There are 239 users in the forums

ZBS and RZ...are they mutually incompatible.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Ok, i was a late convert, maybe early part of this season. I LOVE ZBS for the very reasons kyle uses it. Virtually unstoppable with (Pick your fav RB) on the run, 5 yds or thereabouts. And just as importantly , sets up your passing game.

EXCEPT...when in the RZ. What IF...we had a power blocking scheme for anything inside the RZ? It probably would mean buying an OG who can't Zone Block, BUT...a big 330-350 lb RG/LG who can move people , big people, sure seems like another alternative to what we currently are not succeeding at in the RZ. Just bullnose it in. ZBS is not working for us in the RZ. Here's an alternative. Your thots.

Mods, please feel free to place this wherever . I couldn't decide so fine if you do.

Fully agreed our running game is very finesse.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The team might benefit looking for a bigger back as the 3rd string guy. Shanny's find backs in their sleep so it shouldn't be a problem but instead of a Breida we should look for a Morris.

This is something I thought Juice would be able to fill in for but that then leaves a hole at FB in these situations.

So I agree, I think a bigger more powerful back would be a great addition.
I think what they really need is another legit redzone target, whether a TE or WR. Kittle gives them one, Pettis has shown he can get open against most anyone, what I'd love to see is another big TE or a WR that can either beat defenses right off the snap like Pettis or a guy like Jeffery that you can throw it up to down there.
I don't see the either or part of this.... thats a hell of an assumption.... Zone blocking will work on the goal line. In years gone bye, this is when Trap running was its most potent.

We need a functional rez zone passing attack to make the team less on dimensional on the goal line.

The quick slant has worked its way back in to the offense, that will help for sure... We need the starting QB back under center or for Mullins to get more game time.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran
49ers have 7 rush attempts inside opponents 2. They've combined for 0 yards, 0 TDs and 1 lost fumble. Having no real threat to run around at the goal line is a big part of it.

Add to that KS offense is built around 1. Play action and thus equal threat to run or pass 2. Intermediate clearing routes opening up gaps in the defense. With no real rush threat the D doesn't stack the box and with a shorter field the intermediate routes don't clear out the defenders as well.
Shoulda known...ask a legit question and you guys come up with a PhD thesis on the "whys" and the "fixes" . Thank you all.

DaBum, thx for stats. Knew it was bad but Mein Gott! Didn't know it was this ugly. From up close we are an "O-fer", which explains why our RZ work "seems" so futile. Well, because it is.

So it looks like bigger, meaner, stronger RB is part of the answer, but those aren't really every day pickups...unless you have #1 or #2 pick in draft...Saquon Barkley-like is what we are talking about here? I recall John Riggiins (WASH) as that guy and I guess Saquon now? Does that mean Au Jus isn't quite strong enough, or big enough?

RZ passing game: Ok, biggest TE/WR who is massive leaper...and can shake his cover guy. Well, Pettis sure can get open quick. And more time, much more time with WR/TE and QB who has quick release. So maybe 3-6 intensive months with JG and Pettis? A younger version of jimmy Graham? But there again, those guys aren't all that easy to find.

And, yes i remember full well Crabtree going to Raids and he instantly becomes the RZ wizard. Perhaps that was more WR/QB synergy from practicing together? If so PHX's Pettis/JG with lots of reps might be our answer.

The bigger back looks like a possible also, but could Au jus be our guy? If so, why not already? OL needs more time to gel for him...or is he just not big enough, ie, more of an OW than a "Big back"?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 24, 2018 at 4:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone