Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by genus49:
I know you are the keeper of the injury thread so you take this stuff very personally lol…but talent is talent. You gotta pay for it.
We've gotten burned with contracts to injured players before but it feels like it's mostly been from outside players coming in vs paying our own.
Armstead and Ward were both guys who kept getting hurt early in their careers and we kept giving them a chance. Armstead is slowing down a bit but Ward is having a great season for us. Deebo has clearly taken to working on his body…the groin injury didn't help but I think he's doing the things he needs to do to stay healthier. Sometimes there are things you can't control tho.
Pay the guy but put in some injury protection.
That's certainly my point. There's nothing wrong with paying the man. He's going to get paid. The problem is relying on him, the contract itself, having no contingency plan and that includes the coaches who so often, build their schemes around these types of guys (i.e. Verrett, Mostert).
Like if Alex Mack goes down. What's the plan?
We've seen this play out time and time and time again. Once again, we're going into an important game and he won't be there, and we have to work around it; he's 25.
Just a word of caution. That's all. If you don't learn from your past (200 examples of this), you're doomed to repeat it. And we have.
30 players have hit I.R. this year (45 last year) and countless other lost games of players who probably should have been added originally. In...out...in...out.
Just a word of caution. That's all. This FO targets and is beyond patient with these kinds of players. We essentially need two rosters to make it through 17 games. LOL
PLAN for him to get hurt accordingly and miss meaningful games or don't pay him the top dollar.
With regards to Deebo, I can see Aiyuk having similar skill set to Deebo, so in that sense - they can pay Deebo because Aiyuk's been having a great year and can probably sub in for Deebo as #1 WR while Deebo heals up. We shall see how the rest of the WR corps does while Deebo is injured this Sunday. Jauan Jennings looks like another kind of Deebo, and so there is some depth developing now on the WR corps such that I think it's safe to splurge on Deebo because you have some good WR's developing behind him. Pettis and Hurd were misfires, but I think if the front office continues to get gems in the lower rounds (Like Mitchell Lenoir or Moore, or some quality free agents like Tom Compton) I think they can take some Cap Risks.
I wouldn't say they have similar sets. In fact, they have opposite skill sets. One is a Z and the other an X. The point is you dont want to be down a Deebo, period. But it's going to happen. In fact, it's happening today. Now, if they have the same skill set, Aiyuk is going to now take handoffs? Run the slants in head-hunting traffic? Be a monster on screens in YAC? My point is the same as with Trey Lance. Next year, if he goes down, you want a backup with a similar skill set so you don't have to alter your offense.
If Dwelley goes down you have Woerner. If Mostert goes down you have Mitchell. If Hurd goes down you have Jennings. Deebo goes down you have...nobody.
So if you're going to pay the man, just make sure next year you also draft a hybrid WR/RB with a similar skill set who can learn from Deebo and spell his snap counts. Build in snap count incentives, rip cords and off season workout goals to ensure his soft tissue issues are addressed. Don't overwork him or you'll end up with a groin, calf, hamstring, foot, etc. Him going down with another issue last game from overuse wasn't exactly hard to predict. Hell, we were talking about what would happen if we keep over utilizing him like we did with Kittle well before the injury.
I think we will be fine Paying Deebo.
I think our current Wr's, (Deebo, Aiyuk, Jauan) are more like hybrid players vs single role type WR's. (X, Y, Z, flanker, split, slot etc...) So in terms of skill sets - Kyle's main WR's (overall) have good size 200+lbs, good speed, good strength, tackle breaking ability, and YAC skills. You can almost say they look a lot like Mitchell. I think Mitchell would probably do a credible job at any of the WR positions if Kyle was a bit desperate or wanted some offensive trickery. (Elijah = Jerrick Mckinnon?

)
Deebo and Jalen were drafted in the same draft class. Brandon Aiyuk and Jennings were drafted a year later. All four, I think, were intended by Kyle to be somewhat interchangeable. Remember our discussion about RB's becoming WR's, becoming TE's becoming FBs? I think Kyle likes those kinds of hybrid players that are interchangeable. I remember Kyle in an interview saying, a player has to make the team on a specific role (special teams, RB, Wr etc...). Now whether he can grow and become a WR/RB depends on whether he can play that *other* position well too. (RB in addition to his original role as WR). Can he (for example Deebo) pick up that other role and play that other role as well as Jeff Wilson and Raheem? So it seems Kyle was looking at the athleticism of Deebo and projected that maybe he could be a RB too, but he had to make the team as a WR. He did. So they tried Deebo do some RB run, and the found out he can be an RB too. I think the same can be said of Aiyuk and Jauan. I think Aiyuk and Jennings (maybe even Elijah) are just a year behind Deebo in the hybrid role category. We will find out this Sunday, where they are -- but hopefully next year - watch out!