LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Be careful with Stanford players for the 49ers.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
They put out good skill position players, but poor trench players. Its a attitude thing, a pac12 thing, imo. You wants so mean DL OL guys, you get some kid from the Southern schools.

I kind of agree about the attitude. Stanford tends to have good college linemen. As a floor, they are smart and well-rounded 300 pounders from across the country, so they are more likely to eat their veggies, put in their work, and be a step ahead of other 18 yo's. An added bonus is that the pac 10/12/west coast tends to emphasize skill, so these guys can bully the conference.

I think those factors are also important when judging their ceiling. I was high on Thomas in 17 and still think there's a chance, but looking back, some signs of inconsistency were there. Maybe some things would've been more apparent if there was more tape against cornfed Midwestern OL or SEC hogs.
John Brodie. Gene Washington. Jim Plunkett. John Elway. Andrew Luck. John Lynch. Three recent tight ends that have done fairly well in the NFL. There have been busts but there have been a lot of good players from Stanford as well. Every school, including Alabama and Ohio State have stars and busts. You have to look at the top schools but also the small schools. The SEC has led the draft in recent years but not all the players become stars.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on May 4, 2019 at 12:50 PM ]
Originally posted by zonkers:
I kind of agree about the attitude. Stanford tends to have good college linemen. As a floor, they are smart and well-rounded 300 pounders from across the country, so they are more likely to eat their veggies, put in their work, and be a step ahead of other 18 yo's. An added bonus is that the pac 10/12/west coast tends to emphasize skill, so these guys can bully the conference.

I think those factors are also important when judging their ceiling. I was high on Thomas in 17 and still think there's a chance, but looking back, some signs of inconsistency were there. Maybe some things would've been more apparent if there was more tape against cornfed Midwestern OL or SEC hogs.

It runs in cycles. The PAC12 as a whole is down now. Just look at this years draft where I think only one player was taken in the first round. There have been some good lineman in the past with the most recent being David DeCastro now a starting guard for the Steelers. Bob Whitfield was an all pro tackle with the Falcons. You just need to go where the talent is and right now it's very thin in the PAC12 which is why I would be wary of Herbert at QB. He's just not facing a lot of good teams so people are just looking at arm strength and size. We all know what can happen when you draft a QB high based on those 2 things.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I wish I could say SD is whining again like always , but he's right Niners and Stanford players don't go well together . Steer clear.

I agree. For us at least it doesn't work out. Other teams pick some good ones. Just not us.

Reading the headline of this topic made me laugh. Given the fact this will be my 74th season as a Niner Faithful, I guess I have a longer memory to draw from and different conclusions. Let's start with QB: Frankie Albert, Guy Benjamin, John Brodie, Jim Plunkett. WR: Gene Washington, Ed McCaffrey and Kenny Margerum. FB: Norm Standlee was a 240lb. monster who was with the original 49er team whose career was cut short by polio. There were plenty of other excellent role players like LB Milt McColl who was on 2 SB squads, Toi Cook, Phil Francis, Chris Dalman. Actually, Stanford has been a treasure trove over the years...
We just draft bad, the last time we won a super bowl I wasn't even shaving yet.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
We just draft bad, the last time we won a super bowl I wasn't even shaving yet.

We do draft bad. LOL...
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
Reading the headline of this topic made me laugh. Given the fact this will be my 74th season as a Niner Faithful, I guess I have a longer memory to draw from and different conclusions. Let's start with QB: Frankie Albert, Guy Benjamin, John Brodie, Jim Plunkett. WR: Gene Washington, Ed McCaffrey and Kenny Margerum. FB: Norm Standlee was a 240lb. monster who was with the original 49er team whose career was cut short by polio. There were plenty of other excellent role players like LB Milt McColl who was on 2 SB squads, Toi Cook, Phil Francis, Chris Dalman. Actually, Stanford has been a treasure trove over the years...

In the original and first post you were looking at it's possible I was not as clear as I should have been. My points in this thread which were explained later if you read all 5 pages are the following items.

1) Yes I know Stanford has had some historically great players. Some of those however were a long time ago.
2) Yes I know they even have some good more recent and current players. Other teams pick those players though. Not us.
3) The 49ers pick a lot of the bad ones and busts from Stanford. Again other teams pick the good ones. Not us.

I'm just saying WE are super bad at evaluating Stanford players in recent times. The 49ers are awful at that. Some other teams have found some good ones even recently. Just not us. They get picked by other teams.
Originally posted by KamLeon:
Bill Walsh?

This

/thread
San Diego you read my mind.

Pac 12 is just soft compared to the Big 10 and SEC. You get the occasional outlier, such as DeForest, but generally speaking, thev don't produce the quality of athlete in the trenches.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Pac 12 is just soft compared to the Big 10 and SEC. You get the occasional outlier, such as DeForest, but generally speaking, thev don't produce the quality of athlete in the trenches.

Nah it's all about getting the right players. David Decastro and Trent Murphy were players I wanted and I feel they have done pretty well so far. Decastro more than Murphy but still good trench players.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Nah it's all about getting the right players. David Decastro and Trent Murphy were players I wanted and I feel they have done pretty well so far. Decastro more than Murphy but still good trench players.

Murphy is Okay...Decastro is good. But that's the issue, can we name more than just those two? For every good trench player that Stanford produces, you have 4 or 5 mediocre or just busts. Compare that to the other big schools, and its not good.

This scouting department needs to expand more.

One fact that i hate, is that we have drafted 1 OL from Alabama in the past 15 years. Justin Smiley was the last one...
[ Edited by TheGore49er on May 6, 2019 at 8:48 AM ]
Sure have a lot of Cardinal homies here ... sheesh. The point is that we WASTED two first round picks for Stanford players that haven't panned out, who cares if Brodie went there?
Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady right under our noses. I think the point is how come we cannot judge talent right here, very well. And that we have perhaps too much Bro-love for Stanford players in round 1. One would think the easiest talent to judge, would be in your own backyard.
The funny thing is, if we took Christian McCaffery over Solly, we wouldn't have had to overpay for McKinnon who is probably another fragile guy.
Share 49ersWebzone