LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

UDFA Wilton Speight QB UCLA/Michigan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Speight played for Harbs at Michigan, Chip at UCLA, now Shanny with the 49ers. Trifecta
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
in my opinion, he is better than Beathard. Send Speight to the practice squad and mold him into another Mullens.

Beathard can't even look good against 3rd stringers.

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Rookie Wilton Speight took his first full-team snaps and was 3-of-3 in red zone action.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/13/49ers-camp-beathard-thumb-injury-again-could-clear-up-qb-race/amp/

I"m hoping the QB in order of playing on (I think) this Monday night is first - Jimmy, then Mullens, then Wilton. I hope they hold CJ out so I can see how Wilton plays. That's my hope at least. They've said CJ will start after Jimmy, and if so - then Wilton won't see game time - which might work in his favor in being able to make the PS and not have enough film for another team to poach him from us, unless it's Scangarello's team.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Speight can prolly get sneaked through waivers and put on the practice squad. He looked solid in very limited time.

Agree.
Wilton really laid a turd last night, probably spells practice squad for him.
[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Aug 20, 2019 at 10:43 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Speight can prolly get sneaked through waivers and put on the practice squad. He looked solid in very limited time.

Agree.
He's a quitter I hope we don't.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Wilton really laid a turd last night, probably spells practice squad for him.

heh yeah, that fumble throw was really a great play.

Having said that, Mullens had some brain farts when he was a rookie too, so I've not given up on him and I do think he'll make the practice squad easy.
Probably be practice squad with CJ getting cut & Mullens as #2 QB
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Probably be practice squad with CJ getting cut & Mullens as #2 QB

Unfortunately I agree. I think CJ's trade value is dropping as we speak.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I was impressed with Wilton in the San Diego preseason game. I know he probably will be put on the practice squad, but I think he was better than Nick, when Nick was a undrafted rookie too, two years ago.

I think he has a better arm, taller, and I think has the same (or better) mobility than Nick. Great pick (or great development) by the QB coach - Shane Day.
I was impressed with Wilton in the San Diego preseason game. I know he probably will be put on the practice squad, but I think he was better than Nick, when Nick was a undrafted rookie too, two years ago.

I think he has a better arm, taller, and I think has the same (or better) mobility than Nick. Great pick (or great development) by the QB coach - Shane Day.

I was pretty drunk too during the san diego game too... he looked like montana from what I could barely remember

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DickNasty:

I was pretty drunk too during the san diego game too... he looked like montana from what I could barely remember

I wasn't drunk and I remember the game and no way is Wilton better than Nick. Nick has everything over Speight.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 31, 2019 at 5:48 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
I wasn't drunk and I remember the game and no way is Wilton better than Nick. Nick has everything over Speight.

If Wilton can match the progress that Nick had from UDFA rookie to his second year, I think he has the tools to challenge Nick in year two. (assuming Nick doesn't improve also - which is not a reasonable assumption). Wilton is taller, I think has faster wheels, a good arm, and maybe a better arm that Nick's.

I think this is important because if we can trade Nick next year (or in two years) and have somebody *like* him as a backup, that's a nice mid round pick for ShanaLynch to play with.

The interceptions that Wilton threw were to a (I think) high round san diego defensive back pick that was playing with the future grocery clerks of America. Some of his throws were a tad late, but the reads were correct and the aim point was just a tad off.

Having said that, I'm a big fan of Nick and now of Wilton. Have Wilton sit for a year or two at the practice squad like Nick did and I like to think we have another possible UDFA Nick 2.0 in the making. Kyle has a good eye for what QB fits his system.
Share 49ersWebzone