LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

UDFA Wilton Speight QB UCLA/Michigan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Personally I am hoping we trade Beathard, so Mullens is the #2 behind Jimmy, and this kid can go to our PS. Beathard has value to teams around the league as a cheap back up with experience starting games, they still have 2 years of control on him as well. I wonder what we could get as far as a draft pick for Beathard? A 5th or 6th? I'd take either to help simplify our roster, also because we can control Mullens for 3 seasons compared to Beathards 2.

Yeah, I think they can get a late round pick for BeatHard. Kyle has done wonders with low round and undrafted picks, so they are important to get.

Wilton is taller than Nick and I think he has a stronger arm. If Kyle can get Wilton's processing power speeded up, and produce like Nick. There will be coaches in the NFL drooing for a 6'5" QB that can throw.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by jcs:
Too soft. As soon as expectation hit at Michigan he wilted.

.. and he went to UCLA??

Transferred to UCLA after a less than stellar career at Michigan
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giedi:
Personally I am hoping we trade Beathard, so Mullens is the #2 behind Jimmy, and this kid can go to our PS. Beathard has value to teams around the league as a cheap back up with experience starting games, they still have 2 years of control on him as well. I wonder what we could get as far as a draft pick for Beathard? A 5th or 6th? I'd take either to help simplify our roster, also because we can control Mullens for 3 seasons compared to Beathards 2.

Yeah, I think they can get a late round pick for BeatHard. Kyle has done wonders with low round and undrafted picks, so they are important to get.

Wilton is taller than Nick and I think he has a stronger arm. If Kyle can get Wilton's processing power speeded up, and produce like Nick. There will be coaches in the NFL drooing for a 6'5" QB that can throw.

Speight is lucky he can crack the 53. He's one of the most conservative QB's I've ever seen. Nothing but a camp arm.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I agree - Speight is just another camp arm.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Speight is lucky he can crack the 53. He's one of the most conservative QB's I've ever seen. Nothing but a camp arm.

You are most likely right about that. But it's my hope he becomes a Mullens 2.0. If so, we have the possibility of trading Mullens at a later date for more draft picks. It's my hope Kyle can work a miracle or two on Wilton.

I truly think that if you give Kyle Shanahan two extra 6th round picks, he can find two offensive starters. Now you have the option of next year - using your high round picks for defensive talent, maybe like drafting another edge rusher like a Chase Young!
Originally posted by mayo49:
Yeah, I agree - Speight is just another camp arm.

There was Broadway Joe...
There was Beast Mode....
There was The Refrigerator...

and now...Wilton Camparm Speight....
[ Edited by ComeOnDeberg on May 15, 2019 at 8:36 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i think its probably a good idea though to keep cj and let him take alot of punishment in camp and early in pre season before we trade him for a 7th?
This guy is probably still better than CJ. Which isn't saying much. Speight didn't impress me one bit on All or Nothing.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

i think its probably a good idea though to keep cj and let him take alot of punishment in camp and early in pre season before we trade him for a 7th?

I just want more draft picks.

If Wilton can develop like Mullens, we have basically another draft pick that we can use. We can trade or package that draft pick to move up in higher rounds, or just draft a more talented offensive draftee in the earlier rounds.

I dont think CJ can beat out Mullens. So I'd rather trade him sooner than later so Mullens and Wilton can get more development time. If CJ can get us a low 7th round pick, I have full confidence Kyle can do something with it on the offensive side. Maybe a center or guard that he can develop in a year or two - to be a good backup or possible starter. (For example)
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
This guy is probably still better than CJ. Which isn't saying much. Speight didn't impress me one bit on All or Nothing.

Personally I just dont think Kyle's going to waste his coaching time on a camp arm. I think he brings in players that have a shot at making the team, otherwise I think it's a bit of a waste to bring in a guy just to be a camp arm. You can hire some guy off the street for minimum wage to man a jugs machine for that.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

If Wilton can develop like Mullens, we have basically another draft pick that we can use. We can trade or package that draft pick to move up in higher rounds, or just draft a more talented offensive draftee in the earlier rounds.

I dont think CJ can beat out Mullens. So I'd rather trade him sooner than later so Mullens and Wilton can get more development time. If CJ can get us a low 7th round pick, I have full confidence Kyle can do something with it on the offensive side. Maybe a center or guard that he can develop in a year or two - to be a good backup or possible starter. (For example)
got it. thank you
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
He's going to have to find a way to hit the books on Kyle's offense like Mullens did for 2 years, to be of any good when he gets his chance on the field. What Mullens did was out of the norm and not easy.

Good call!
Originally posted by cciowa:

Solid post Geidi!

If he got him to read defenses and produce like Mullens then why would we trade him? We would have a better Nick. Bigger and younger. It would make more sense to trade Mullens. We have to see if Kyle can make him a better QB or is he just another camp arm.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

If he got him to read defenses and produce like Mullens then why would we trade him? We would have a better Nick. Bigger and younger. It would make more sense to trade Mullens. We have to see if Kyle can make him a better QB or is he just another camp arm.

That's a VERY big "IF".

He showed almost zero improvement after 0ne season and playing into the second.

It would be great if that happened - I'm totally doubtful.
Share 49ersWebzone