LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

What Players Will Not Be on the Roster Next Season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by English:
Pettit will probably be gone as he didn't even suit up. Maybe Goodwin. But before you start cutting Sanders, Beathard and Spoon, we don't have that many picks to replace them. Sanders is worth hanging on to and I don't give upon Spoon. With Beathard, it depends on what we get offered.

Armstead and Goodwin are most likely gone. I don't see Beathard getting cut because Shanahan wants three QB's on the roster. The only way he gets cut is if he's due a large contract hike. I don't see the team giving up on Witherspoon either. There are two wideouts on IR who will most likely play a role next year.

Pettis' fate rests with what happens to Sanders. If the 49ers get Sanders to agree to a three-year incentive laden deal, I don't think Pettis makes the cut.
Originally posted by matt49er:
I'm in the minority but I see the front office doing what AB laid out on his website to keep the majority of the team together.

Restructure Jimmy G, Kwon and Fords contracts

Extend Juice & Sherman and reduce next seasons numbers on their new deals

Either cut McKinnon or he comes back on a drastically reduced 1-2 year deal.

Cut Goodwin

Designate S.Thomas as a June cut which saves some $

Deals for Bournce, Brieda, Garland, Blaire & a few others won't cost much

Extend Kittle & Buckner AND resign AA, Sanders

Ward imo is a guy they'll have a hard number on they won't go over and if he he doesn't comeback for that, safety is the pick at 31.

Are you sure? Am I reading it wrong on Over The Cap? Looks to me like the whole cap number is dead money for Thomas if he's cut, with $0 in cap savings if he's cut in the second category. I think the only way we can save half of his number is if he is traded.
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers/
Thomas is the least of our problems, if you even think he's a problem...

Guys like Goodwin and Pettis are a waste of roster spot.

Looking forward to seeing what Hurd can do....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 3, 2020 at 4:22 PM ]
If Hurd isn't injured out of training camp, I'll call it a win
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I have a very strong feeling that Staley will retire.

Currently we sit at $13 million in cap.

Staley retires that'll give us an additional $11 million

Brings us up to $24 million.

Jimmy can get restructured. That can save us upwards of $8 million.

That's now $32 million

Restructuring Jet will be cheaper than cutting him. We can save an additional $2 million.

That's now $34 million

We can extend Sherman. We can save $5 million by doing so.

$39 million

We can extend Juice. $2 million savings.

$41 million.

The wildcard IMO is going to be TeCo. Releasing him will save us close to $5 million.

Potentially we can have $46 to take care of Kittle and Buck.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HERN:

That's now $32 million

Restructuring Jet will be cheaper than cutting him. We can save an additional $2 million.

That's now $34 million

$39 million

$41 million.

The wildcard IMO is going to be TeCo. Releasing him will save us close to $5 million.

I was figuring Goodwin and Mckinnon could be designated post June 1 cuts. More cap savings that way.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by English:
Pettit will probably be gone as he didn't even suit up. Maybe Goodwin. But before you start cutting Sanders, Beathard and Spoon, we don't have that many picks to replace them. Sanders is worth hanging on to and I don't give upon Spoon. With Beathard, it depends on what we get offered.

I am saying Sanders because Kyle has not been using him that much during the later part of the season or in the playoffs. It seems a sign to me. I am not saying I agree with them being cut. It is just the way the organisation seems to be going.

what? he played all season with pulled rib cartilage. his snap counts were high. he didnt get targets because of his cartilage. Cut him? What?
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by jcs:
Blair is the only one of real value of the three guys mentioned

Taylor had some value. He was very stout against the run.

We missed him yesterday. Rather see him than thomas curled up in a ball.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

That's now $32 million

That's now $34 million

$39 million

$41 million.

He just signed a contract extension just before this season why would he retire?
[ Edited by jcs on Feb 3, 2020 at 7:04 PM ]
Not too keen on restructuring Jet. That would be a short term option that delays a problem rather than fixing it.

I want to keep;
Eman
Sanders
Ward
Blair
Brunskill
Dwelley

Good to have Ward, Eman and Blair back in same Defensive scheme. Helps with continuity.

Hopefully McKinnon comes back.
Why not hold Pettis for one more year? What does it hurt? Keep developing him he has the skill set.
In 2020, Pettis will earn a base salary of $1,061,869, while carrying a cap hit of $1,745,606 and a dead cap value of $1,367,477.
Originally posted by Magzarillious:
Why not hold Pettis for one more year? What does it hurt? Keep developing him he has the skill set.

With Pettis it's not really about the $$$ and a lot will depend on us re-signing Sanders and Bourne, but it might just be a numbers game.

Sanders
Deebo
Bourne
Taylor
Hurd
James
Pettis

If Hurd and Taylor come back healthy then Pettis is 6th/7th at best and already circling the drain.

Hard to see us not bringing someone else in via draft or FA so he's going to have to prove himself against whoever else we bring in.

When challenged he hasn't exactly stepped up. He may lose out simply because of limited roster spots rather than $$$.

If we cut him it won't happen before training camp. He's really got to show something this off season.

That's now $32 million

That's now $34 million

$39 million

$41 million.

Wow!! How do you all these salaries? Sounds good to me.
Share 49ersWebzone