LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Niners hire Kris Kocurek as DL coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
You guys keep saying Robert Quinn but I believe the guy has another year left on his contract. He's not available.

Yup one final year on his deal.

They had offers on the table for him at the trade deadline and passed. So not sure they would release or try to trade him this offseason, but a new coaching staff could perhaps feel differently about him so not out of the question.
Originally posted by evil:
You guys keep saying Robert Quinn but I believe the guy has another year left on his contract. He's not available.

Yup one final year on his deal.

They had offers on the table for him at the trade deadline and passed. So not sure they would release or try to trade him this offseason, but a new coaching staff could perhaps feel differently about him so not out of the question.

Its being reported like its a virtual certainty that both he and Alonso will be gone to save capspace.
Never heard of her
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Its being reported like its a virtual certainty that both he and Alonso will be gone to save capspace.

Another guy to keep an eye on is Oliver Vernon...I don't see NY keeping him and they can save something like $15 million by moving on from him.

He never worked with Kocurek but is still a prefect 4-3 DE and is pretty young.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Another guy to keep an eye on is Oliver Vernon...I don't see NY keeping him and they can save something like $15 million by moving on from him.

He never worked with Kocurek but is still a prefect 4-3 DE and is pretty young.

That was one dude who was massively overpaid. But there was quite a market for him and drive that price up way too high.
Originally posted by NCommand:
That was one dude who was massively overpaid. But there was quite a market for him and drive that price up way too high.

I think he's basically a younger version of graham. I think both will get similar contracts if both are available.
Basically a Him Tomsula type D-Line coach. Same intensity, teaching skills, results. A GREAT hire. If we can get a real good DB's coach I'll be more optimistic about our defensive staff....

I think Chris Kiffin likely gets the boot..

I remember reading somewhere that he and a few other players aren't expected to be back next year.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Let's hope so. But if we see another mid-tier approach to free agency for the 3rd year in a row and all of Baalke's regime, ya might want look a little deeper.

You think both their FA approaches/signings were/are mid tier?

That's not my term...that's Jason's. If you listen to the podcast he'll explain exactly why he characterizes our approach that way.

But you clearly agree with this notion, correct?
IMO He is flat out wrong.
Originally posted by zonkers:
He's a yeller - should be good for the group.

Old Yeller

Originally posted by NYniner85:

I think he's basically a younger version of graham. I think both will get similar contracts if both are available.

You can never have enough good edge rushers.
Let's hope so. But if we see another mid-tier approach to free agency for the 3rd year in a row and all of Baalke's regime, ya might want look a little deeper.

That's not my term...that's Jason's. If you listen to the podcast he'll explain exactly why he characterizes our approach that way.

100% agree with his assessment. I noticed the exact trend long before his independent podcast.

That's cool if you disagree. There's a ton of content covered...curious what you disagree with.

100% agree with his assessment. I noticed the exact trend long before his independent podcast.

That's cool if you disagree. There's a ton of content covered...curious what you disagree with.

Trying to compare TBs spending habits to Lynch's spending habits in FA is laughable imo. TB never spend $ in FA the way Lynch has. Lynch has been accused of overspending if anything (and yes im aware Of what OTC says about spending and positions etc...still doesn't change the fact that top $ was spent). It's like trying to absolve TB for being cheap and his subsequent failures in FA by blaming some spending constraints on Paraag. Just seems to be some different sets of standards being used. Just my 2 cents
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Jan 15, 2019 at 8:15 AM ]
Trying to compare TBs spending habits to Lynch's spending habits in FA is laughable imo. TB never spend $ in FA the way Lynch has. Lynch has been accused of overspending if anything (and yes im aware Of what OTC says about spending and positions etc...still doesn't change the fact that top $ was spent). It's like trying to absolve TB for being cheap and his subsequent failures in FA by blaming some spending constraints on Paraag. Just seems to be some different standards being used. Just my 2 cents

There are similar complaints about the GM here in Arizona constantly dumpster diving for "value" and short term stopgaps. The reach of Marathe is extensive indeed.

Trying to compare TBs spending habits to Lynch's spending habits in FA is laughable imo. TB never spend $ in FA the way Lynch has. Lynch has been accused of overspending if anything (and yes im aware Of what OTC says about spending and positions etc...still doesn't change the fact that top $ was spent). It's like trying to absolve TB for being cheap and his subsequent failures in FA by blaming some spending constraints on Paraag. Just seems to be some different sets of standards being used. Just my 2 cents

He didn't compare the two. You need to listen to it. He simply looked at our trends over the years (it may have expanded into the Baalke years) but it happened to be something I noticed under Baalke too.

No offense, but you and P clearly have not taken the time to listen to it, drawing conclusions and making assumptions completely off base from the topic covered.

It's a longer podcast so no worries but every Niner fan should listen to it. It's completely unbiased and just merely focuses on what we did do and trends.

It actually helps set the table for more realistic expectations for free agency.
Share 49ersWebzone