There are 200 users in the forums

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Yeah I know 4th stringers against 9th stringers yada yada. Impossible to tell yada yada. But I'm VERY curious to see how this plays out over the next 3 games. I just got home from the game so I haven't seen the "film" yet but live and in person Nick had the team (9th stringers or not) ROLLING. CJ had his moments but looked generally lack luster. Don't get me wrong. I was rooting for Ceej like crazy to pound the Cowturds back ups but he never seemed to have that "spark". I hope I'm wrong and CJ tears it up in the next 3 games but Mullens looks like he has "it". Am I right?
Mullens was great, he also did it against mostly future management trainees at Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

Long term he might have a future as a backup in the NFL but I wouldn't base it off of tonight.

/poll
Wheres the laces?

Anyway too early to start with this. We have three more games.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Its the preseason. Mullens doesn't have "it". The NFL has a rich tradition of great preseason performances by absolute garbage players. This might end up being the most significant moment of Nick Mullens' entire career. I wouldn't read into it.
I mean CJ looked like he was stuck in mud last night....dude still lacks what he has since day 1 in pocket presence and getting the ball out quickly/efficiently.

CJ is the backup, but he's gotta do better than what he showed last night.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I mean CJ looked like he was stuck in mud last night....dude still lacks what he has since day 1 in pocket presence and getting the ball out quickly/efficiently.

2.0 looked an awful lot like 1.0
Not enough data, but Beathard played in real regular season games last year against 1st string Ds & fought hard as a rookie.
Beathard needs to become captain checkdown to be a good backup QB. He looks for the deep ball but waits for the receiver to get open and when they arent he already wasted too much time coming off his first read. But just run receivers off and check down to make him a game manager.

But I do hope they give Mullens a shot against the 2's to see if he can pull off a similar performance. Just seems like since Beathard was a 3rd rounder (?) he will be given one more year unless Mullens plays lights out.

Originally posted by Niners816:

2.0 looked an awful lot like 1.0

More like 0.5
I think CJ is a better practice player and qb room student. I think come game time Mullens has the preferred rainbow arch and arm strentgh that CJ lacks.

Last night CJ had 3 passes batted down and his ball is a dart thrown low, easy to bat down. It was amateur hour when he did not lob the ball over the blitzer to the RB, he tried to throw it and it was an easy bat down.

CJ also looks like he has cement in his shows, is brave in pocket, but his reaction, read and throwing time is like watching paint dry, very slow.

Give Mullens a shot with the 2's the only way to fairly evaluate him. That being said Mullens is not a hot commodity and would make our PS no problem, so it is a win win for Kyle
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/poll

I still remember them deep passes
CJ reminds me of Alex Smith. Very safe and throws are always just a hair late. #noRac
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I have to agree. Mullins' reads were quick and his throws were on the money and was able to move the ball against future grocery clerks. I think he has promise, and while Mullin's played against guys who are going to be cut, it shows his progress from last years pre-season (he threw an interception, but I dont' remember him throwing a TD). CJ can play, and if he's not carful - Mullin's can pass him up. Maybe not *this* year, but perhaps next year.
Share 49ersWebzone