LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 207 users in the forums

Week 10 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the first half of the season...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey all. I've been away from the forum for awhile and I'll kinda explain why below for those who care in the slightest. :)

First off I've devoted alot of my time to writing...and I don't mean Niner stuff. I like to write fiction. No need to go too deep into that, but between that and politics its taken me away from the 'zone quite a bit.

More reasons to follow...

1) QB: OK, this is probably the biggest reason I've been away. I can't think of a single year of my fandom when I was more excited for a season to start than this season. I didn't expect the Niners to be SB contenders nor did I really think they'd make the playoffs, but I was looking forward to the excitement of seeing the team get built up around their franchise QB and watch the journey. The Journey is the most fun.

The INSTANT Jimmy collapsed prior to contact in KC I knew what it was. Guys don't go down like that unless its an ACL. It was the mother of all gut-punches. To be honest, it freakin broke me.

Don't get me wrong, I've been to several games this year, watched and rewatched every one and have a digital copy of each game to watch at work....you know, like at lunch ...ahem. :D My fandom has and never will waver...

...but my need to comment and express that opinion just VANISHED that Sunday afternoon. I figured I'd wait for the bye, so here I am.

I think Jimmy will be fine. The good part of all of this is that he injured the knee early enough that he could be back to full strength before camp. Additionally, he's a QB and as much as an ACL sucks, I'd take that over and arm or shoulder any day of the week.

CJ? Ya know, I really like the kid, but I feel like I'm watching Alex Smith all over again. Paralysis through Analysis. The dude just holds the ball too long. He's so damn tough and he obviously is willing to put his body on the line to do so, but he is just too slow to process what he sees. Either he holds the ball and gets sacked, or he holds the ball too long and get s sacked and fumbles or he holds it too long and the window on an open receiver closes allowing a defender to close on the ball which creates a tip which in turn creates an INT. Easy throws become contested throws and contested throws become turnovers.

Mullins is much more like Jimmy. I want to be careful as I'm not anointing Nick Mullins as anything, but his play style is MUCH more like Jimmy G than CJ. The O-Line didn't suddenly get better. Mullins has his own issues, but what he does well is make quick decisions and gets the ball out in a hurry. I think Mullins has a future as a backup in SF and who knows, maybe a starter for another team that fires its HC to hire a guy off Niner staff to run their offense.

2) Kittle: Love this guy. Biggest bright spot of the season. I don't remember who it was on this site that said they needed a more athletic TE, but I didn't then and even less now have any idea what they were talking about. Vernon Davis is a mutant. That guy ain't coming back. Kittle is a monster and to be completely honest is a better flat out football player than Vernon ever was. I don't know that there will ever be a physical freak like Vernon again, but right now I'd take Kittle over him. Blocking, Receiving, and freakin attitude. Love that guy. Oh, yeah, and he ain't too shabby an athlete in his own right.

3) RB: Someday I'm gonna learn my lesson on Breida, but I still haven't. I really like the guy, but I still think he's a platoon runner, not an every down back. They still need McKinnon and/or a drafted player at that spot.

4) Pettis: I really don't know with this guy. I know his style is kinda odd and he's kinda unorthodox, but right now I just ain't seeing it. Maybe he needs that offseason. Maybe the knww isn't healthy. I dunno. Right now though he seems outa sorts.

I mean he doesn't even seem elusive, he seems slow, and he doesn't even look like he's trying hard. That last one might just be his style and not an actual effort issue...but something just ain't right.

5) Foster: Another big disappointment this year. Was really looking forward to seeing him in year 2, but the offseason plus nagging injuries really seem to have screwed him up this year. Heres hoping he bounces back. They need him to be the guy it looked like he'd be last year.

6) 1st rounders: Yikes. Armstead (Meh), Ward (Meh), Garnett (Doh), Thomas (SMDH). Really disappointing, Thomas in particular. Armstead is who he is. He'll be an OK player, but never a star. Ward, Decent player, not worth the price. Garnett? Jury still out as the guy can't get on the field...but that in itself is a big issue.

...and Thomas. That one hurts the most. Great Kid. ROUGH Offseason for completely different reasons than Reuben. You gotta pull fo the kid...but man, I just don't see it. I've been saying this since the very first preseason game LAST year. Sometimes you look at a guy and you just KNOW. Reuben is OBVIOUSLY gifted. You can just see it. Solomon? I don't see it. Never have. I though maybe he'd develop and who knows, maybe he still can, but man...just just a guy. It hurts to use the #2 pick of the draft on "just a guy".

McGlinchey? That dude is a player. Now he ain't perfect and he's been beaten a few times, but he's got the makings of a REALLY good player and candidate for the 10 year wall at Niner HQ.

7) Shanahan: I have ZERO problems with Shanahan. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. Another of the reasons I;ve been absent from the 'zone is that I didn't want to be annoyed by scores of people i KNEW would be calling for Shannys head. I haven't been on so you guys will have to tell me if I was right or wrong on this one, but I was pretty sure that there would a fringe of the 'Zone that would be all up in arms over Shanahan and the teams less than expected season.

I will though show some stats tho to make my point....

Shanahan is currently 8-18 as a HC. Garoppolo has started 8 of them and is 6-2.

These are a few HCs after 2 seasons:
Bill Walsh - 6-24 (Montana started 8 of them)
Chuck Noll - 6-22 (Bradshaw started 8 of them)
Jimmy Johnson - 8-24 (Troy Aikman started 26 of them)

Patience...

BTW Credit 95.7 The Game for mentioning these stats a few weeks ago.

8) Sherman: Man, I have to give it up to that guy. I HATED him with a fire of 1000 suns when he was in Seattle early on. That mouth...ugg. RTurkey on the 50. Grrr.

That opinion did soften over time though as I paid more attention to politics and the 49ers really became non-competitive. Now though, he is a huge part of this team in the future, and I don't just mean as a player. His presence in the next few years will be huge. He's not pointing fingers. He's being a leader. So many 'Hawk fans told me he'd be blaming everyone else for his mistakes and that they got sick of him. Maybe they are right and that's the guy we'll see eventually. Maybe he never really was that guy and they wanted to hate on a guy who left.

Or maybe, just maybe, he's grown up a bit and realizes he's in a different stage of his career. Should be interesting to watch in next few years.

9) Team Needs: Pass Rusher, WR, CB, Pass Rusher, WR, Safety, Guard......Pass Rusher? ALot of needs and alot of ways to go in the offseason. Too early to say exactly what they should do...

10) Bosa: ...but I say Nick Bosa. :D

Hopefully won't be 2 months between posts next time.

Have a good second half of the season fellas.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 13, 2018 at 10:46 AM ]
Did you feel your ears burning after I mentioned you taking a break in my post or what?

I agree on pretty much all points. Said some similar things throughout the other thread.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Did you feel your ears burning after I mentioned you taking a break in my post or what?

I agree on pretty much all points. Said some similar things throughout the other thread.

LOL. Nah. Just been a rough year man.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Steve Young's head dying was much more brutal than Jimmy Gs knee.
Originally posted by SoCold:

Well of course it was, but that wasn't after several years of outright sucking with some winning on the horizon. I also wasn't posting in this forum when Steve took that final hit.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

LOL. I was just about to say in another thread that even Marvin gave this season up. Right on Q bro
Hey Marv, happy to see you.
  • thl408
Glad you're back. You write fiction? Can you write a story where the 49ers successfully rebuild and win a SB? Please start it with, "Once upon a time...", those are the best stories.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Well of course it was, but that wasn't after several years of outright sucking with some winning on the horizon. I also wasn't posting in this forum when Steve took that final hit.

I'm just taken aback by the most excited you've ever been like in your entire fandom for THIS season. So many question marks. We don't know if Jimmy will be a franchise QB. They just gambled and gave him the cash like one. He could be awesome for the next 10 years? He could also be injured all the time and never be able to achieve his full potential? Can Kyle be the next coordinator to become a great HC? Maybe he's just another Norv Turner? Until the team proves something I can't get that excited. My excitement with the 49ers has turned into intrigue. I'm just curious to see what kind of crazy s**t happens next. Like maybe Mullins and CJ get injured in a game and they need to play Trent Taylor at QB?
  • dj43
Welcome back, Marvin.

Always enjoy your thoughtful comments.

Great read! I agree with everything, especially about Shanahan and Kittle. JimmyG is gonna ball out next year!
Originally posted by thl408:
Glad you're back. You write fiction? Can you write a story where the 49ers successfully rebuild and win a SB? Please start it with, "Once upon a time...", those are the best stories.

LOL.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I'm just taken aback by the most excited you've ever been like in your entire fandom for THIS season. So many question marks. We don't know if Jimmy will be a franchise QB. They just gambled and gave him the cash like one. He could be awesome for the next 10 years? He could also be injured all the time and never be able to achieve his full potential? Can Kyle be the next coordinator to become a great HC? Maybe he's just another Norv Turner? Until the team proves something I can't get that excited. My excitement with the 49ers has turned into intrigue. I'm just curious to see what kind of crazy s**t happens next. Like maybe Mullins and CJ get injured in a game and they need to play Trent Taylor at QB?

As I said, it wasn't because I thought THIS team was going to win a ring. If it were than maybe 2012 or 2013 might have been the most excited. Or maybe even 1994 when they went on a spending spree and signed Norton, Plummer, Dent, etc, etc and drafted Bryant Young and WIlliam Floyd.

It was much more about seeing DRECK for so many season, there ALWAYS being questions around the Qb be it Smith, or Kap, or whatever...and now we just might have THE guy. Just maybe.

The season would likely end up 500, but we'd get a full year to see him play and see the team develop with a brilliant playcaller.

...but no. Gut Punch. Out for the year in week 3. UGGGGGGG.
Might want to consider the absolute horrible ball security and terrible penalties. That is all coaching and this team is not disciplined at all. That is on Shanny. If they were disciplined and just didn't have the talent to match up it would be one thing. But this team sucks and the coaching sucks to match. Great play caller. Terrible at preparing the team.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Might want to consider the absolute horrible ball security and terrible penalties. That is all coaching and this team is not disciplined at all. That is on Shanny. If they were disciplined and just didn't have the talent to match up it would be one thing. But this team sucks and the coaching sucks to match. Great play caller. Terrible at preparing the team.

...and prime example #1 of what I meant by staying away to avert the annoyance of stuff like this. Totally entitled to that opinion and I hear you, but its just that IMO that's so far off base I don't know where to start...and I really don't have the strength or fortitude these days to argue it.

Peace.
Share 49ersWebzone