There are 181 users in the forums

2019 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Interesting so that's one less guard and center prospect on the team. Quite frankly he had an uphill battle to make the squad.
I wonder if his injuries were more serious than what was publicly known.
Signed C/G Dillon Day and TE Niles Paul

Thanks Jason!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Signed C/G Dillon Day and TE Niles Paul

Any new interior OLineman signed up is always a positive in my eyes. They got to do everything they can to upgrade Jimmy's protections.
WE NEED RESULTS!
ER Jeremiah Valoaga. I'm assuming he's an ER since he's 6'6" 245. Now he and Moore can play ER's in our W9. With Bosa, Ford and Blair out, Damontre Moore was the only rusher we had.
ER Jeremiah Valoaga. I'm assuming he's an ER since he's 6'6" 245. Now he and Moore can play ER's in our W9. With Bosa, Ford and Blair out, Damontre Moore was the only rusher we had.

Saturday is going to be brutal
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Saturday is going to be brutal

Very. Hopefully one of those two ball out for depth purposes.

So, at this point, it's pretty clear at least what two of our needs going into 2020 will be. Much can change between now and then, but without question I think we need to shore up our LB and OL positions. I think we'll probably want to add another pass rusher and running back too, considering McKinnon's injury issues make it seem like his stay with us is gonna be short.

If Greenlaw works out, we have 3 nice starters at LB, but I'm concerned about the depth there. Right now, I think he and Malcolm Smith's versatility gives us someone who can fill in at all 3 linebacker spots in the case of injury. But we're thin after that. Nzeocha and Mayo are pretty average. Lee is athletic but awful at his assignments. At OL, we have barebones depth with Garland, Johnson, and Garnett. This is pretty much barely servicable to get by with until 2020.

My "if I were GM" very early positional allocation of 7 picks, if nothing changed (yeah, I know, things will indeed change):

2 LB
3 OL (2 OG, 1 OT)
1 DE
1 RB
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 16, 2019 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
So, at this point, it's pretty clear at least what two of our needs going into 2020 will be. Much can change between now and then, but without question I think we need to shore up our LB and OL positions. I think we'll probably want to add another pass rusher and running back too, considering McKinnon's injury issues make it seem like his stay with us is gonna be short.

If Greenlaw works out, we have 3 nice starters at LB, but I'm concerned about the depth there. Right now, I think he and Malcolm Smith's versatility gives us someone who can fill in at all 3 linebacker spots in the case of injury. But we're thin after that. Nzeocha and Mayo are pretty average. Lee is athletic but awful at his assignments. At OL, we have barebones depth with Garland, Johnson, and Garnett. This is pretty much barely servicable to get by with until 2020.

My "if I were GM" very early positional allocation of 7 picks, if nothing changed (yeah, I know, things will indeed change):

2 LB
3 OL (2 OG, 1 OT)
1 DE
1 RB

Yeah definitely. We want the ER to be as deep as the interior. We definitely need to continue to make that a priority. Need top tier/resources...1 IOL and T. Without question. At least. It's basically 3 WILL's now so if you could upgrade Greenlaw for a premier LB, you instantly have great depth, ST and security. My other is CB...like we need a T to start learning from Staley today, I want a top talent to start challenging and learning from Sherman. Box safeties are a dime a dozen but we could certainly use some challenger at FS too. WR? We'll see how it goes this year. How about a top tier 2nd TE?

2 LB
3 OL (2 OG, 1 OT)
1 DE
1 RB

Yeah definitely. We want the ER to be as deep as the interior. We definitely need to continue to make that a priority. Need top tier/resources...1 IOL and T. Without question. At least. It's basically 3 WILL's now so if you could upgrade Greenlaw for a premier LB, you instantly have great depth, ST and security. My other is CB...like we need a T to start learning from Staley today, I want a top talent to start challenging and learning from Sherman. Box safeties are a dime a dozen but we could certainly use some challenger at FS too. WR? We'll see how it goes this year. How about a top tier 2nd TE?

And just like that, my point about weak depth at OL becomes magnified. Garnett did get some reps at center in the off-season. I think our best bet for a starting OL week 1, if Person can't go, is:

LT - Staley
LG - Tomlinson
C - Johnson
RG - Garnett
RT - McGlinchey

(With what we have currently at least)

I don't want Garland at C. He can't snap the ball properly.
And just like that, my point about weak depth at OL becomes magnified. Garnett did get some reps at center in the off-season. I think our best bet for a starting OL week 1, if Person can't go, is:

LT - Staley
LG - Tomlinson
C - Johnson
RG - Garnett
RT - McGlinchey

(With what we have currently at least)

I don't want Garland at C. He can't snap the ball properly.

I fully agree OTC. I'll be watching Johnson at C again closely. Garnett absolutely has to be the option now. Toran scares the hell out of me.

Share 49ersWebzone