There are 110 users in the forums

Be careful with Stanford players for the 49ers.

I'm sick of the Stanford busts this team picks and keeps adding to our roster. Just because a College is close is no reason to get overwhelmed by all their players and hype. You have to scout the whole country and find hidden gems all over. It's like this organization takes the laziest way and just watches and evaluates close schools. The seem to get very over hyped by Stanford prospects. How many much better players could we have picked than this?

Joshua Garnett......2016......Round 1......Pick 28 overall......Total bust......

Solomon Thomas.....2017.....Round 1......Pick 3 overall......Total bust......

Richard Sherman.....Yes we got Sherman. In FA! He was a proven prospect coming off an injury. We signed him to a fair deal. We didn't draft him or scout him out in that sense. He was a proven player for years. So he didn't come to us through the draft and we didn't pick him. He doesn't count in this argument IMO.

Kaden Smith......6th round pick 2019. I can live with this in the 6th round. I don't think it's bad there. But his 4.92 forty will likely make him not useful to this team.

They seem to massively over value this school based on close proximity and familiarity. Which speaks of laziness in the scouting department IMO. Especially the high picks in the 1st round have really been costly to the possibility of this team improving. It set us back a lot. Probably years of set back from those choices. If we landed on those we would be much further ahead no doubt about it.
You forgot kwame harris
Originally posted by susweel:
You forgot kwame harris

Yeah. LOL. Well he is no longer on the team. But he was pretty bad overall. Albeit a pretty decent run blocker and big strong guy. He was a disaster as a pass blocker and an overall bust I guess you could say compared to where he was picked and what we projected him to be.

Yes the point being we have not had success with Stanford players overall. But we keep picking them and picking them high. We keep busting too....
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 3, 2019 at 9:10 PM ]
The best LT in the draft next year is a Stanford guy, Walker Little. Looks like a blue chipper. Id be happy to take him
Originally posted by Cardinal42:
The best LT in the draft next year is a Stanford guy, Walker Little. Looks like a blue chipper. Id be happy to take him

It's possible for a one off player to be good. Perhaps he is. I'm just saying don't overrate and over evaluate that team based on general hype in the Bay Area which they receive and are subject to. Now if they can land a blue chip guy great. But I would very carefully evaluate players especially from that school and double and triple check the evaluation based on disastrous history with this team.
So basically just Solomon Thomas and Joshua Garnett..
Kwame, Jonathan Martin..woohooo!
Originally posted by frankieuc68:

Originally posted by Niners99:

Nope. More than those 2 Niners99.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on May 3, 2019 at 9:24 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You're trying too hard. Kwame from 2003 and we didn't pick Jonathan Martin, he was traded to the Niners.
Should have taken Zack Ertz in the 2013 draft.....Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin in '11....Christian McCaffrey wouldn't have sucked in '17

Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

You're trying too hard. Kwame from 2003 and we didn't pick Jonathan Martin, he was traded to the Niners.

We picked Kwame in the 1st round no less. We traded for Jonathan Martin. So we didn't have to do that. But yes we didn't originally draft Martin.
John Lynch
[ Edited by HeyJoe on May 3, 2019 at 10:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Niners816:
Should have taken Zack Ertz in the 2013 draft.....Richard Sherman and Doug Baldwin in '11....Christian McCaffrey wouldn't have sucked in '17

Legit points.

I would easily have taken McCaffery.

Baldwin was undrafted too. Low risk high reward.

But yea, I'd say probability is in your favor when you're drafting players who play in the most competitive conference in football.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Yes they have some good players over the years. That's not my point though. The point is WE DON'T PICK THEM. Some other team does. Well we got Richard Sherman now. And he is good still even coming off injury. But he was a proven commodity already. We got him on a very fair deal also. It wasn't our scouting department or draft war room that figured it out though. He was a long time proven star player who wanted to come to our area and play for us.
Originally posted by HeyJoe:
John Lynch

As a player or as a GM? Which are you speaking of? If you are talking about the player I would say this.

1) It was a very long time ago that he was picked and played. Yes he was a very good player IMO.

2) He was not drafted by us.

He may favor Stanford players with some bias because he played there and obviously follows that program very closely.
Share 49erswebzone