LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Preseason Weeks 2 and 3 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I'll just take 3 thots, Marvin:

OL....yes it looked better, BUT...Garnett went from not being able to answer the bell to play to putting in a terrific performance. Minus one, maybe 2 holding calls on Laken, we looked ready for the season. GArnett Made some really nice blocks. But the double goodie was Person looked excellent too. We had not one but TWO guys really show up on the OL. TWO and just 5 days ago we didn't have enough OLs healthy enough to get 5 starters out there. Now we got Garnett PLUS Person. To me that is a huge find. And maybe it was just the colts lousy DL but i swear they did not terrorize JimmyG as has been done previously. The OL seemed to be focused (except for holding) and did a good job of protecting "the FRANCHISE".

DL...Hero has a gif against their 1s, of a jail break passrush where Buck is doubled but AA + Solomon + DeKota all bowling over their men and all going for colts QB and all arriving on Luck at virtually the exact same moment. Looks like Solomon knocks AA out of the tackle , AA knocks DeKota off the tackle , and dekota knocks Solomon off the tackle, and Luck escapes miraculously. It was within .1 sec of all three blasting Luck simultaneously. Watching it over and over all 3 guys should have had an individual sack. All three crunched their own man and then they all took each other out. Man what a shame. The point tho was that this was the one best passrush i have seen in a long time. Maybe Colts OL is weak, IDK...but they all looked good ...really good.

OC/qB duo...where 1+1 = 7. I am certain that these two guys together are way better than the simple sum of it's parts. But there is a corollary i missed that applies also. When one goes bad and the other slips also, it is more than double trouble. When Celek had his back to back drops, Hikutini, had his TD and then dropped it, and then kyle called some seemingly different play packets that we have not seen before, i think what happened was that jimmy for the first time got a tad frustrated with his guys not being able to unzip their own flys or catch catchable balls (esp Celek's), i think jimmyG got off track and kyle responded in kind, calling sequential plays that didn't segue as they normally would . I think each guy, OC and QB got hacked off at the drops, penalties and in some cases, both in one play, and just gave up for a play or two. Most of those plays should work but guys just weren't concentrating or ??? Who knows what.

In any event players failed ...repeatedly..WRs, RBs. TEs...and it got to both kyle and jimmy. Then both of them got derailed for a few moments, and things came unglued. We had not seen that before, by either guy, but after a play or two , they came around. Until that point in time i assumed both were infallible. They aren't. But close tho. Still when our guys alternate drops with penalties, both OC and QB should be hacked off . It wasn't sustained, it was brief, but the disappointment was there. When jimmy had 5...or was it 6 passes dropped he showed disappointment but didn't make a federal case out of it. In short jimmy responded appropriately. Still, it was the first time i had seen either guy lose his cool. A couple times both did.

The two together make one heckuva pair. But when it seems like the team is playing half heartedly with penalties and drops...it can get to our QB,HC duo. They both need to not let their guard down. After a brief let down, both came back strong.

Oh shoot, one more.....The last item was Alfred Morris...how in the world are we just about to start the season with no real #1 RB and suddenly our best RB is signed just prior to PS game #3?. Man he looked better than any RB by a bunch. Jet doesn't seem to even be near Alfred's running ability. What the heck? As for Alfred, who in the world cut him and WHY? I assume it was a money deal , but wow am i glad he agreed to come here.

Just a note on Jet.

To be fair, we've only seen him get like 4 or 5 carries in the preseason. We really have no idea yet what he's going to be come the regular season. The O-Line blocked FAR, FAR better in Indy than they did vs Dallas.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Just a note on Jet.

To be fair, we've only seen him get like 4 or 5 carries in the preseason. We really have no idea yet what he's going to be come the regular season. The O-Line blocked FAR, FAR better in Indy than they did vs Dallas.

Yessir, having a RG who can actually block...that does make a difference. The OL differnce in DAL and Colts was, well...remarkable. Until that game i was afraid we were taking that OL line that coudn't block to the season. Nope...our two guys, Person and GArnett, both took the smelling salts simultaneously . Just in the nick of time. As for Jet, i agree...we haven't seen anything of him yet. We will. Still and all...Alf? Sheesh, what an addition...and 3 days before the next to last PS game. Impresssive...at least for me, anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone