LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Unretire numbers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
#21,,?? is that retired for E. Wright, Deion, or Gore??
A lot of the "retired" jersey numbers are still being used. The premise of this thread is wrong.
Originally posted by English:
You either unretire them all or none of them. I don't see any real justification in your post for the change, so I would leave it alone.

Agreed with if you do it you do them all
Whatever the team wants to do. Other teams have 16, 42, and 80s running around.
It's interesting how the patriots still use Troy Browns number 80. Or Richard Seymour's 93. I'd like to see a stud rock 80 and kill it. It will remind me of Jerry. Only give those numbers to superstars and people who are worthy wearing it.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
A lot of the "retired" jersey numbers are still being used. The premise of this thread is wrong.

Really which ones? Unless you're talking about these "retired" numbers being used during offseason then I don't recall any "retired" numbers being used. Only one I recall was Dilfer asking permission to wear Brodie's #12 for one season.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:

rw mcquarters

Would be for Gore IMO.
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
Retiring numbers is one of the greatest honors and a reward for a legacy. We should keep it this way.

Originally posted by REDx85xGOLD:
.If it were up to me the only numbers I'd keep retired/untouchable are 8, 16, 21, 42, 80, 87.

The team existed for 35 years before 1981, so to unretire just the numbers of the older pre-80s players is a real douchebag idea, IMO. Those guys earned their spot.

It's all or nothing, IMO.
Originally posted by English:
You either unretire them all or none of them. I don't see any real justification in your post for the change, so I would leave it alone.

This! NFL rosters have 53 players, unless more than 47 numbers are retired. We have enough. The NFL should allow 0 and 00 to help with this lol.
There is at least one team that puts the players names up in the ring of honor rather than retiring a number. That seems like a better way to do it.
Its a number. None of them should be retired
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There is at least one team that puts the players names up in the ring of honor rather than retiring a number. That seems like a better way to do it.

Theres zero issues with retiring numbers. You only have 53 men on a roster. There are 99 numbers. That leaves room for 46 un-used numbers. Weve retired 12, and have 2 more that will eventually be retired. That means we would have to retire 32 more numbers to have a problem. In 72 years we have 14 off limits. Safe to say we wont be retiring 32 more anytime soon.

I will NEVER understand the people who demand we un-retire numbers. You dont take back an honor like that. So weird. The guys who got their numbers retired deserved it.
Share 49ersWebzone