LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 206 users in the forums

Make no mistake, Draft Defense First - or the 49ers offense will have no chance at the end

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Who's the Reggie White type prospect in this draft?
Chase Young has the chance to be generational but we have no shot
[ Edited by FredFlintstone on Mar 23, 2020 at 8:16 AM ]
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Well yeah. Buts he's talking about big boy strength and Chase would replace Ford not DeFo. On top of the idea that trading up to get Chase would sacrafice our future which is the exact reason we traded DeFo was for a future.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by cciowa:
you get a elite wide out with the first pick and then with the second number one or if the team trades down.. then you get a very very good defensive lineman in my opinion. i also have no time for people to dump on guys like buck and sanders just because they are no longer on the team

cc does not like to put all of his eggs into one basket.... i could see a good case for a very very good o line guy with the second pick as well pushing a d line guy down the board a titch further

Now that I would like. We still have a strong d line although not as good as it was with Buckner. But I would certainly like to see the O line strengthened.

english and i agree. i checked the weather channel and indeed hell has frozen over
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The team still has 4 1st rounders on the d line. It will be just fine providing they can stay healthy.

Nick Bosa Arik Armstead, DJ Jones, Dee Ford starters

Ronald Blair (most underated signing this off season) Jullian (doing great until injury) Solomon thomas Kentavius Street

Nah, you can go offense at pick 13, and see what happens at 31, I am hoping to trade down and get a 2nd and 3rd.
if we draft another DL at 13 i'm going to join the list of complainers on this forum
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by 49ersam-II:
Defo needs a replacement and this draft, we are in a position to actually get a much better prospect than Defo during his rookie year. With all compliments Defo received he never was a pro bowler - watching him over the years, he really lacked the big guy strength that dominates OLs. This draft we can actually get one, ala Reggie White level!

Credibility = 0 when you state the bolded.

or saying something like this too.

"we are in a position to actually get a much better prospect than Defo during his rookie year."

SMH
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
The team still has 4 1st rounders on the d line. It will be just fine providing they can stay healthy.

Ronald Blair (most underated signing this off season) Jullian (doing great until injury) Solomon thomas Kentavius Street

Nah, you can go offense at pick 13, and see what happens at 31, I am hoping to trade down and get a 2nd and 3rd.

thomas is the least trust worthy of the group. as english said, i would be fine going o line guy with our second pick no matter where we pick at and then get a d line guy, remember we have to handle ford with care. can aa repeat? there are question marks there
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49ersam-II:
Defo needs a replacement and this draft, we are in a position to actually get a much better prospect than Defo during his rookie year. With all compliments Defo received he never was a pro bowler - watching him over the years, he really lacked the big guy strength that dominates OLs. This draft we can actually get one, ala Reggie White level!

That's a big 10 no from me.

Now if we think a defensive prospect is BPA and it's possible with Brown/Kinlaw potentially available but our DL is still very strong as long as it stays healthy(something that can be said for any position/team in the NFL)

The Super Bowl result is the perfect example of the NFL being different these days. There was a stat thrown around something like any team that had more than 45 sacks and went to the SB was undefeated...until we lost last year.

The NFL is all about offense these days, the rules are about it, FF love is all about it and it appears the refs "let teams play". When that happens you better have a well rounded offense that can take advantage of the refs allowing holding by the OL.

Our DL was our strength but the refs basically nailed our foot to the ground.

Best way to overcome Buckner's loss? Put up a ton of points and make the opposing offense unable to run the ball. Because as good as Buckner was a pass rushing DL of Bosa, Thomas/Jones/Taylor, Armstead, Ford is still pretty impressive. Let them pin their ears back and rush and we're in good shape.

Agree - very much so. We need major point production. If we had scored after KC turned it over - we'd have won.

However, IMO, whoever we pick at 13 will be impactful.

Probably Kinlaw. Lamb, Jeudi or best OT.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Well yeah. Buts he's talking about big boy strength and Chase would replace Ford not DeFo. On top of the idea that trading up to get Chase would sacrafice our future which is the exact reason we traded DeFo was for a future.

Brown DT - no chance on getting him either.
Originally posted by WestCoastO:
If we can get Ruggs or Jeudy's thick booty we'll be set at wideout

I'm all in on that unless we give up pick 31 for obj and trade back a little from 13 to acquire a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Then again I might rather have a sure fire starter at 13 rather than a Pettis or Witherspoon in the second or third.

Yes, we have to put our resources in other areas because we can't keep drafting the same positional group

thomas is the least trust worthy of the group. as english said, i would be fine going o line guy with our second pick no matter where we pick at and then get a d line guy, remember we have to handle ford with care. can aa repeat? there are question marks there

Agree cc!

ST must prove a lot this upcoming season. At this point he isn't worth what he's being paid.

We also, IMO, must improve our OLine. JG needs more interior protection as proven in the SB.

I have a lot of faith in JL/KS in the draft.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Agree cc!

ST must prove a lot this upcoming season. At this point he isn't worth what he's being paid.

We also, IMO, must improve our OLine. JG needs more interior protection as proven in the SB.

I have a lot of faith in JL/KS in the draft.

yes... i think i am moving away from a d line guy with the second pick and picking up a really good o line guy
It been said by much better draftniks than me, " you draft the player not the position "... which should always be taken with-in the context of any particular teams FO/philosophy.
I won't go into the BPA vs need debate, suffice to say that I believe in a lot of what is said by great blue draft report or the huddle report under the draft philosophy sections. Overall, For me it's simple, that on drafting players you want, is if it's a close call between talent/ value. Vs team need, you go with team needs.
Do to the Buckner trade we have many more options now than before, I think our FO has shown to be good at getting the most out of those options come draft day. As many have said, it's very likely that we trade back from one of those 1st round spots to recuperate some draft stock in the early rounds. From my reading, it seems that at #13 we should still just be in the running for a top tier/ blue chipper type player. This FO believes strongly in a team first committment by all players and staff, team continuity, strong individual player character and perseverance, that ain't changing anytime soon imo.
Go Niners
I agree.

That defensive depth got us to the dance.
Share 49ersWebzone