There are 229 users in the forums

DL or CB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Let's assume it would take an avg salary of 14m to sign Byron Jones or resign Armstead. What do you do?
An argument can be made that Jones and a DL in rd 1 may be a better long term play than Armstead and a CB in rd 1
Well, make the argument then! Personally I like to keep the team together as far as possible.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm going Armstead all day!!! He was a big reason the defense took a step forward and the defense already has Emmanuel Mosley who should only get better with experience.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Armstead.

He already knows the scheme, is a cultural fit and liked within the locker room and is a versatile player up front. AA plays inside and out, tough to find a guy who can step in and do that from day one.

Moseley and Sherm will lock down the outside spots as is, so any rookie corner would not be needed to start from day 1. Rookie also gets penciled in behind AW on day 1 so less pressure to perform early and will have time to adjust to the pro game and develop and learn this scheme. Rookie also has one of the better mentors sitting in front of him in Sherman.
AA, then our #1 pick on a CB
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Agree with all above. Keep AA, draft a Corner
AA cause Byron Jones is a man corner and about as good as Moseley. Just cause he's good in Madden doesn't make it reality
Yep, hes a versatile player, a 2 for 1er. Can play outside and inside. That adds to his value.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
AA cause Byron Jones is a man corner and about as good as Moseley. Just cause he's good in Madden doesn't make it reality

Yup. No need to overpay to go the Darrell Revis/Miami Dolphins route (screech crash).
Keep AA. Keep our DLine in tact and look to the draft for CB. We saw what this group can done. It took illegal holding to stop them

AA is like a worse version of Calais Campbell, and is worth keeping. We do need another corner eventually so hopefully will get that in free agency or the draft this year or next
Originally posted by elguapo:
AA is like a worse version of Calais Campbell, and is worth keeping. We do need another corner eventually so hopefully will get that in free agency or the draft this year or next

We need a CB now. I don't trust a UDFA who started how many games (?) and already blew his assignment on the biggest play of the year, and maybe his career. Moseley should be a valued backup. And he's an upgrade from the 5th rounder who we had to bench because he just kept getting burned again and again, like he did last year.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

We need a CB now. I don't trust a UDFA who started how many games (?) and already blew his assignment on the biggest play of the year, and maybe his career. Moseley should be a valued backup. And he's an upgrade from the 5th rounder who we had to bench because he just kept getting burned again and again, like he did last year.

You don't think we could roll with the same corners as we had last year? Especially if we keep our line together on defense we should produce close to the same result, maybe even better with one more year playing in the same system.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

You don't think we could roll with the same corners as we had last year? Especially if we keep our line together on defense we should produce close to the same result, maybe even better with one more year playing in the same system.

I repeat:

Moseley - only started a couple games in his entire career, and already blew it. He'd have a bullseye on his chest all season long.
Spoon - been there seen it done it.

Nope, I do not trust that position.
How about ol? I think you have to add that position.
Share 49ersWebzone