LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Week 10 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the first half of the season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good post as usual, Marvin. Glad to have you back posting in NT. Your posts always show you're actually paying close attention to the team overall and its players (can't say the same for some others around here). This team is on the right track with Shanahan (what you mention here about him is exactly right), Lynch, and the rest of the FO. With a healthy Garoppolo, McKinnon, others - plus key pieces added via the draft, FA, & trades - and this team is competing for a playoff spot next year. Garoppolo has shown he can be clutch and close out games that are tight at the end like last night. There's been quite a few such games this year where I wish we had him. Really looking forward to him returning next season. Yet he does need help, on both sides of the ball (other playmakers), for this team to get what it ultimately wants to achieve.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Might want to consider the absolute horrible ball security and terrible penalties. That is all coaching and this team is not disciplined at all. That is on Shanny

Disagree. The turnovers were mostly on Beathard - the sack/fumbles especially.

They have actually been really good with penalties the last 5-6 games overall, though key ones - mostly ticky-tacky pass defense ones - have bit them at inopportune times. Get better pass defense talent and those will naturally go down as well.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...and prime example #1 of what I meant by staying away to avert the annoyance of stuff like this. Totally entitled to that opinion and I hear you, but its just that IMO that's so far off base I don't know where to start...and I really don't have the strength or fortitude these days to argue it.

Peace.

+1. You're exactly right, Marvin. It's why I post in NT only every so often. By the way, I reached awhile ago my limit of 20 posters where I can't see the stuff they write...I could actually reach a 30 or 40 limit no problem if given the option in here.
Marvin, you are the man. Another excellent write-up which generally (if not always) puts "on paper" what I am thinking and at least gives me something to think about for those occasions when they don't align with my thoughts. Always nice to read your writings here and they are noticeably missed when you can't get to them. Glad you are able to devote time to your other hobbies/interests, but also glad to see you make an appearance.
Might want to consider the absolute horrible ball security and terrible penalties. That is all coaching and this team is not disciplined at all. That is on Shanny. If they were disciplined and just didn't have the talent to match up it would be one thing. But this team sucks and the coaching sucks to match. Great play caller. Terrible at preparing the team.

...and prime example #1 of what I meant by staying away to avert the annoyance of stuff like this. Totally entitled to that opinion and I hear you, but its just that IMO that's so far off base I don't know where to start...and I really don't have the strength or fortitude these days to argue it.

Peace.

I rewatch the games and the coaching is the real problem. Haven't seen coaching this bad since probably Singletary. But most fans are still in denial. 10 days to prepare for a terrible 1 win Giants team and still lose at home making statue Eli look like Tom Brady is just embarrassing.
welcome back bro, good to have your insight. Made my day seeing.."thoughts after..." and your name beside it.

to piggy back on your picks, it's weird when foster, Colbert, Witherspoon, and maybe some others that I don't know showed so much potential last year and it's like...wait, what happened?

good thing about the #2 pick if we get It, is it's the #2 pick in each round..so...heck yeah...lets not mess this up again
Might want to consider the absolute horrible ball security and terrible penalties. That is all coaching and this team is not disciplined at all. That is on Shanny. If they were disciplined and just didn't have the talent to match up it would be one thing. But this team sucks and the coaching sucks to match. Great play caller. Terrible at preparing the team.

Peace.

I rewatch the games and the coaching is the real problem. Haven't seen coaching this bad since probably Singletary. But most fans are still in denial. 10 days to prepare for a terrible 1 win Giants team and still lose at home making statue Eli look like Tom Brady is just embarrassing.

M'Kay.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Peace.

M'Kay.

Lol you setting yourself up to be broken again next season.
Originally posted by susweel:

Peace.

M'Kay.

Right. So much better to predict doom and be able to claim rightness.

Peace.

M'Kay.

Not so much a prediction as just being realistic about the flaws of this team.

Peace.

M'Kay.

Not so much a prediction as just being realistic about the flaws of this team.

If you say so. Please, feel free to be "realistic".
Love your posts. Glad to have some good reading material while I wait for my truck to be repaired. What are your thoughts on Saleh and the collapses in the 4th qtr?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Peace.

M'Kay.

Nobody is claiming rightness, just have to go by reality.
Nobody is claiming rightness, just have to go by reality.

Nah, 2-8 is a good record. Signs of a well-coached team.

It may not be all Kyle's fault, but at the end of this day this is HIS team. Offense and defense are both limited by talent but there's no reason for them to be losing to teams like the Giants or the Cardinals twice.
  • Marvin49 great post, I'm 73 years old which i've mentioned before and all that means is I've watched over 60 years of 49er football in my life.
This entitles me to have a few observations. Grissom was hardly targeted and could stretch the field. Kittle reminds me soooooo much of Dwight
Clark, possession receiver. If you saw Dwight in the nfl, a football life, he commented over and over that Walsh told him, you run this route nobody
is going to be within 10 yards of you. What happened to trent taylor, is he injured, I see none of the vaunted scheming that Kyle is noted for. My
knowledge of football is limited, but I do know we ain't fooling anybody. Saleh, he shouldn't even be here. Can't remember the last red dog?? does
anyone even know what a red dog is. When the opponents rush gets going, perfect time for a screen play. Is that even in our arsenal. I see a whole
team of people that are soo bad at tackling other people it's ridiculous, remember Lott, Wright , Williamson and Hicks, first 4 players from one team
to be in the pro bowl. The officiating can take some of the heat for phantom, what happened , are you serious calls. Stretching back to 2017, there
have probably been 6 game losses attributable to high school principals moonlighting as nfl officials, Stop the friggin madness. They could call any
type of foul they want on any given play which means they have total control of OUTCOME OF EVERYGAME, EVERYGAME. Between how bad
we are and being the recipient of phantom b******t, remember last years call of trent taylor performing and illegal pick on a defensive back, ^%$#$R%l me
When I see a receiver in the endzone with 3 defenders around him, but not within 5-7 yards, what are they defending or whom.
Our defensive backs never turn around to defend if they are close enough, they usually aren't. They are either NOT GOOD ENOUGH , OR POORLY
COACHED, PROBABLY BOTH. John Lynch is probably wishing he could he somebody because brother, that's what he did.
We better find some people who want to play that don't think they are dancing entertainers putin of a frigging show. When all you need is one defensive
stop and then a first down, GEE WHIZ KYLE, YOUR DISAPPOINTED AGAIN?????????? POBRECITO, get used to it, you are the head friggin coach
am I on the right track anybody?
[ Edited by keithhr on Nov 13, 2018 at 2:29 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone