LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

How long will JimmyG retain the 49ers starting job?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How long will JimmyG retain the 49ers starting job?

Until the 5th interception or the first injury, whichever comes first.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I think it's a long shot they trade Jimmy, they won't get much, plus we're a super bowl caliber team, we need Jimmy, Lance needs to sit, but they shoul create plays just for him. As Jimmy's contract, I don't think many, if any can fit his salary under their cap. Only the Jags have room after signing their picks, and they don't need a QB. Denver might if they redid some deals but as I have said I'd rather keep him and make SB run.
are we?
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
If this doesn't wake up a fire in Jimmy, I don't know what will......

lol Jimmy had a fantastic 2019, then got injured early because of a crappy OL and it ruined his 2020 season. Where is this narrative that he somehow sucks and needed a fire lit underneath him coming from?

Right now he's a bridge QB which is where you don't want to be as a starting QB. There should be some fire brewing as a competitor.

Except Jimmy isn't looking at this as a lame duck, bridge QB season. His mindset has to be "Im the starter on a SB contending roster. Im going to have a fantastic year and lead this team to a SB victory and force them to question whether drafting a QB was a mistake."

He is getting more than most QB's in his situation get. A shot to prove everyone wrong. Usually teams would just punt the expensive guy, sign a cheap veteran backup to start and mentor the kid in a throwaway season.

I think the improved OL play will keep him healthy this year, and he will be pissed off, which is good.
Originally posted by communist:
I think it's a long shot they trade Jimmy, they won't get much, plus we're a super bowl caliber team, we need Jimmy, Lance needs to sit, but they shoul create plays just for him. As Jimmy's contract, I don't think many, if any can fit his salary under their cap. Only the Jags have room after signing their picks, and they don't need a QB. Denver might if they redid some deals but as I have said I'd rather keep him and make SB run.
are we?

This roster is now healthy, and just as good as the 2019 roster. Not sure why we cant pick back up after SB 54.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Until the 5th interception or the first injury, whichever comes first.

He's going to have to suck it up - because Trey just isn't ready.
Originally posted by mayo49:

From what i have been reading on the internet (all true I'm sure) trey does need to tidy his mechanics.
Reckon Jimmy will stay starter till end of contract unless injured.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Who-is-Hayne:
Originally posted by mayo49:

From what i have been reading on the internet (all true I'm sure) trey does need to tidy his mechanics.
Reckon Jimmy will stay starter till end of contract unless injured.

I don't know about the end of his contract - but, definitely after '21.
are we?

Easily with a reasonable number of injuries. Best roster in the NFC with TB
Until Trey is ready to take over. If our offensive line is better this year, we should be in contention.
If Jimmy stays healthy, plays decent, and we are winning, the whole season. If we are something like 3 and 3 and Jimmy isn't playing well, he will get traded at the deadline.

Midway through training camp.
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
2022. Unless Jimmy gets hurt again

Unless??😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
until 2023
I went with 12 games, I want it to be a year, but I don't trust him to get through a season without injury.
I can't agree with the mid season stuff some people said. Unless of course Jimmy gets hurt.

Keep in mind and this is just my opinion, and yes I was a Fields guy, but Lance overall is really really raw imo. However raw people, including Andy Reid, may have felt that Mahomes was coming into the league, Lance is even more so. Lower level, much lower level of competition and essentially a whole year of not playing.

I saw a comparison between Lance and Cam Newton- hopefully pre Patriots and pre end of Carolina Cam obviously. I can maybe see that and the thing is one of the things Lance needs to reportedly improve upon is his accuracy.

Start him too soon just because and if you luck out you might get an early Kaep type performance because of the obvious physical talent. But you might also get a quick Kaep type bottoming out too as the league makes adjustments. Now I suspect Lance is more committed to the game and has a higher football intellect to keep that from happening. But it could conceivably take place.

I just can't envision a scenario in which a healthy Jimmy plays poorly enough to get benched. He's rarely if ever been the sole or chief reason we've lost a game when he's been in there, no matter what some might say. Whereas there were games this past season that we probably lost because of Nick Mullens.

But we will see. I voted 1 year.
Share 49ersWebzone