LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Preseason Weeks 2 and 3 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
You know. I am liking that Jimmy G is getting pissed off at the offense. He looked like he was about to kill somebody on those drops. The dude is getting paid the big bucks. He shouldn't stand mediocrity anymore. Looking at you Celek.

celek was downright awful

get healthy soon kittle!

Kittle is healthy enough...he is pre-season hurt. Not the same as regular season hurt. I am sure he will be out there week one.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
Jimmy FG still can't score TDs mostly good between the 20s. His accuracy seems to have suffered this preseason. Mnay throws are high instead hitting player in the numbers.

Oline looked really good but the colts front is probably poor.

Morris looked ok, again probably because of poor colts front 7

The WRs continue to be underwhelming, garcon looks slower.

way too many drops and penalties, probably do to "I want to be your friend" coaching.

Foster still injury prone, doubt he lasts the whole year.

Jimmie Ward poor guy just cant stay healthy. great job lynch picking up that $8.5 million option. noob GMing at its finest.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into your thoughts after re-watching the game

Thanks dawg but i didn't need to rewatch it i can see everything the first time.

Sucks we found a guy off the streets and he is our best RB.

That's what happens when you pay a 3rd down back to be a bell cow.

Yup in addition to drafting a total of ZERO running backs.

The run blocking was much better against Indy then the reps Mckinnon and Breida got. I'm hoping this is more an indication of our Oline getting on the same page. It takes time for the unit to get in sync and I think Mckinnon would have done just as much if not more damage with the lanes that were opened up against Indy.
Originally posted by islavistan:
Jimmy FG still can't score TDs mostly good between the 20s. His accuracy seems to have suffered this preseason. Mnay throws are high instead hitting player in the numbers.

way too many drops and penalties, probably do to "I want to be your friend" coaching.

Jimmie Ward poor guy just cant stay healthy. great job lynch picking up that $8.5 million option. noob GMing at its finest.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into your thoughts after re-watching the game

Thanks dawg but i didn't need to rewatch it i can see everything the first time.

The run blocking was much better against Indy then the reps Mckinnon and Breida got. I'm hoping this is more an indication of our Oline getting on the same page. It takes time for the unit to get in sync and I think Mckinnon would have done just as much if not more damage with the lanes that were opened up against Indy.

Maybe.

But Morris is the only proven every down back we have. He also was in a shanny system so i think he will be better at finding the lanes and hitting the hole. Mostly because he has shown he can do it consistently for a whole season. Nobody else we have can say the same.

Maybe.

But Morris is the only proven every down back we have. He also was in a shanny system so i think he will be better at finding the lanes and hitting the hole. Mostly because he has shown he can do it consistently for a whole season. Nobody else we have can say the same.

Its really a combination of the OL getting more in sync, and Morris having way more experience with the system than all of the RBs, and his running style that's different than the other RBs.

Kyle Shanahan said it after the game - Morris got more yards than what the OL blocked for. I think that is more so because of his running style than anything else.
I don't worry about Jimmy forcing throws in PS when I see QBs like Brees doing the same thing. Sometimes they're just testing their limits.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I don't worry about Jimmy forcing throws in PS when I see QBs like Brees doing the same thing. Sometimes they're just testing their limits.

Well, he was forcing em in like that in the regular season games we saw, too. But I like that attacking mentality from the QB. He is the leader of the team, he shouldn't shy away from gunning it in there. Of course there's a fine line between aggressive and reckless.
Originally posted by 91til:

Well, he was forcing em in like that in the regular season games we saw, too. But I like that attacking mentality from the QB. He is the leader of the team, he shouldn't shy away from gunning it in there. Of course there's a fine line between aggressive and reckless.

its ok, every good qb does that
  • thl408
Originally posted by 91til:

As long as he understands when to ease off the aggressiveness, it's a good attribute in a QB. Late game, protecting a lead, tone it down. I think asking a QB to be a bit more careful is easier than asking a QB to step out of his comfort zone and start forcing throws he isn't usually comfortable with.
Historically QBs in their 1st year of starting take some lumps over the course of the season regardless of age and I don't expect Jimmy G to be any different. He just has to get more experience playing against different defenses, different defensive personnel, and finding out what he can and what he can't get away with.

I think he has too much gunslinger in him that he'll never be a true low interception guy but as long he's not throwing the game-breaking kind of INTs I think you can live with him throwing a few more INTs in exchange for a few more big plays.

I can't even... seriously that's your reason for why receivers dropped at least 5 very catchable passes? Due to "I want to be your friend" coaching. I mean, at least come up with some explanation that's related to the actual mechanics or execution of the dropped passes. You can't have better ball placement than the Vance McDonald-style drops by Celek on 3rd & 2 (should've been 1st & goal), and Hikutini in the end zone catching and dropping the pass in one motion.

Im not worrying about that either, all great QB's try and fit the ball into tight windows. Average QB's would just throw the ball away. I seen only one bad read by jimmy and that was the pass to trent over the middle right before the half. Other than that, he was just trying to make plays when there was nothing. WR's need to catch the ball, i have a lot of faith in our wideouts so it was weird to see them off their usual game. Celek was giving me a headache, but i know kittle wouldve been the one targeted if he was playing and he wouldnt have dropped those. Excited for the season opener, though.
Aaron Rodgers threw 11 ints his first season as starter. Hasn't gone over 10 since. He'll have some lumps but he's still the real deal.
I'll just take 3 thots, Marvin:

OL....yes it looked better, BUT...Garnett went from not being able to answer the bell to play to putting in a terrific performance. Minus one, maybe 2 holding calls on Laken, we looked ready for the season. GArnett Made some really nice blocks. But the double goodie was Person looked excellent too. We had not one but TWO guys really show up on the OL. TWO and just 5 days ago we didn't have enough OLs healthy enough to get 5 starters out there. Now we got Garnett PLUS Person. To me that is a huge find. And maybe it was just the colts lousy DL but i swear they did not terrorize JimmyG as has been done previously. The OL seemed to be focused (except for holding) and did a good job of protecting "the FRANCHISE".

DL...Hero has a gif against their 1s, of a jail break passrush where Buck is doubled but AA + Solomon + DeKota all bowling over their men and all going for colts QB and all arriving on Luck at virtually the exact same moment. Looks like Solomon knocks AA out of the tackle , AA knocks DeKota off the tackle , and dekota knocks Solomon off the tackle, and Luck escapes miraculously. It was within .1 sec of all three blasting Luck simultaneously. Watching it over and over all 3 guys should have had an individual sack. All three crunched their own man and then they all took each other out. Man what a shame. The point tho was that this was the one best passrush i have seen in a long time. Maybe Colts OL is weak, IDK...but they all looked good ...really good.

OC/qB duo...where 1+1 = 7. I am certain that these two guys together are way better than the simple sum of it's parts. But there is a corollary i missed that applies also. When one goes bad and the other slips also, it is more than double trouble. When Celek had his back to back drops, Hikutini, had his TD and then dropped it, and then kyle called some seemingly different play packets that we have not seen before, i think what happened was that jimmy for the first time got a tad frustrated with his guys not being able to unzip their own flys or catch catchable balls (esp Celek's), i think jimmyG got off track and kyle responded in kind, calling sequential plays that didn't segue as they normally would . I think each guy, OC and QB got hacked off at the drops, penalties and in some cases, both in one play, and just gave up for a play or two. Most of those plays should work but guys just weren't concentrating or ??? Who knows what.

In any event players failed ...repeatedly..WRs, RBs. TEs...and it got to both kyle and jimmy. Then both of them got derailed for a few moments, and things came unglued. We had not seen that before, by either guy, but after a play or two , they came around. Until that point in time i assumed both were infallible. They aren't. But close tho. Still when our guys alternate drops with penalties, both OC and QB should be hacked off . It wasn't sustained, it was brief, but the disappointment was there. When jimmy had 5...or was it 6 passes dropped he showed disappointment but didn't make a federal case out of it. In short jimmy responded appropriately. Still, it was the first time i had seen either guy lose his cool. A couple times both did.

The two together make one heckuva pair. But when it seems like the team is playing half heartedly with penalties and drops...it can get to our QB,HC duo. They both need to not let their guard down. After a brief let down, both came back strong.

Oh shoot, one more.....The last item was Alfred Morris...how in the world are we just about to start the season with no real #1 RB and suddenly our best RB is signed just prior to PS game #3?. Man he looked better than any RB by a bunch. Jet doesn't seem to even be near Alfred's running ability. What the heck? As for Alfred, who in the world cut him and WHY? I assume it was a money deal , but wow am i glad he agreed to come here.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 28, 2018 at 10:08 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FourNine49:

Maybe.

Its really a combination of the OL getting more in sync, and Morris having way more experience with the system than all of the RBs, and his running style that's different than the other RBs.

Kyle Shanahan said it after the game - Morris got more yards than what the OL blocked for. I think that is more so because of his running style than anything else.

I Like Morris as Kyle's back to spell McKinnon. Another poster on another thread remarked that Morris runs a lot like Frank Gore. I agree. He does look a lot like Gore back there when he carries the ball.
I look forward to this thread after every game. Thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone