LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Allow The scouts to matter in the draft!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The whole "Lynch only picked Thomas because he took classes with him" thing is such BS I can barely be bothered addressing it other than to say it's BS.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
well this is what Jed gets for hiring a GM with no executive experience. Matt Millen 2.0

step 1 is to kick Shanahan out of the draft war room.

step 2 is to hand all GM duties to adam peters.
to be fair, he tried landing legit GMs and they all turned him down. lol

Same with McVay. Went after him hard, but probably turned him off with this tiny, sweaty hands.
Originally posted by English:
What makes you think the scouts havent been?

Correct!

It never ceases to amaze me that so many of the clones in the Zone act like they really know what's going on in the FO and in the draft room.
  • eman
  • Veteran
lol.. yes we are talking about it not because anyone is trying to make it up.. but lynch/ kyle "THEMSELVES" are telling you whats really going on

what else do you need to get proof that Kyle wanted Beathard and Williams ? a video proof with time stamp and the justice department authenticating its proof and all the scouts under oath swearing that they did not want beathard and williams?? lmao.. some people are just ridiculous
[ Edited by eman on Nov 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM ]
Originally posted by eman:
lol.. yes we are talking about it not because anyone is trying to make it up.. but lynch/ kyle "THEMSELVES" are telling you whats really going on

what else do you need to get proof that Kyle wanted Beathard and Williams ? a video proof with time stamp and the justice department authenticating its proof and all the scouts under oath swearing that they did not want beathard and williams?? lmao.. some people are just ridiculous

Nobody has denied that Kyle wanted those guys, but there's nothing to suggest that the scouts opposed them or didn't give favourable scouting on them.

For all we know the scouts came up with several QB's they liked and Bethard was the only one Kyle liked. That doesn't mean the scouts were completely left out of the process.
[ Edited by JaggedJ on Nov 13, 2018 at 9:11 PM ]
Lynch took classes with him and that's why he was drafted. OMFG! Will this senseless whining drivel ever stop!
Originally posted by lamontb:
Good drop I had never seen that before. so this gives some insight to why they picked Foster. Sounds like Peters and Lynch wanted King in the 1st round while KS thought you could get better value by picking Witherspoon or Douglas in the 3rd. So I wonder who was pushing for Rueben or was he the next guy on their board after King?

That story has been out there, Rueben was Adam Peters' favourite player in the draft and was #3 on our board, they simply didn't think he'd be available when that conversation took place.

They then had the interview where Kyle and Lynch said they called every team from about #20 downwards.
Originally posted by eman:
Steady. I am aware of the Williams and Beathard stories. That doesnt include any top picks. So I dont accept your argument.

And I asked you a question. Which you havent answered at all. From the perspective of Williams and Beathard, did he get recommendations from the scouts? And since when has asking you a question been "blindly defend"? Thats just BS.

again John's words were that the scouting department had not even listed Williams on the draft board and he was forced to pick him just for Shannahan.. He did not say "well kyle and some of our scouts wanted him.. no he said Kyle wanted him".

I understand how some are saying beathard was not drafted to become starting Qb in 3rd rd... well, while our team has many holes, it doesn't make sense to me to draft a backup QB in 3rd rd when you can hit franchise type of players in later rounds (ala Kittle rd 5)

re solomon thomas, well... read my argument above... re Dante Pettis read what i said above

there was also the little excerpt i read during the draft, where the scouting director and lynch were talking, wanting to draft Kevin King the CB, but shannahan wanted to get Akhello instead. now you can say well, Kyle did not draft Akhello, but a rookie GM will try to appease the coach who put him in place... "https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/San-Francisco-49ers-nearly-stole-Kevin-King-from-Green-Bay-Packers--52716669/"

so in summary, i like what we have in Lynch and Kyle, I feel like we have the building blocks for a great future and possibly making SB in next few years... I really do believe we need to get CB, S, stud DE and end zone target WR and we should be great... just please scout well and invest our high picks wisely!

Read the whole King article to get real perspective on that conversation.

The draft hadn't even started yet. They had their board and the guys they really liked. That conversation was nothing about who we're actually drafting but discussing scenarios...scenarios which never even played out.

The whole point by Shanahan was he knew the team sucked and they needed more picks and he'd rather get more guys with lesser grades versus moving up for guys who they had higher grades on.

It all went out the window when the draft actually happened because we got more picks from the trade down with Chicago and then Foster who they had as the #3 guy on their board available late in the first.

It wasn't Witherspoon over King. It was Foster over King.

If you think we're drafting players without any input from the scouts then you're crazy. At the end of the day the decision lies with Shanahan but the scouts definitely help them build the board. But there isn't a team out there where the scouts actually make the picks...
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
well this is what Jed gets for hiring a GM with no executive experience. Matt Millen 2.0

step 1 is to kick Shanahan out of the draft war room.

step 2 is to hand all GM duties to adam peters.

Or you could promote peters to GM because lawd knows that Lynch pretends to play GM but hes REALLY bad at it.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Nov 15, 2018 at 7:32 PM ]
  • eman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
What makes you think the scouts havent been?

Correct!

It never ceases to amaze me that so many of the clones in the Zone act like they really know what's going on in the FO and in the draft room.

Well when Kyle and John say "we ignored the red flags..." tells me they didn't let the scouts matter. And then a year later cut that pick.

Boom!!! Exactly my point
I don't understand why people nitpick minute details when they forget to address the elephant in the room

This is exactly what I am talking about! Obviously joe Williams and beathard should not have been picked up where they did .. but that was done because of Kyle

Another Kyle pick was Dante pettis .. he was not even ranked in the 2nd rd but we made a trade up for him .. and look how that turned out !

I just hope 9ers GM scout team and coach all realize the mistakes of years past and use it to make sure we don't make dumb picks in next years draft! That's all I am hoping for

I was flamed on WZ by a couple of posters and told that GMs and draft war rooms dont look at where players are projected to be drafted, they just draft what they like. And was told thats how it should be.

Still disagree.
Originally posted by genus49:
As for Beathard why are people acting like Kyle drafted him to be our future starter? I'm pretty sure the plan with Beathard was never to have him start for a while. Hoyer sucking and Jimmy's injury forced the issue.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. How can you say Beathard was never meant to be a starter (or even start for a while), when you traded up to draft him in the 3rd round. Its not like he was a 6th round developmental pick. We used draft capital to move up and select him. You dont do that for players you have zero intention of playing. Period.
And if they had traded up to the the third and drafted Tom Brady oh that's a different subject. Damn where is captain hindsight and his buddies woulda coulda shoulda. Looks like they are already here quick to the batcave!! Up up and away!!! Hi yo Silver!!!
Originally posted by Izyniner:
And if they had traded up to the the third and drafted Tom Brady oh that's a different subject. Damn where is captain hindsight and his buddies woulda coulda shoulda. Looks like they are already here quick to the batcave!! Up up and away!!! Hi yo Silver!!!

Is this in response to me? If so, not sure the point you are making.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Nov 16, 2018 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by genus49:
As for Beathard why are people acting like Kyle drafted him to be our future starter? I'm pretty sure the plan with Beathard was never to have him start for a while. Hoyer sucking and Jimmy's injury forced the issue.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. How can you say Beathard was never meant to be a starter (or even start for a while), when you traded up to draft him in the 3rd round. Its not like he was a 6th round developmental pick. We used draft capital to move up and select him. You dont do that for players you have zero intention of playing. Period.
Number one, I don't have a problem with investing a third round pick into a backup QB. We see the importance of having a quality backup and you don't want your season to go down the drain if your starter is hurt. The problem is, CJ Beathard was not worth a 3rd round pick. If he were drafted in the 5th round, I don't think we would've had as much of a problem. Or if Beathard were graded as a 1st-3rd round QB, then where he was drafted would've been perfect. But he was always considered a late pick, so the 5th round is the earliest we should've been looking at him. Outside of the QB position, you can still get rookie starters in the 3rd round at most positions. We are suffering through A LOT of lessons this regime has had to learn. One of them is KS and his draft crushes. He's very clear on what he needs to run his scheme and while he may be an expert in identifying what traits a player needs, a player possessing those traits doesn't suddenly make them more valuable.

KS wanted Joe Williams. Lynch didn't want him at all, but JL listened to Kyle and went with Williams. We saw how that turned out. We see the Beathard situation (who does okay in this offense for a backup but throws picks at the worse possible moment). Pettis I'm willing to give more time to, but at this moment, he's only shown he's better than AJ Jenkins. We've got to stop over drafting guys just because KS likes them or they fit the scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone