There are 145 users in the forums

Tanking?

Tanking?

As a fan, I want them to lose as many games as possible going forward. Winning a few games does nothing for the future of the team. The players obviously won't try to lose...but management can aid the tank by trading a few of the vets and playing the young guys.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything...

Tank. Just Do It
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Sep 25, 2018 at 2:00 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Costanza:
As a fan, I want them to lose as many games as possible going forward. Winning a few games does nothing for the future of the team. The players obviously won't try to lose...but management can aid the tank by trading a few of the vets and playing the young guys.

Keep in mind Jimmy is still alive and there is very good probability he'll be back next year and pick up where he left off. You want to develop and get good experience to the players on the current team so that when Jimmy steps back in, he'll have better more experience recievers, Arby's, OLine, DLine, and so on. Just because we lose the franchise QB doesn't mean you stop developing the rest of the players that will play with him next year.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Keep in mind Jimmy is still alive and there is very good probability he'll be back next year and pick up where he left off. You want to develop and get good experience to the players on the current team so that when Jimmy steps back in, he'll have better more experience recievers, Arby's, OLine, DLine, and so on. Just because we lose the franchise QB doesn't mean you stop developing the rest of the players that will play with him next year.

You can develop the young players and lose games at the same time. That's what I'm hoping for...
No. This team needs a winning mentality, especially after the loss of Jimmy. Give the young guns more confidence before jimmy returns next season. We might not win as much games as we want but I would like to compete in every game.

I don't know what team you have been watching, but SF have one of the youngest teams in the league. We have been playing the young guys. It is on account of this being a rebuilding program. Trading leaders like Staley would be criminally stupid right now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
You can develop the young players and lose games at the same time. That's what I'm hoping for...

You can develop players and let them play, and whether they win or lose, it's important that they play to the best of their ability or you will be short changing Jimmy next year with players who haven't developed to the fullest extent of their potential. I'd like a top of the line edge rusher as much as anyone, but the defense around the edge rusher can't have any weaknesses. That's why developing the current offensive and defensive players are so important.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I mean its who would you rather have Solomon Thomas or Myles Garrett?

For me, I want to see how well the coaches coach and the players play. If the expected win is 2 to 4 wins, then if they get that, it means our coaches and players are average. If they get 8 wins, it means our coaches and players are better than we thought. In other words tanking just prevents us from really finding out how good the team really is and how bad or good the coaches are. I think our coaches can get possibly 6 wins, but we won't really know that if they just all tank.

They would have taken Lynch's classmate over Garrett.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
This just might be the perfect storm brewing for this team to get better. Bosa or Oliver would immediately upgrade our D. We could sure up our OL in FA and maybe add another weapon for Jimmy when he comes back.

Still don't get why people want Oliver.

I get that he's arguably the best player in the draft. But we already have a 3T. His name is Buckner. Get a guy who can play edge.

We love out 3Ts, cannot get enough of them.

• thl408
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
They would have taken Lynch's classmate over Garrett.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king
San Francisco, picking second, had three men clearly atop its board: Garrett one, Stanford defensive lineman Solomon Thomas two and, in a surprise, Alabama middle linebacker Reuben Foster three
We already won games last season to build the moral of the organization and the fan base. Let's just go out and tank it this season and draft some studs like Bosa or Oliver to make us extremely dangerous next season
Would you be opposed to this team just completely tanking in hopes of landing Bosa or Oliver?

Or so you want to see these guys rally around CJ and try to finish we a respectable record?

Idiotic! What has happened to 49er fans?? We've played 3 games! I long for the days when the 49er Faithful were the fans. Listening to these millennial crybabies is like listening to Nancy Pelosi...
Would you be opposed to this team just completely tanking in hopes of landing Bosa or Oliver?

Or so you want to see these guys rally around CJ and try to finish we a respectable record?

Why is this question always asked. This is why sports talk radio will never go out of business...people keep asking the same question year after year somehow expecting different answers.

You're NOT a fan.
Share 49erswebzone