UDFA Wilton Speight QB UCLA/Michigan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Yeah, I think they can get a late round pick for BeatHard. Kyle has done wonders with low round and undrafted picks, so they are important to get.

Wilton is taller than Nick and I think he has a stronger arm. If Kyle can get Wilton's processing power speeded up, and produce like Nick. There will be coaches in the NFL drooing for a 6'5" QB that can throw.

i think its probably a good idea though to keep cj and let him take alot of punishment in camp and early in pre season before we trade him for a 7th?

I just want more draft picks.

If Wilton can develop like Mullens, we have basically another draft pick that we can use. We can trade or package that draft pick to move up in higher rounds, or just draft a more talented offensive draftee in the earlier rounds.

I dont think CJ can beat out Mullens. So I'd rather trade him sooner than later so Mullens and Wilton can get more development time. If CJ can get us a low 7th round pick, I have full confidence Kyle can do something with it on the offensive side. Maybe a center or guard that he can develop in a year or two - to be a good backup or possible starter. (For example)

Solid post Geidi!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Yeah, I think they can get a late round pick for BeatHard. Kyle has done wonders with low round and undrafted picks, so they are important to get.

Wilton is taller than Nick and I think he has a stronger arm. If Kyle can get Wilton's processing power speeded up, and produce like Nick. There will be coaches in the NFL drooing for a 6'5" QB that can throw.

If he got him to read defenses and produce like Mullens then why would we trade him? We would have a better Nick. Bigger and younger. It would make more sense to trade Mullens. We have to see if Kyle can make him a better QB or is he just another camp arm.

That's a VERY big "IF".

He showed almost zero improvement after 0ne season and playing into the second.

It would be great if that happened - I'm totally doubtful.

Biggest improvements are usually from the first year to the second. Mullens totally outperformed him in the 2nd year. BeatHard would have to do five times what Mullens did in this preseason to have a chance because Mullens outperformed him in real NFL games.

So while I agree that he has much better physical tools compared to Mullens, he's most likely not beating Mullens this year. I hope I'm wrong, but that's just how I feel about it, after watching him last year.
Kinda sucks we can't keep CJ and Mullen's. I know it's a waste of a roster spot but having CJ for three years now and him knowing the system, is still a good thing to have in the back.

But yeah I think Nick beats him out and we trade him if we can
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Kinda sucks we can't keep CJ and Mullen's. I know it's a waste of a roster spot but having CJ for three years now and him knowing the system, is still a good thing to have in the back.

But yeah I think Nick beats him out and we trade him if we can

Personally between having an ok 3rd string QB that will lose tight games vs a low round draft pick. I'll take the draft pick. Mullens has proved capable and the upside of Kyle choosing another QB or perhaps an offensive player in the 6th or 7th round is I think bigger than the downside of losing a 3rd string QB that would rarely play considering Jimmy and Nick in front of him.

That 6th or 7th round pick, I'm hoping Kyle picks a hybrid QB. A QB that happens to be able to run also, aka Steve Young 2.0.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Wilton may have more mobility than Mullens.

Speight threw a lot of balls on Friday, but he also ran the 40-yard dash. He proved that someone 6-foot-6 and 240 pounds can move.
"I got one time from one of the guys from the Titans that said 4.79," Speight said, still wide-eyed about the number. "I think my jaw dropped when he told me that. There were a couple more that were like 4.83, 4.84, 4.85. I just wanted something with a four in it. They all said the 40 doesn't matter at all, but I wanted to show I had that in the tank.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2019/03/16/wilton-speight-has-hill-climb-nfl-no-hard-feelings-michigan/3185352002/
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Speight threw a lot of balls on Friday, but he also ran the 40-yard dash. He proved that someone 6-foot-6 and 240 pounds can move.
"I got one time from one of the guys from the Titans that said 4.79," Speight said, still wide-eyed about the number. "I think my jaw dropped when he told me that. There were a couple more that were like 4.83, 4.84, 4.85. I just wanted something with a four in it. They all said the 40 doesn't matter at all, but I wanted to show I had that in the tank.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2019/03/16/wilton-speight-has-hill-climb-nfl-no-hard-feelings-michigan/3185352002/

OF COURSE, this already assure us that he should be able to execute the Boot Leg better than both CJ and Mullen !!

BOMBSSSSSSS AWAYYYYYYY !!!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

OF COURSE, this already assure us that he should be able to execute the Boot Leg better than both CJ and Mullen !!

BOMBSSSSSSS AWAYYYYYYY !!!!!

Totally agree!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Wilton can learn playbooks! Hopefully that can land him on the practice squad for 2019.
A former three-star from Richmond (VA), Speight was recruited by former Michigan head coach Brady Hoke and then-offensive coordinator Al Borges. After learning the Borges playbook, the Wolverines fired their OC, bringing in Alabama's Doug Nussmeier. Speight then learned an entirely new playbook as the fourth-string quarterback, only to see that offense gone as well, when Hoke was fired in favor of Jim Harbaugh.

Once Harbaugh arrived, Speight had to battle for a starting spot, playing behind Jake Rudock in 2015, and battling it out with transfer John O'Korn and former five-star Shane Morris in 2016. Surprising many, Speight won the starting job, and led the Wolverines to a 10-3 record in 2016 (though, he missed the Indiana game after suffering an injury at Iowa). He started the first four games of 2017 before his back injury kept him out for the season.
https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/27/former-michigan-football-qb-wilton-speight-to-sign-with-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-free-agent/
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
yeezus, Jim Harbaugh is really a strange duck.

quarterback Wilton Speight revealed that Harbaugh told him not to eat chicken because "it's a nervous bird."

"He thinks some type of sickness injected its way into the human population when people began eating white meats instead of beef and pork," Speight said. "And he believes it, 100 percent."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-qb-explains-why-jim-harbaugh-believes-eating-chicken-makes-people-weak/amp/
They got to be cutting Beathard?

Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:

why?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:

why?

Maybe a trade vs a cut?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I don't know too much about Wilton, but he had a QB Rating of 136 in his second year in college before injuries hit. I hope he can dethrone Mullens in a year or two.

Wilton Speight, UCLA, had an injury dampened career at Michigan and UCLA. in 2016 he led the Michigan Wolverines to a 9-0 start and was the 2016 third team All-Big Ten quarterback selection. Over four years he has played in 28 games and has a 59.4% completion percent, 4,719 yards, 7.3 yards per attempt, 28 touchdowns, 16 interceptions and a 130.2 passer rating.
http://nfcbeast.com/blog/

• 91til
  • Veteran
yeezus, Jim Harbaugh is really a strange duck.

quarterback Wilton Speight revealed that Harbaugh told him not to eat chicken because "it's a nervous bird."

"He thinks some type of sickness injected its way into the human population when people began eating white meats instead of beef and pork," Speight said. "And he believes it, 100 percent."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-qb-explains-why-jim-harbaugh-believes-eating-chicken-makes-people-weak/amp/

I remember hearing about this when he was our coach 😭
  • jcs
  • Veteran
This guy wilt and quit on football yet?
Share 49ersWebzone