LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Allow The scouts to matter in the draft!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • eman
  • Veteran
It sucks we are losing such agonizing defeats but atleast gives me hope that next year with some tweaks we can again be respectable in this league! It is absolutely pathetic watching us lose these games to giants and cardinals!

What pains me more is that the last two years we have had some high draft picks turn out to possibly be busts! This is because shanalynch are trying to pick their favorite players instead of actually going for the best player available motto

1. Solomon Thomas > was nearly unknown except for his playoff games against NC state, then we went all crazy for him despite having two other players who play his position because Lynch personally knew him and took classes with him and vouched for his personality/ ethic

2. Joe Williams > not on draft board but shanahan has to have his guy

3. C.J. beathard > most analysts had him ranked waaaaay lower but Kyle saw something .. God know what!

4. Dante Pettis > while clearly DE was biggest weakness, we trade multiple picks to go high up and draft this player who wants to play flag football not NFL

I'm happpy and excited to be picking up hopefully top 5 next year but am cautiously optimistic because shanahan and Lynch need to learn to make way for the scouts to actually evaluate who can be difference maker and suggest that player for us and not go by their gut feelings!
[ Edited by eman on Nov 13, 2018 at 10:51 AM ]
well this is what Jed gets for hiring a GM with no executive experience. Matt Millen 2.0

step 1 is to kick Shanahan out of the draft war room.

step 2 is to hand all GM duties to adam peters.
What makes you think the scouts havent been?
I feel defensive coaching is where the improvement is needed. They have the tools, just know how to use them. Fangio would have had this defense as one of the top in the league.
nice
[ Edited by lamontb on Nov 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM ]
Even if draf
Kyle Shanahan knows what he wants in his offense and what kind of players he wants in his offense. Joe Williams failed because of issues that had nothing to do with his talent. He was off the draft board for a reason...hopefully it was a valuable lesson for Kyle that no matter how much you like the talent if the red flags take him off the board completely...don't put him back on.

As for Beathard why are people acting like Kyle drafted him to be our future starter? I'm pretty sure the plan with Beathard was never to have him start for a while. Hoyer sucking and Jimmy's injury forced the issue.

Shanahan also pushed for Carr and Garoppolo when he was with Cleveland. They took Manziel. He pushed for Kirk Cousins despite them trading a crapload of picks for RG3.

Beathard isn't awful, he's just not a starter or someone who can play with poor talent around him. Put him on the Bears right now and he's not playing much worse than Trubisky.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
I feel defensive coaching is where the improvement is needed. They have the tools, just know how to use them. Fangio would have had this defense as one of the top in the league.

This is true we have a few very good players on defense. We just have injuries and a horrible coordinator. Shanahan is scoring so much and gaining so many yards having back ups play on offense. That's says world to me. Once Jimmy comes back he will yet again make the defense and offense look way better.

The scouts are good, forget that, just get a new training staff to try and stop these damn injuries and hopefully the front office will do something in free agency to address our pass rush and corner issues. Then we're good

Losing nine games by four points or less over the last two years? Jimmy Garoppolo will easily solve that problem
[ Edited by elguapo on Nov 13, 2018 at 9:50 AM ]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
well this is what Jed gets for hiring a GM with no executive experience. Matt Millen 2.0

step 1 is to kick Shanahan out of the draft war room.

step 2 is to hand all GM duties to adam peters.

So you want to liken Lynch to Millen yet Lynch is the guy who hired Peters and has him to lean on with navigating the draft process, building a draft board and making what they believe to be the right selections.

And what teams currently do not allow their HC in the draft war room ? This is how you sever relationships between the FO and coaching staff and how you create a tense and unstable working environment.
im all abot dat draf.

• eman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

Lol.. because even Lynch admitted he picked beathard and Williams just for shanahan despite Williams not even being on their draft board and beathard not ranked in the 3rd rd

Please English don't blindly defend our team .. emphasis on "our"
If we are going to criticize the front office for the misses we need to praise them for the hits. Mcglinchey, Warner, Kittle and Breida are all playing well. For those who think Beathard was a reach don't forget that they signed Mullens. For each mistake their has been at least one find. I know that picking Thomas so early looks like a real mistake but you don't always get it right. Look at how many first round QB's are busts every year. Several can't miss pass rushers over the years have ended up never doing anything. Every team has about the same number of hits and misses. Maybe you hit on almost all one season and completely whiff the next year. It happened to Walsh and it happens to every coach/GM. Itr's always easy to look back a year or two later and say we should have picked this guy or we should have traded up or back. I have to remind myself all the time that I'm just a fan sitting on my butt and not the guy that is making career decisions on draft day. I know it's hard to believe but they do know more than us.
Originally posted by eman:

Lol.. because even Lynch admitted he picked beathard and Williams just for shanahan despite Williams not even being on their draft board and beathard not ranked in the 3rd rd

Please English don't blindly defend our team .. emphasis on "our"

Steady. I am aware of the Williams and Beathard stories. That doesnt include any top picks. So I dont accept your argument.

And I asked you a question. Which you havent answered at all. From the perspective of Williams and Beathard, did he get recommendations from the scouts? And since when has asking you a question been "blindly defend"? Thats just BS.
  • eman
  • Veteran
Steady. I am aware of the Williams and Beathard stories. That doesnt include any top picks. So I dont accept your argument.

And I asked you a question. Which you havent answered at all. From the perspective of Williams and Beathard, did he get recommendations from the scouts? And since when has asking you a question been "blindly defend"? Thats just BS.

again John's words were that the scouting department had not even listed Williams on the draft board and he was forced to pick him just for Shannahan.. He did not say "well kyle and some of our scouts wanted him.. no he said Kyle wanted him".

I understand how some are saying beathard was not drafted to become starting Qb in 3rd rd... well, while our team has many holes, it doesn't make sense to me to draft a backup QB in 3rd rd when you can hit franchise type of players in later rounds (ala Kittle rd 5)

re solomon thomas, well... read my argument above... re Dante Pettis read what i said above

there was also the little excerpt i read during the draft, where the scouting director and lynch were talking, wanting to draft Kevin King the CB, but shannahan wanted to get Akhello instead. now you can say well, Kyle did not draft Akhello, but a rookie GM will try to appease the coach who put him in place... "https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/San-Francisco-49ers-nearly-stole-Kevin-King-from-Green-Bay-Packers--52716669/"

so in summary, i like what we have in Lynch and Kyle, I feel like we have the building blocks for a great future and possibly making SB in next few years... I really do believe we need to get CB, S, stud DE and end zone target WR and we should be great... just please scout well and invest our high picks wisely!
Originally posted by eman:

again John's words were that the scouting department had not even listed Williams on the draft board and he was forced to pick him just for Shannahan.. He did not say "well kyle and some of our scouts wanted him.. no he said Kyle wanted him".

I understand how some are saying beathard was not drafted to become starting Qb in 3rd rd... well, while our team has many holes, it doesn't make sense to me to draft a backup QB in 3rd rd when you can hit franchise type of players in later rounds (ala Kittle rd 5)

re solomon thomas, well... read my argument above... re Dante Pettis read what i said above

there was also the little excerpt i read during the draft, where the scouting director and lynch were talking, wanting to draft Kevin King the CB, but shannahan wanted to get Akhello instead. now you can say well, Kyle did not draft Akhello, but a rookie GM will try to appease the coach who put him in place... "https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/San-Francisco-49ers-nearly-stole-Kevin-King-from-Green-Bay-Packers--52716669/"

so in summary, i like what we have in Lynch and Kyle, I feel like we have the building blocks for a great future and possibly making SB in next few years... I really do believe we need to get CB, S, stud DE and end zone target WR and we should be great... just please scout well and invest our high picks wisely!

Good drop I had never seen that before. so this gives some insight to why they picked Foster. Sounds like Peters and Lynch wanted King in the 1st round while KS thought you could get better value by picking Witherspoon or Douglas in the 3rd. So I wonder who was pushing for Rueben or was he the next guy on their board after King?
Share 49ersWebzone