LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 371 users in the forums

How long will JimmyG retain the 49ers starting job?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will JimmyG retain the 49ers starting job?

When will Trey takeover as full-time starter?
When will they trade Jimmy G?
2022. Unless Jimmy gets hurt again
I think the over/under is 7 games. Some combination of injury, poor play, and/or Lance just being better than Jimmy will push them to make the switch.

And I doubt heavily that Jimmy will actually get traded, I think he'll get cut. Unless he has a renaissance season. I can't imagine he has much trade value if Bridgewater was traded for a 6th and his contract isn't as big an albatross as Jimmy's is.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Trey will take over mid-season.
1 year. He will likely play all of 2021. 2022 is a different story.
Unless they get a great trade offer, I suspect they will start JimmyG all year but work in Trey as a part-time situational substitute
They will try to build up Jimmy's value over the season and hopefully get more draft picks for him next year
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm hoping Trey Lance shows enough in TC that the 9ers end up trading Jimmy G..
  • JaGuR
  • Veteran
Last time Jimmy had a good OL,. He took us to a super bowl.

Jimmy's last injury was directly related to protection.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

This
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm hoping Trey Lance shows enough in TC that the 9ers end up trading Jimmy G..

You might wanna go ahead and get rid of that thought now. Not happening

At least this season. People are banking a lot on a 20 year old kid that hasn't really played in a year and also played against lower tier talent.
It wouldn't surprise me if we end up starting Lance in week 1. If Jimmy does end up starting and comes out like he did against the Cardinals last year, it won't be long before the switch is made. If Jimmy plays well enough to hold him off all year, then that's only a good thing for us. I just hope Shanahan approaches it as an open competition, at least in TC.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on May 2, 2021 at 10:18 PM ]
A better question is who cares?
1 week before the trade deadline. At least we can get something for him since he's 100% gone after this year
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

Yeah, I agree, 2022 is the year, we're gonna need that $25M in savings to retain guys like Verrett, Jones, Moore, K'Waun, and others. 2022 isn't anywhere near as bad as 2020 was, not many big names are FAs, except Warner, but that'll get done soon enough IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone