There are 251 users in the forums

2020 49ers Draft Grade & Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online

2020 49ers Draft Grade & Analysis

After day 1, I was giving a C-. But by the time day 3 was over, WOW, A- lol.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
Given that 95% of all draft grades 'really' range from A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, on JUST the players themselves (not including team needs), I'd say B on just talent alone and A- on scheme fit. B+

Volume is low: C+
Top team needs: C+ (no pass rush, pass protection or pass defense)

uhhh Kinlaw and Trent Williams?
  • thl408
I've posted this in multiple places but here it is again:

Day 1 recap:
49ers trade #13 overall + #245 (7th round) to the Buccaneers.
49ers receive the Buccaneers #14 overall and #117 (4th round)
#14: DT Javon Kinlaw

49ers trade #31 overall + #117 (4th rounder from TB trade) + #176 (5th rounder) to Vikings.
49ers receive #25 overall
#25 WR Brandon Aiyuk

Day 3 recap:
49ers trade #156 (5th rounder) + 2021 3rd round pick to Redskins
49ers receive OT Trent Williams

49ers trade RB Matt Breida to Dolphins
49ers receive #153 (5th rounder)
#153: OT Colton McKivitz

49ers trade #210 (6th rounder) + Marquise Goodwin to Eagles
49ers receive #190 (6th rounder)
#190: TE Charlie Woerner

#217 WR Jauan Jennings
If you include the TW trade, I don't know why anyone wouldn't, the grade is an A or A+
Originally posted by thl408:
I've posted this in multiple places but here it is again:

Day 1 recap:
49ers trade #13 overall + #245 (7th round) to the Buccaneers.
49ers receive the Buccaneers #14 overall and #117 (4th round)
#14: DT Javon Kinlaw

49ers trade #31 overall + #117 (4th rounder from TB trade) + #176 (5th rounder) to Vikings.
49ers receive #25 overall
#25 WR Brandon Aiyuk

Day 3 recap:
49ers trade #156 (5th rounder) + 2021 3rd round pick to Redskins
49ers receive OT Trent Williams

49ers trade RB Matt Breida to Dolphins
49ers receive #153 (5th rounder)
#153: OT Colton McKivitz

49ers trade #210 (6th rounder) + Marquise Goodwin to Eagles
49ers receive #190 (6th rounder)
#190: TE Charlie Woerner

#217 WR Jauan Jennings

This is the one to watch. In the long term, this might be the best value in trade return of this draft.

And I'm rooting for both Breida and Colton
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Hiya, fellas. Well, the dust has settled after Draft Weekend, and it's about time I busted out the annual draft grade and pick evaluation. After that, I'll give you my selections as if I had been running the draft and had been fully aware as well that Joe Staley wasn't returning. Let's get started.

1. Javon Kinlaw-DT-South Carolina / Pick Grade: A
I really can't complain too much about this pick. He was arguably the best DT in the class this year, and he was only one slot behind Lamb on my board. He will be an immediate starter for us and is a perfect fit in our scheme. While he may not be an all-star right out of the gate, I expect the talent around him in Jones/Bosa/Ford/AA to help give him opportunities to showcase his playmaking ability early on in 1 on 1 matchups. Overall, not a bad pick at all.

1. Brandon Aiyuk-WR-Arizona State / Pick Grade: B
He was neck and neck with the other receivers on the board at this point, so while I didn't grade him as a top 25 pick, I also have been keen to express that I see the ceiling is quite high, especially in our system. His raw talent make me feel like his "best case scenario" could be something on the level of OBJ, but as I've said elsewhere, a safe bet seems to be somewhere around the Stefon Diggs trajectory which make the late 1st to early 2nd seem appropriate for where he should've gone. Yes, Aiyuk wasn't my favorite receiver in this class, but I don't think we got a bad value here at this spot.

5. Colton McKivitz-OL-West Virginia / Pick Grade: A
Having already selected a WR and DT, our next highest need was most certainly OL, and we took one here. Keith Ishmael and Nick Harris were two OL prospects still on the board but I would NOT have taken either of them here. In fact, I'm not sure I would've touched either until the 6th or 7th round at least. McKivitz' was not a guy I had had a chance to watch but after reviewing his film, his tape was clearly superior to the two previously mentioned players. I also think he was a better prospect than Prince Tega Wanogho -- a player who is a waist-bender, slow out of his stance and whose movement looks rather sloppy at times. Jon Runyan Jr could've been an option here, but I don't think he'd offer true OT capability in the NFL and certainly don't think he is a viable swing tackle candidate like McKivitz might be. So, after thorough review, I think we actually made the right pick here. Kudos, Shanalynch.

6. Charlie Woener-TE-Georgia / Pick Grade: C
At this point, I really wanted us to look as pass rush depth because I'm not a fan of trusting players with injury histories like Blair and Ford, and even to an extent Bosa before he got to the NFL. I know Derek Tuszka went late in the 7th, but I thought he was worth more than that, and would've picked him here instead. I know he's a phenomenal blocker, but there were several other TEs on the board that went later or undrafted that I think might've offered more collective value to us.

7. Jauan Jennings-WR-Tennessee / Pick Grade: B+
While he had talent well above the 7th round grade, his character questions stemming from lack of emotional control were the level of an undraftable player. If he has put all that behind him, he has the raw potential to greatly outplay his draft position and be a potential steal for us. He was worth a flier in the 7th, and definitely should provide healthy competition and insurance to a WR group that needs more talent, toughness, and durability.

Summary & Overall Draft Grade: B+

I think overall, despite that lack of picks, we did a really nice job. I have my nitpicks, but can't really complain too much about this class. Could I have done better? Hmm. Maybe. I'll share what I would've done now.

If I ran through the draft and went off my personal board/BPA while knowing Staley was retiring, these would've been my picks:

Round 1, Pick 14: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
Round 1, Pick 31: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State
Round 4, Pick 117: James Lynch, DT, Baylor
Round 5, Pick 153: Darnell Mooney, WR, Tulane
Round 6, Pick 190: Jon Runyan Jr, OL, Michigan
Round 7, Pick 217: Charlie Taumoepeau, TE, Portland State

Notes: As evidenced here by it being missing, I definitely would've traded pick 156 and next year's 3rd for Trent Williams as well. I graded Lamb and Gross-Matos as first round talents. Lynch, I graded as a 2nd-3rd round talent and I think he could've started at 3T. Mooney a 3rd round talent. Runyan a 5th, and Taumoepeau a 5th-6th. So all would've been value picks at those spots to me. I think we could've easily addressed our WR depth, pass rush depth, IOL depth, and TE depth by going my route, but time will tell if I was right.
The draft grade feels a little incomplete. How ever you feel about it you have to look at Is Ford more valuable than who was available at the 2nd they traded. Is Trent Williams more valuable than the 5th and next year's 3rd which may be a wash if he leaves in free agency and they get a comp pick. Speaking of comp pick will they receive one for Sanders? Then you have to figure out Sanders value compared to the picks. A lot there to discuss.
Hiya, fellas. Well, the dust has settled after Draft Weekend, and it's about time I busted out the annual draft grade and pick evaluation. After that, I'll give you my selections as if I had been running the draft and had been fully aware as well that Joe Staley wasn't returning. Let's get started.

1. Javon Kinlaw-DT-South Carolina / Pick Grade: A
I really can't complain too much about this pick. He was arguably the best DT in the class this year, and he was only one slot behind Lamb on my board. He will be an immediate starter for us and is a perfect fit in our scheme. While he may not be an all-star right out of the gate, I expect the talent around him in Jones/Bosa/Ford/AA to help give him opportunities to showcase his playmaking ability early on in 1 on 1 matchups. Overall, not a bad pick at all.

1. Brandon Aiyuk-WR-Arizona State / Pick Grade: B
He was neck and neck with the other receivers on the board at this point, so while I didn't grade him as a top 25 pick, I also have been keen to express that I see the ceiling is quite high, especially in our system. His raw talent make me feel like his "best case scenario" could be something on the level of OBJ, but as I've said elsewhere, a safe bet seems to be somewhere around the Stefon Diggs trajectory which make the late 1st to early 2nd seem appropriate for where he should've gone. Yes, Aiyuk wasn't my favorite receiver in this class, but I don't think we got a bad value here at this spot.

5. Colton McKivitz-OL-West Virginia / Pick Grade: A
Having already selected a WR and DT, our next highest need was most certainly OL, and we took one here. Keith Ishmael and Nick Harris were two OL prospects still on the board but I would NOT have taken either of them here. In fact, I'm not sure I would've touched either until the 6th or 7th round at least. McKivitz' was not a guy I had had a chance to watch but after reviewing his film, his tape was clearly superior to the two previously mentioned players. I also think he was a better prospect than Prince Tega Wanogho -- a player who is a waist-bender, slow out of his stance and whose movement looks rather sloppy at times. Jon Runyan Jr could've been an option here, but I don't think he'd offer true OT capability in the NFL and certainly don't think he is a viable swing tackle candidate like McKivitz might be. So, after thorough review, I think we actually made the right pick here. Kudos, Shanalynch.

6. Charlie Woener-TE-Georgia / Pick Grade: C
At this point, I really wanted us to look as pass rush depth because I'm not a fan of trusting players with injury histories like Blair and Ford, and even to an extent Bosa before he got to the NFL. I know Derek Tuszka went late in the 7th, but I thought he was worth more than that, and would've picked him here instead. I know he's a phenomenal blocker, but there were several other TEs on the board that went later or undrafted that I think might've offered more collective value to us.

7. Jauan Jennings-WR-Tennessee / Pick Grade: B+
While he had talent well above the 7th round grade, his character questions stemming from lack of emotional control were the level of an undraftable player. If he has put all that behind him, he has the raw potential to greatly outplay his draft position and be a potential steal for us. He was worth a flier in the 7th, and definitely should provide healthy competition and insurance to a WR group that needs more talent, toughness, and durability.

Summary & Overall Draft Grade: B+

I think overall, despite that lack of picks, we did a really nice job. I have my nitpicks, but can't really complain too much about this class. Could I have done better? Hmm. Maybe. I'll share what I would've done now.

If I ran through the draft and went off my personal board/BPA while knowing Staley was retiring, these would've been my picks:

Round 1, Pick 14: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
Round 1, Pick 31: Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State
Round 4, Pick 117: James Lynch, DT, Baylor
Round 5, Pick 153: Darnell Mooney, WR, Tulane
Round 6, Pick 190: Jon Runyan Jr, OL, Michigan
Round 7, Pick 217: Charlie Taumoepeau, TE, Portland State

Notes: As evidenced here by it being missing, I definitely would've traded pick 156 and next year's 3rd for Trent Williams as well. I graded Lamb and Gross-Matos as first round talents. Lynch, I graded as a 2nd-3rd round talent and I think he could've started at 3T. Mooney a 3rd round talent. Runyan a 5th, and Taumoepeau a 5th-6th. So all would've been value picks at those spots to me. I think we could've easily addressed our WR depth, pass rush depth, IOL depth, and TE depth by going my route, but time will tell if I was right.

Good stuff!

I gave it a solid B to B+ with the trent Williams trade (along with moving Brieda/Goodwin).

Kinlaw-Deep down in my plums I KNEW he was gonna be the pick...part of me was praying we went in a different direction. Taking 5 DL in the 1st in 6 yrs is a head scratcher. We should be spreading out that top end talent across the team IMO. It's a reason we had to move Buck as well. As far as the prospect? I thought he was DT1 in this draft. He's an absolute unit. Guys his size shouldn't move like he does. He's a f**king ox. I had a top 15 grade on him.

Aiyuk-Frustrated at first over this. I ALSO knew as soon as they moved up, he was gonna be the guy. I didn't have him as a top 25 prospect. I think he was my 8th overall WR (have to check). Overall not the direction I would have went BUT Kyle got his guy so I'm on board. I'm glad they got one of the top 10 WRs.

Colton McKivitz- I'll be honest, I don't know a thing about him. I think he's more a tackle then a guard at the next level BUT again let's see. Kinda another head scratcher after they traded for Trent.

Charlie Woener-I get this pick, he's our blocking TE and backup FB. I thought they would have went after Hunter Bryant.

Jauan Jennings- I love this pick at this pt...he's a straight dog and his upside at this pt is worth it.

How I would have went.

14: Lamb WR
31: Blacklock DT
4: Jack Driscoll OL
5: Bryce Hall CB
5:from Miami: Trevis Gipson EDGE
6th: Hunter Bryant TE
7th: Jennings WR
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 28, 2020 at 12:53 PM ]
Talking about just the actual draft picks, I'm going with B. I thought the assets given up to move from 31 to 25 was a bit high (the addition of the 5th rounder) although I don't know much about pick value and pick calculators. Just seemed a bit high, but they really wanted Aiyuk so do what you gotta do.

The McKovitz pick was a bit puzzling for me in that they just acquired Trent Williams and think highly of Shon Coleman, enough to bring him back. Unless McKovitz is slotted for Guard competition, where does he fit with Coleman and Skule on board? I would have liked to see a CB/S drafted at the 5th rounder to give that group some potential depth. No idea what DB to pick as my big board is 15 players deep, if that.

The Woerner pick I really like because he will replace Toilolo as the gritty inline blocking TE. That's good value for a 6th rounder. Got a contributor.

Kinlaw to tandem with Bosa has high potential and I'm really excited for what that duo can do.

So for just the actual draft picks, I'm giving a B. Factor in Trent Williams (wow), getting value for Goodwin who I thought would not be tradeable, and getting a 5th for Breida (McKovitz ) makes the three day event an A.

I think they'll groom him like they did with Brunskill and try him at both T/G. Our FA pick-up Compton offers no upside and is an even worse option than Garland as a swing IOL. Last year, Staley, Coleman, and SKule all battled injuries, so I figure they favor having a 4th string swing T, lol. I think we want to be sure we utilize our players' versatility and McKivitz has the edge over Compton and Reynolds in that regard.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 28, 2020 at 12:15 PM ]
Great breakdown, ty.
Any chance you'd have time to break down the undrafted free agents as well?

Given that 95% of all draft grades 'really' range from A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, on JUST the players themselves (not including team needs), I'd say B on just talent alone and A- on scheme fit. B+

Compared to what we already had last year (Staley and Buckner). Those are parallel 'talent' moves.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2020 at 2:11 PM ]
I think they'll groom him like they did with Brunskill and try him at both T/G. Our FA pick-up Compton offers no upside and is an even worse option than Garland as a swing IOL. Last year, Staley, Coleman, and SKule all battled injuries, so I figure they favor having a 4th string swing T, lol. I think we want to be sure we utilize our players' versatility and McKivitz has the edge over Compton and Reynolds in that regard.

He's already wearing Mike Person's number 68. He's a G now.

I really appreciate your efforts here on this post AND your objectively and willingness to put your own out there too.
  • thl408

Compared to what we already had last year (Staley and Buckner). Those are parallel 'talent' moves.

Ah ok. I read your post as they didn't do anything to address pass rush or pass protection.
IMO, this draft was a solid B, maybe a B+. Aiyuk was a reach at 25. He would have still been there at 31 for us and we could have saved ourselves a 4th and 5th round pick. Gave up too much to move up 6 spots for a player that was likely going to be there at 31. Also, no CBs taken in the rest of the draft. A TE was higher priority then a CB? Really? Otherwise, I have no problems with the rest of the picks and UDFAs.
Share 49ersWebzone