LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

2020 49ers Draft Grade & Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online

2020 49ers Draft Grade & Analysis

Originally posted by NCommand:
Given that 95% of all draft grades 'really' range from A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, on JUST the players themselves (not including team needs), I'd say B on just talent alone and A- on scheme fit. B+

Volume is low: C+
Top team needs: C+ (no pass rush, pass protection or pass defense)

I thought it was amazing that we went through the entire draft and didn't select a single player in our biggest position of need iol.

But we jump through hoops give up a fourth-rounder to move up 6 spots so we can wr8 who immediately goes under the knife for core surgery. Not going to lie. Not sure I see that one.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
The fact that the 49ers passed on their pick of the WRs with their 1st pick speaks volumes to what they thought of Kinlaw as a prospect. It also speaks volumes to what they think of the guys already on the roster. Remember Thomas and Jones are in contract years (I'd imagine they will NOT pick up Solly's option) and Taylor may be nothing more than a bottom of the rotation role player. With Armstead and Bosa entrenched as the starting DEs for the next few years, I don't agree with spending a 1st on a #3 DE, regardless of how you feel about Ford's/Blair's future with the team. Beyond that, the alternate draft looks just as good.

Agree. I keep forgetting that Armstead is a DE (as well as a 3rd down DT) and Ford, I believe, plays on the strong side of the defense. That means we have, in a sense, three good DE's in Bosa, Ford and Armstead. I can see why they didn't draft DE help despite Ford's health issues. Having said that, I hope we go defense in the first round again next year - preferably another can't miss Bosa 2.0
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Given that 95% of all draft grades 'really' range from A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, on JUST the players themselves (not including team needs), I'd say B on just talent alone and A- on scheme fit. B+

uhhh Kinlaw and Trent Williams?

Pass protection is NC's bone to chew on. Gives him a purpose in life.
My draft grades: Check with me in 5 years.

Compared to what we already had last year (Staley and Buckner). Those are parallel 'talent' moves.

but you gave the draft a C+ because we didnt address team needs based on your own criteria when we did in this draft
Originally posted by ritz126:

Compared to what we already had last year (Staley and Buckner). Those are parallel 'talent' moves.

but you gave the draft a C+ because we didnt address team needs based on your own criteria when we did in this draft

How does one not have WR in top 3 of team needs?

Ah ok. I read your post as they didn't do anything to address pass rush or pass protection.

No worries. Could you imagine if we didn't get TW for Staley? Buckner, I think we could get by with our experienced rotation and probably a veteran cut but, LT...that would have been scary enough to start BeatHard again.
Originally posted by miked1978:

I had WR as a need too. Definitely right up there but with Kittle averaging 8 targets and 1,300 yards and Deebo's 6.5, finding an X to get 5 targets a game wasn't AS huge a need studying Kyle's offense. But I'm stoked he got Aiyuk!

IOL
CB
ER
XWR
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 5:13 PM ]

On top team needs addressed coming into the draft. On talent, B+
We got 7 guys and if we have 4 slots available i will be amazed. But that is what made this draft so unique....7 PICKS total. Sounds like a jerry jones deal from yrs past . Point is we can't have more than 4-5 slots open unless we are improving some of our 2nd tier or rotational players, and GM John made a real improvement last yr with increasing talent in the rotational or subs players.

Even then we got snakebit in the SB, not having Dee, DJ Jones, Blair and Richburg. If all those guys had really top flite substitutes, who knows how the SB would have gone.. Our OL got killed in the SB , mainly right thru Center and also RG. Laken didn't cover himself in glory either. Even Joe had some misses in Pass pro, and some of that it's just being 36 yrs old/young. Sad to see him go, but TW will be a heckuva replacement. Nobody can be Joe , tho.

The only thing we really didn't get was a good cover Corner, (nor an OG who could snap the ball)...but we sure filled in the other slots. McKivitz will be really interesting to see how he does. And we got a real bad boy in Shaune, but a lot of really good testimonials as to how good he is. Overall, we sure seemed to fill in the slots we needed, but i would have liked an OT to play OG for a couple yrs from rounds 2 -3.

"But we had no picks there !" Yeah, i know, just sayin'

The nut crusher was the TW deal which i still believe was done by handshake (over the phone) BEFORE the draft ever started. I just don't believe GM/HC made a gamble that big without having it in the works before the first pick was made. Also, Riverboat Ron Rivera is NOT Danny Snyder. He is a smart guy, a football guy and didn't want an all pro LT not seeing any field time for the second yr in a row. And TW had a legit beef. Also little Danny Snyder is a horse's patoot and TW wasn't playing for him. Rivera got something out of nothing.

We , OTOH, got a ton(TW) out of not very much. So that is part of draft also, draft day. Trades. And it was a pistol .

Of course, like everyone else , can't wait for Javon and Aiyuc to show their stuff, but good Lord, their film is un-fricking-believable. Liked the McKivitz, TE, and WR picks also. Man i hope our WR makes the team because he is one mean son of a gun on football field. Also NEON DEION is high on him as his son plays at Tenn and he has seen him a lot. McKivitz was a total unknown adn just early film on him looks intriguing,

Overall it was quality over quantity, and this isn't 2017 anymore when KS and JL had to start all over. Now they have a SB team and were looking for particular parts. I think they did a bang up job. But, as Thl posted, ask me in 5 yrs. or in Javon's case and Aiyuc's case , later this yr.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 28, 2020 at 5:36 PM ]

Originally posted by miked1978:

Not to mention they had the #1 pass defense and pass rush last year., so seems a little odd those are in the top 3 needs. However I do get that Ford has some issues and quite a few CBs are FAs next year, but neither seems to supersede WR IMO
  • evil
  • Veteran

Does McKivitz not count as pass pro then ?

nope dont count. pass rush == DE/EDGE and Trent is a breakeven replacement for JOE.

needs of the team were not addressed.
Originally posted by evil:
Does McKivitz not count as pass pro then ?

no.

On top team needs addressed coming into the draft. On talent, B+

no need to explain. your point is completely correct and self evident. the major team needs we didnt address were iol pass pro, and de rush (cuz dee will take 300 snaps next season if we are lucky). instead we drafted t, te, wr. how smart is that. what is so hard to understand about that, that we went completely off our need based schedule.
Share 49ersWebzone