LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Are you sold on Jimmy G to be our starter for next 10 years?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are you sold on Jimmy G to be our starter for next 10 years?

Originally posted by 49erminion:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Seriously, Jimmy is the future - I have no doubt he's here for the next 10 years.

2019: 6 games then on IR for a broken collar bone
2020: 8 games then on IR for a broken throwing hand
2021: 4 games then on IR for a torn ACL
2022: 9 games then on IR for multiple concussions
2023: 1 game then on IR for a torn ACL
2024: retires

How about he comes back and doesn't miss another start for 15+ years?
  • bud49
  • Veteran
I need more time to decide.
Objectively speaking, I feel he has all the intangibles and skillset to be just that but naturally, we've yet to see him do it WITHIN the offense thus far. Let's be honest...the last 5 games of last year and even his first TD pass, was mostly off schedule. This was going to be the year we got to see him grow within the confines of the entire offense and grow with Kyle together, game after game. They were robbed of that. We were robbed.
This injury prone scrub? Nah!!!!!!!
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
All the dope ass defenders we kept (especially at ER).

The outstanding development of 2nd year players and rookies.

The signing / releasing of agents who never played a down for us.

Turning a Stanford olineman into an every position killing machine.

Turning Tackles into Strong Safeties and DBs into pass rushers. YOU DON"T LIKE THAT?!

Flying kicks, belly rubs, 4th qtr fist pumps when losing by 30+ pts, injury prone guys, Lil Wayne, etc. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!

awesome 👏
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Not if the front office continues to be aggressively prudent BS in the offseason, they're gonna get him killed.
All the dope ass defenders we kept (especially at ER).

The outstanding development of 2nd year players and rookies.

The signing / releasing of agents who never played a down for us.

Turning a Stanford olineman into an every position killing machine.

Turning Tackles into Strong Safeties and DBs into pass rushers. YOU DON"T LIKE THAT?!

Flying kicks, belly rubs, 4th qtr fist pumps when losing by 30+ pts, injury prone guys, Lil Wayne, etc. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!

Well when you put it like that.
I believe that Jimmy G at the very least is top 10 and could very well be top 2 or 3. I'm thinking back to a QB in the early 70's from the University of Cinn. Greg Cook. He played for the Bengals and his OC was Bill Walsh. Coach said he was Montana before Montana. He shoulder was injured midway thru the season and was never the same. He averaged 17 yards per completion. I saw him play, he had it all, talent, looks, brains, the sky was the limit. Let's hope this injury is a bump in the road along the way to a great career for Jimmy G.
Originally posted by genus49:
How about he comes back and doesn't miss another start for 15+ years?

This
10 years? Can you say that about anybody in any sport?? How about 4 years, or the duration of Shanahans contract. In that measure with some luck, yes potential MVP in this scheme with more talent around him.
I know Niner fans feel a bit snake bit about the team lately, and rightly so.

Still, first impressions are a very powerful thing. What we saw in Jimmy last year and this year as well we rarely ever saw consistently in our QBs this century after Mariucci was fired. To see a QB kill it on 3rd down and lead the league in percentage of points scored on drives with the supporting cast we had is not a fluke you can manufacture like RG3's rookie season.

So when the Niners had the kick ass monster team in 2011 and 2012, I would try to convince myself that AS was going to get it done despite the hate that was out there. Kap had his run to the SB which was nice, but those two back to back blowouts in Seattle really put question marks on the guy. Even some of his wins in late 2012 and 2013 were the product of having a defense hold the other team down long enough for him to make his big plays. Sounds a lot like some QB I know in Seattle....

The difference between 2013 and 2014 in many ways was the defense, not Kap........but it was all "Kap's fault" in many people's eyes.

Anyways, there always exists the possibility that JG might not be as good as we think he is. Nothing is guaranteed in this league and truth be told the guy doesn't even have 16 starts yet, let alone as a Niner.

But consider this:

Could Chip Kelly or Tomsula or Chryst produce this kind of offense with Beathard and Mullens?

When you see the overall output of Beathard and Mullens so far under Kyle, it gives you hope we will be alright with James Richard Garoppolo.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Dec 8, 2018 at 7:55 PM ]

Even on his off days he was better than we've had here in awhile.
Originally posted by English:
Seriously? I mean, I expect stupid comments from susweel but, in so far as anyone else can assess the guy is the starter.

Wow. You should probably get a warning for this.
I still have to see at least a season of Jimmy within the system with a full compliment of weapons. If he puts up MVP caliber numbers and leads us to a Super Bowl victory I would be comfortable with him for close to 10 yrs. If he leads us to multiple Super Bowl victories then it moves past 10 and goes to maybe 15 but he is already 27. But never say never just look at Brady.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Objectively speaking, I feel he has all the intangibles and skillset to be just that but naturally, we've yet to see him do it WITHIN the offense thus far. Let's be honest...the last 5 games of last year and even his first TD pass, was mostly off schedule. This was going to be the year we got to see him grow within the confines of the entire offense and grow with Kyle together, game after game. They were robbed of that. We were robbed.

First thing I thought about as well. JG just came in with no real time in the playbook and winged it. Made plays happen. Used his field smarts. Looked like he should get paid.

Then in the off-season shanny gobbed a whole bunch of genius on the dude and it seemed to slow JG down a tad. Maybe an over-simplification. But seemed.
The coaching needs to be about winning first, and shanny, in my opinion, stats to his credit with a team full of 3rd stringers notwithstanding, should really enable his QB by not getting into his damn head at all times (see Mullins joking about that).
I love how Walsh would downplay his own thing. At the end of the day, he knew his team just had to kick the other team in the nutz sometimes. Like an in-house battle against finesse. Walsh used that to his advantage in match ups.
Jimmy seems like he can play at a high level. I still believe that. But as tied to shanny, a lot rests on shanny to coach this right.
What other option do we have? Until we find a better choice, he's here till about age 40
Share 49ersWebzone