There are 192 users in the forums

Niners hire Kris Kocurek as DL coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, listen to the podcast.

It was a 'theory' of mine before ShanaLynch showed up...something I was going to watch with a new regime. Trends.

This is an independent account of someone not tied to the team in any way who looks at team spendings across the league comparatively.

I simply asked him if he thought Paraag was setting that limit since he knows him and endorsed his book. He believed so as well.

After you listen to it, I'd love to hear your non-49 objective thoughts.


His comment was "my guess is it is." That isn't a ringing endorsement of anything.

That is opinion. Opinion which doesn't align with basic logic for why Shanahan, a candidate who clearly had numerous job options, would be okay with such an arrangement. He wouldn't. Neither would Lynch who could easily have stayed with his cushy TV gig.



Those guys didn't each get 6 year deals without offsets because Jed was in a power position to make demands. He wasn't. Its entirely reasonable to believe they have full autonomy over all personnel decisions.


That they didn't sign several of the free agents that you had your heart set on isn't evidence of some dastardly conspiracy. More likely you valued those players far more highly than either Lynch or Shanahan did.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, listen to the podcast.

It was a 'theory' of mine before ShanaLynch showed up...something I was going to watch with a new regime. Trends.

This is an independent account of someone not tied to the team in any way who looks at team spendings across the league comparatively.

I simply asked him if he thought Paraag was setting that limit since he knows him and endorsed his book. He believed so as well.

After you listen to it, I'd love to hear your non-49 objective thoughts.


His comment was "my guess is it is." That isn't a ringing endorsement of anything.

That is opinion. Opinion which doesn't align with basic logic for why Shanahan, a candidate who clearly had numerous job options, would be okay with such an arrangement. He wouldn't. Neither would Lynch who could easily have stayed with his cushy TV gig.

What?

Q: Since this philosophy remains consistent under two GM's is this Paraag setting that spending bar?

A: my guess is it is

He came to that conclusion based on knowing him personally and looking at the numbers/facts.

Did you expect him to hire a private investigator and set up a meeting with him while wearing a wire?

Yes, it's an opinion but one much closer to the situation compared to your opinion on a message board.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I don't think there is any comparison between the spending habits of TB vs. Lynch. As you said, TB was the king of dumpster diving. Sometimes it worked, lot of times it didn't. But he was never spending top dollar on FAs

Baalke's approach to FA was the same as it was to the draft. Go for the value. Why go in on one guy that you really like when you can pick up three or four for the same amount?

I don't believe that has carried over. Lynch and Shanahan seem to identify the players they want early and then go all in on them.

I also don't buy that either of them would have signed up for this job knowing that Marathe was going to keep the pocketbook in a lockbox. His job is to negotiate the best contract possible while still getting them the players that they want.

Agree 100%

+2
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I don't think there is any comparison between the spending habits of TB vs. Lynch. As you said, TB was the king of dumpster diving. Sometimes it worked, lot of times it didn't. But he was never spending top dollar on FAs

Baalke's approach to FA was the same as it was to the draft. Go for the value. Why go in on one guy that you really like when you can pick up three or four for the same amount?

I don't believe that has carried over. Lynch and Shanahan seem to identify the players they want early and then go all in on them.

I also don't buy that either of them would have signed up for this job knowing that Marathe was going to keep the pocketbook in a lockbox. His job is to negotiate the best contract possible while still getting them the players that they want.

Agree 100%

+2

Let's hope so. But if we see another mid-tier approach to free agency for the 3rd year in a row and all of Baalke's regime, ya might want look a little deeper.
Originally posted by NCommand:
What?

Q: Since this philosophy remains consistent under two GM's is this Paraag setting that spending bar?

A: my guess is it is

He came to that conclusion based on knowing him personally and looking at the numbers/facts.

Did you expect him to hire a private investigator and set up a meeting with him while wearing a wire?

Yes, it's an opinion but one much closer to the situation compared to your opinion on a message board.



Thank you. Opinion is not evidence. The guy may know contracts but my guess is that he's hardly an expert on the overall power structure of the organization compared to the Maiocco's and Lombardi's of the world that follow the team 24/7.



If Marathe was acting as some sort of regulator on contracts, then my guess is that neither Juice, McKinnon nor Richburg would be here since their deals were very much near the top of the market for their respective positions.




I think its safer to assume that Baalke was just cheap, more concerned with value than actually giving his coaches the players that they most needed.


After all, this is the same organization that handed out pretty hefty deals to Nate Clements and Justin Smith before he took over.



Anyways, back to the DL coach.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:
What?

Q: Since this philosophy remains consistent under two GM's is this Paraag setting that spending bar?

A: my guess is it is

He came to that conclusion based on knowing him personally and looking at the numbers/facts.

Did you expect him to hire a private investigator and set up a meeting with him while wearing a wire?

Yes, it's an opinion but one much closer to the situation compared to your opinion on a message board.



Thank you. Opinion is not evidence. The guy may know contracts but my guess is that he's hardly an expert on the overall power structure of the organization compared to the Maiocco's and Lombardi's of the world that follow the team 24/7.

If Marathe was acting as some sort of regulator on contracts, then my guess is that neither Juice, McKinnon nor Richburg would be here since their deals were very much near the top.of the market for their respective positions.

He's close to Paraag because of their respective fields. MM wouldn't be anywhere near Paraag nor know this subject enough to form an opinion one way or another. We wish. Jason does this work for all 32 teams.

I'm not sure what would constitute 'evidence' for you. An opinion from a SME based on evidence, who knows the source is about as strong as you'll get.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 29,779
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Does this mean we have to postpone our evals of armstead and thomas for another year?

That seems to be the obvious take from this.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 29,779
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kyle said they aren't going to feel any pressure just because it's year 3.

But it's hard to believe that. They both have to be feeling 'some' sense of urgency right?

Of course he is feeling pressure. He wouldn't have been so successful if he didn't feel driven to success. He has been a success everywhere he has been. That comes from feeling "urgency."

He has also learned, like most coaches, to not "spill his guts" to every media type that asks him a question.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Let's hope so. But if we see another mid-tier approach to free agency for the 3rd year in a row and all of Baalke's regime, ya might want look a little deeper.

You think both their FA approaches/signings were/are mid tier?
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Koucerek developed Ansah...

Yeah but Ziggy was a top 5 pick. It's not like he's just going to have another super high draft pick to develop.....oh wait you're right.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Does this mean we have to postpone our evals of armstead and thomas for another year?

That seems to be the obvious take from this.

I'm sure Thomas get another year, Armstead i don't think is as certain. Shanahan talked about it in the post season presser.

If it was just keeping the player and they didn't have to worry about financials and other things, then yes, we'd want him here for sure. But there is more that goes in to it than just saying we like the player. Roughly the quote he gave.

I'd be all for keeping Armstead if they can do some sort of rework on that option. I don't know if that's allowed or not. Never really looked into contracts before.
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/9/28/16378818/detroit-lions-secret-weapon-defensive-line-coach-kris-kocurek

"He has had a knack for turning developmental players into pass rush specialists. His mastery is only proven by the fact that once these players leave Detroit, their careers seem to fade away."

"Jason Jones had 9.5 sacks in two years with the Lions, and could only muster 3.5 with the Dolphins the following year. George Johnson had 6.0 sacks in 2014, his sole season with Detroit. He has yet to record a sack since. Devin Taylor had 11.5 sacks over the past two years in Detroit. The Giants released him during their 53-man cut down this year."
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kyle said they aren't going to feel any pressure just because it's year 3.

But it's hard to believe that. They both have to be feeling 'some' sense of urgency right?

Of course he is feeling pressure. He wouldn't have been so successful if he didn't feel driven to success. He has been a success everywhere he has been. That comes from feeling "urgency."

He has also learned, like most coaches, to not "spill his guts" to every media type that asks him a question.

I hope you're right. His post interview sounded like they weren't in any rush and just want to build it properly over their 6 year contracts.

But like you say, Kyle is a competitor and he wants to win.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Let's hope so. But if we see another mid-tier approach to free agency for the 3rd year in a row and all of Baalke's regime, ya might want look a little deeper.

You think both their FA approaches/signings were/are mid tier?

That's not my term...that's Jason's. If you listen to the podcast he'll explain exactly why he characterizes our approach that way.
You guys keep saying Robert Quinn but I believe the guy has another year left on his contract. He's not available.
Share 49erswebzone