There are 218 users in the forums

Make no mistake, Draft Defense First - or the 49ers offense will have no chance at the end

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Defo needs a replacement and this draft, we are in a position to actually get a much better prospect than Defo during his rookie year. With all compliments Defo received he never was a pro bowler - watching him over the years, he really lacked the big guy strength that dominates OLs. This draft we can actually get one, ala Reggie White level!
[ Edited by 49ersam-II on Mar 23, 2020 at 6:09 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersam-II:
Defo needs a replacement and this draft, we are in a position to actually get a much better prospect than Defo during his rookie year. With all compliments Defo received he never was a pro bowler - watching him over the years, he really lacked the big guy strength that dominates OLs. This draft we can actually get one, ala Reggie White level!

Credibility = 0 when you state the bolded.

That's a big 10 no from me.

Now if we think a defensive prospect is BPA and it's possible with Brown/Kinlaw potentially available but our DL is still very strong as long as it stays healthy(something that can be said for any position/team in the NFL)

The Super Bowl result is the perfect example of the NFL being different these days. There was a stat thrown around something like any team that had more than 45 sacks and went to the SB was undefeated...until we lost last year.

The NFL is all about offense these days, the rules are about it, FF love is all about it and it appears the refs "let teams play". When that happens you better have a well rounded offense that can take advantage of the refs allowing holding by the OL.

Our DL was our strength but the refs basically nailed our foot to the ground.

Best way to overcome Buckner's loss? Put up a ton of points and make the opposing offense unable to run the ball. Because as good as Buckner was a pass rushing DL of Bosa, Thomas/Jones/Taylor, Armstead, Ford is still pretty impressive. Let them pin their ears back and rush and we're in good shape.
The team still has 4 1st rounders on the d line. It will be just fine providing they can stay healthy.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Originally posted by genus49:

That's a big 10 no from me.

Now if we think a defensive prospect is BPA and it's possible with Brown/Kinlaw potentially available but our DL is still very strong as long as it stays healthy(something that can be said for any position/team in the NFL)

The Super Bowl result is the perfect example of the NFL being different these days. There was a stat thrown around something like any team that had more than 45 sacks and went to the SB was undefeated...until we lost last year.

The NFL is all about offense these days, the rules are about it, FF love is all about it and it appears the refs "let teams play". When that happens you better have a well rounded offense that can take advantage of the refs allowing holding by the OL.

Our DL was our strength but the refs basically nailed our foot to the ground.

Best way to overcome Buckner's loss? Put up a ton of points and make the opposing offense unable to run the ball. Because as good as Buckner was a pass rushing DL of Bosa, Thomas/Jones/Taylor, Armstead, Ford is still pretty impressive. Let them pin their ears back and rush and we're in good shape.

Perfect points, genus. You nailed it.

KC got us out of our element. We wound up having to pass when we didn't want to. Our interior got eaten alive because that was their biggest weakness. You score points, the other team has to pass. We got behind late and had no choice. Overall, it's never necessarily one or the other. You have to be good enough collectively to win. Ultimately, we've just got to add the pieces that make us the most complete team possible.

Our most glaring weakness were clear from last year (in no particular order):

1. Deep speed and separation / jump ball threat at WR
2. Interior PP
3. Quality LB depth (Al-Shaair/Lee/Nzeocha the reserves behind Warner/Kwon/Greenlaw)
4. Quality S depth (Marcell Harris....)
5. The ability to stay healthy in certain areas.

We had a TON of DL depth last year, but somehow, we lost just about every bit of it. Ford got hurt, then Blair got hurt, then Damontre Moore got hurt, then Jullian Taylor got hurt, then Jones got hurt, Street came off IR then went back on it. That's more than half the DL. No team can carry enough on the roster to overcome that amount of injuries on their line.
Originally posted by English:

Somebody que up that gif of DeFo b***h slapping Quentin Nelson outta his way.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
you get a elite wide out with the first pick and then with the second number one or if the team trades down.. then you get a very very good defensive lineman in my opinion. i also have no time for people to dump on guys like buck and sanders just because they are no longer on the team
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
you get a elite wide out with the first pick and then with the second number one or if the team trades down.. then you get a very very good defensive lineman in my opinion. i also have no time for people to dump on guys like buck and sanders just because they are no longer on the team

cc does not like to put all of his eggs into one basket.... i could see a good case for a very very good o line guy with the second pick as well pushing a d line guy down the board a titch further

cc does not like to put all of his eggs into one basket.... i could see a good case for a very very good o line guy with the second pick as well pushing a d line guy down the board a titch further

Now that I would like. We still have a strong d line although not as good as it was with Buckner. But I would certainly like to see the O line strengthened.

Completely disagree. I think we have a ton of strong options to replace DeFo with a rotation. Plus I could see DJ developing into a 3 down player.
Not saying I'm against drafting a DL at some point but not at 13.
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by English:

Somebody que up that gif of DeFo b***h slapping Quentin Nelson outta his way.

Did I miss something? When did they play against each other?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
When I look at the 49er offense last year, you're correct in assessing that we didn't have a WR outside of Sanders who could create consistent separation and have deep speed. I struggle with a WR as the first priority because the reason why our passing game was essentially middle of the field and slant heavy is simply because PP doesn't consistently hold. For me it's not accident that Kittle is a star and a YAC king. If we look at Deebo, it's the same. I don't know if it's that we can't consistently attack deep because we don't have enough speed versus we're not holding up in PP. I see a lot of short passing when I go through and look at 49er passing games, granted prior to Sanders there were separation issues, but more likely than not it appears to be both.

I can't see us taking advantage of an elite WR if we don't have the PP to execute great passing plays. I'd recommend items 1 and 2 are linked.

Thoughts bud?

They are linked but in the case of Ruggs just because he's got blazing speed doesn't mean all you're throwing are go routes or other long developing routes. Guys like Ruggs can take a slant all the way to the house.

The threat of the deep speed alone helps the offense and keeps the defense honest.

I'd also say your odds of finding a well rounded speed guy like Ruggs later in the draft are limited but finding a pretty good IOL are better later in the draft.

I definitely think WR is a key need for us with so many unknowns but IOL has to be fixed. I think the team may like Brunskill inside instead of Person and assuming Richburg is back healthy then the pass blocking inside would look a hell of a lot better than i did in the SB.

However I can also certainly see us go with one of the top OTs left on the board at 13 to play RG until Joe is ready to retire and then go WR in a deep class with 31 or after a trade down. I just think we'll be looking at potentially the 4th best OT in the class vs the 1/2 best WR in the class. And to me if Ruggs is there I think he's Kyle's #1 WR.
If we can get Ruggs or Jeudy's thick booty we'll be set at wideout
Who's the Reggie White type prospect in this draft?
Share 49ersWebzone