LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

State of the Team, Roster Analysis, & Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I am once again afraid JL has a lot of work to do in offseason regarding coaching improvement. Right now i can't think of anyone coach in particular doing a decent job. Most seem to be substandard. There are a lot of good assistant coaches out there, coming up the ranks. Before we improve on talent, which we badly need, we must improve our coaching staff as well.

Great point, PasoDoc...
In a great post by OTC, to me, one of the major themes that has been overlooked this year is the overall lack of discipline by the entire team....offense, defense, and special teams. Sherman himself said the other day that "youth is not an excuse" for the type of mental error we have been witnessing week after week this season. Kyle needs a couple of really good and experienced assistant coaches to help with this. Saleh is very bright but there clearly are some holes in his coaching awareness because there are glaring errors on defense (especially in the secondary) every week. The frustrating part (to me) is that some of the players have real talent that isn't being developed or used effectively.....and that is on the coaches. Time for an upgrade...in the area of assistant coaches.

Cheers!
[ Edited by longterm9erfan on Oct 14, 2018 at 6:18 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I am once again afraid JL has a lot of work to do in offseason regarding coaching improvement. Right now i can't think of anyone coach in particular doing a decent job. Most seem to be substandard. There are a lot of good assistant coaches out there, coming up the ranks. Before we improve on talent, which we badly need, we must improve our coaching staff as well.

Great point, PasoDoc... In a great post by OTC, to me, one of the major themes that has been overlooked this year is the overall lack of discipline by the entire team....offense, defense, and special teams. Sherman himself said the other day that "youth is not an excuse" for the type of mental error we have been witnessing week after week this season. Kyle needs a couple of really good and experienced assistant coaches to help with this. Saleh is very bright but there clearly are some holes in his coaching awareness because there are glaring errors on defense (especially in the secondary) every week. The frustrating part (to me) is that some of the players have real talent that isn't being developed or used effectively.....and that is on the coaches. Time for an upgrade...in the area of assistant coaches.

Cheers!

I think you guys are panicking - coaches are only as good as their players. We need better players to coach - once we upgrade our starting talent then the team will improve.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Oct 14, 2018 at 12:13 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think you guys are panicking - coaches are only as good as their players. We need better players to coach - once we upgrade our starting talent then the team will improve.

This is the reality I keep checking myself with. Trying to stay rational about it lol reminding myself that if not for JG we would have all been more sober about this rebuild.

We really need to hit home runs this offseason tho. Our draft picks have been OK. Thomas sucking is a black eye imo. If some glaring needs can be filled via free agency this year we have to jump in this time.
OTC dropping knowledge like old times
Breida is a player but he's small and gets nicked each game. I don't think he can be an every down back with his body type. If he's used in the right way and not overworked he can be productive and could be the difference between winning and losing.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
OTC dropping knowledge like old times

You know how it goes. I bottle it all up and then spit the truth when the time comes.
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Great point, PasoDoc... In a great post by OTC, to me, one of the major themes that has been overlooked this year is the overall lack of discipline by the entire team....offense, defense, and special teams. Sherman himself said the other day that "youth is not an excuse" for the type of mental error we have been witnessing week after week this season. Kyle needs a couple of really good and experienced assistant coaches to help with this. Saleh is very bright but there clearly are some holes in his coaching awareness because there are glaring errors on defense (especially in the secondary) every week. The frustrating part (to me) is that some of the players have real talent that isn't being developed or used effectively.....and that is on the coaches. Time for an upgrade...in the area of assistant coaches.

Cheers!

I have been saying this--start with Hafley (sp?) db coach.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

This is the reality I keep checking myself with. Trying to stay rational about it lol reminding myself that if not for JG we would have all been more sober about this rebuild.

We really need to hit home runs this offseason tho. Our draft picks have been OK. Thomas sucking is a black eye imo. If some glaring needs can be filled via free agency this year we have to jump in this time.

90% of this roster are KS's players. Maybe he's not a good talent evaluator?
Need to draft all defense
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

90% of this roster are KS's players. Maybe he's not a good talent evaluator?

Our roster can be broken down into aging vets and young players. The only guys who are between the two are the ones everyone wants to cut (AA, Ward etc) or are injured (Jimmy, Jet etc)

Young players take time to develop, aging vets are slowing down and a lot of their value isn't exclusively on the field.

It's that middle tier of player we don't have enough of in both quality and quantity.

Looking at players individually, I think we have talented building blocks, but collectively there still isn't the right mix.

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Here's my draft.
Pass rush
Pass rush
Pass rush
Running back
Pass rush
Pass rush
Pass rush

That's all seven rounds

our receivers are overrated.

Old man garcon can't catch or separate. One year wonder Trent Taylor with his back problems. Goodwin always hurt.

unless Pettis lights it up rest of the season, we're in some deep s**t. And this FA class for receivers are meh......we can go for Golden Tate I guess.

As
Much as we are a passing team, we are a play action passing team. That makes us a run first passing attack. Play action with out the threat of a run, is ineffective.

Our roster make up is a little off, we carry only two real running backs, Bredia and Morris. That is a huge mistake. Especially with CJ back there, he needs a strong gunning game to prop him up.

Kyle is scheming players open, they just seem to be dropping more passes then they catch.

The defense on the other hand is a pass rush based defense. We play pretty straight up on the back end by design. With the intention of getting after the qb. With out a pass rush, we practically just a scrimmage game for opposing offenses.

So, pass rush pass rush pass rush!

Oh, and better Arby!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
great post otc

I have to respectfully disagree with you Mayo... Now...is it possible that guys like Colbert and Tartt were overrated but we need only go back as far as the Harbaugh era when Jim brought in a first class coaching staff and voila....you went from a sub .500 team to a solid playoff team in one season. Coaching was a big part of that. If one looks at the Ram team now, McVay hired veteran coordinators (and actually, former head coaches) to help him in his first year as head coach and it has worked out beautifully.

Now, I do agree with you that the NIners don't have as much talent as the Rams or the NIners in 2011 but....this team does have young talent and it is up to the coaching staff to help develop and bring out the best in that talent...and I do not believe that is being done. Finally, not all of the coaches are doing a poor job but if I were Lynch / Shanny, I would look at replacing the DB coach and perhaps even Saleh. The bottom line is that there are far too many missed assignments and mental errors on defense. Also, even though AA finally seems to have found a nitch on the DL, the coordinators still haven't found a way to utilize Thomas.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Solid post OTC.

This. Can't wait to see how we attack the rest of this season trying to acquire any players via trade or FA released. Then the offseason plan & draft will be extremely important for this team.
I feel like lynch has failed us. Our oline sucks. Staley is old. The only keeper is mcglinchey. Our rbs are a bunch of ragtag misfits. Our corners consist of old ass Sherman and one foot in the casket Ward and varret. Our safeties essentially existed from the baalke era. He did rebuild the line backers and dline, but how they perform remains to be seen. They are a 5-11 team until they prove otherwise. And don't get me started on saleh. Remember, they were headed to 1-2 when Jimmy went down last year. (Could have been 0-3 if that pick 6 wasnt called back).
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Aug 28, 2019 at 1:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone