There are 220 users in the forums

Unretire numbers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
8, 16, 42, 80, 87, along with 21 and 52 should never be given out. 21 for Gore, not Deion, and 52 well duh WILLIS.

Gore had longevity with us, but that was really it. Never brought us a title, never lead the league in rushing, was never clearly the best at his position. As far as longevity, I think someone like Bryant Young - who actually spent his whole career here, would be more deserving. P52, if he had played longer, would be a no-brainer for me. But he was a beast, and clearly one of the best linebackers of all time! I certainly wouldn't argue against it, I just think retiring early hurts him some.

Originally posted by TheXFactor:
For the old dudes that have theirs retired, we can give them a plaque in the stadium somewhere and un-retiree a few of those.

Brody's #12, Perry's #34, Krueger's #70, to start.

Brodie and Krueger's numbers have never been retired. Perry's is but is going to be used this season. What a bunch of crap. Perry was a fast Frank Gore.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Lurker:
It's a team number, not the player's personal number. Having said that, there are some numbers, as mentioned above that are recent enough to stay "retired" for a while longer, especially for hall of fame players. Reusing numbers at some point seems fine to me. I don't think that it takes anything away from the great players. Someone had the numbers before them anyway.

To use #21 as an example, Deion didn't make me forget about Eric Wright. Frank Gore didn't make me forget about Eric Wright or Deion.

Couldn't agree more... when I think of #21, I think of Eric Wright first.. Deion 2nd...

as for other retired #s, 73 and 37 should stay off of any players back..
8, 16, 42, 80, 87, along with 21 and 52 should never be given out. 21 for Gore, not Deion, and 52 well duh WILLIS.

+1
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
For the old dudes that have theirs retired, we can give them a plaque in the stadium somewhere and un-retiree a few of those.

Brody's #12, Perry's #34, Krueger's #70, to start.

Brodie and Krueger's numbers have never been retired. Perry's is but is going to be used this season. What a bunch of crap. Perry was a fast Frank Gore.

34 they said will only be used in the preseason.
And not issued and retired are basically the same thing.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
I think that when an all-time great player that leaves the team either by retiring or FA/Trade should have his # "retired" for the same amount of years they played for that team + 5 years as a bonus "salute". After that, the team can bring the # back out of retirement.... So Patrick Willis for example would have his frozen for 12 years from the date he left....Just my opinion.
[ Edited by SaksV on Apr 19, 2019 at 12:13 PM ]
It should be name and number. So there can't be another 80 Rice, but another player with a different last name can have 80.
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

+1

Lots of old timers remember #87 as Charlie Powell, who in his first game as a DE on the 49ers, got 10 sacks against Bobby Layne in a win over the Detroit Lions. He was the first 49er rookie ever to get a game ball. Unfortunately, this was before they officially counted sacks. Charlie was 6'3" and 225, ran the 100 in 9.6. He also set the state shot put record in high school, was offered a contract by the Harlem Globetrotters, was signed to a MLB contract by the St. Louis Browns, and then signed an NFL contract with the 49ers. In the offseason, he fought Muhammad Ali for the world title after beating the #2 rated heavyweight in the world.
Share 49ersWebzone