There are 247 users in the forums

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Jiks:
Just like last year, the oline looked functional AFTER Beathard was benched. As many others have pointed out he is too slow in his reads and decision making.

Yeah, it's amazing how he OL looks like crap when CJ is in there.

Any OL Drew Bledsoe played behind "sucked".
Muellens looked good, but I still think CJ is better.

I like CJ, but I like Nick better.

LOL Mayo. The King of Flip Flop
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

• mayo49
  • Veteran

No, I said that before we had a better look at Mullens. I'm definitely a Mullens guy now.
CJ O'Mullivens
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
CJ O'Mullivens

Sounds like an Irish cowboy.
Mullins has proved himself thus far. CJ is strictly a backup. It will be interesting to see what NFL teams think about Mullins and if there will be any offers.
Never been a CJ fan. He's a dime a dozen imo.
Who's better, CJ or Mullins? Is this a trick question?
CJ could be a good fit for a team like the Fins. They have Tannehill who can't stay healthy. Brock who is decent at best with Gase and third stringer David Fales.

Maybe even the Falcons, if Schaub (38) retires.
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Dec 20, 2018 at 9:39 AM ]

Mullens is better right now but I wouldn't completely write off CJ. He is still young and doesn't have a lot of experience. He may still develop somewhere down the line. Maybe it won't be with the Niners but he does have a stronger arm than CJ. The question is can he ever develop his ability to read the defenses and get rid of the ball quicker.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Any OL Drew Bledsoe played behind "sucked".

lol true
this question has been answered ..... nick nick nick nick and nick again
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Just like last year, the oline looked functional AFTER Beathard was benched. As many others have pointed out he is too slow in his reads and decision making.

Yeah, it's amazing how the OL looks like crap when CJ is in there.

Because it really is crap.

Yeah the OL still looks like crap. Mainly on the interior. Weston continues to get abused in pass protection. Mullens is still getting hit a lot and sacked. He just gets the ball out quicker to avoid some of those sacks. Both he and Beathard have endured their share of vicious shots taken this year.
A year ago this poll was 80% CJ and 20% BDN. What a difference a year makes.........

Aug 9, 2018 Aug 9, 2018
Originally posted by LenCat:
Yeah I know 4th stringers against 9th stringers yada yada. Impossible to tell yada yada. But I'm VERY curious to see how this plays out over the next 3 games. I just got home from the game so I haven't seen the "film" yet but live and in person Nick had the team (9th stringers or not) ROLLING. CJ had his moments but looked generally lack luster. Don't get me wrong. I was rooting for Ceej like crazy to pound the Cowturds back ups but he never seemed to have that "spark". I hope I'm wrong and CJ tears it up in the next 3 games but Mullens looks like he has "it". Am I right?

Aug 10, 2018
Originally posted by Niners99:
Its the preseason. Mullens doesn't have "it". The NFL has a rich tradition of great preseason performances by absolute garbage players. This might end up being the most significant moment of Nick Mullens' entire career. I wouldn't read into it.

Originally posted by Geeked:
CJ had a bad game, didn't get the ball out quick enough and the line wasn't doing him any favors.

Mullens played against guys that will be doing something other than playing football in a couple of months... He needs time with ones and twos before an honest assessment can me made.

Aug 18, 2018
Originally posted by LenCat:
Well that is two weeks in a row Mullens looked Like the better back up. I hope Shanny puts him in there with the number twos next week and gives him some extended playing time

Aug 20, 2018
I like CJ myself.

Aug 30, 2018
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
This is the typical zone overreaction in the preseason. Simmer down.

This is not a "preseason" evaluation. It goes back to last year. Beatherd was unimpressive then, and still is. Granted we've seen little of Mullens, but what we have seen is markedly better than what CJ has shown. Yes, he's tough. End of story. Mullens appears to have a quicker release, better pocket presence, and asid from a couple of bad passes, better accuracy and decision making.
Glad KS is the one making the calls and not the webzone...

Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Not one of Mullens' better efforts, but I still prefer him over Beatherd. The 4th stringer looked ok except for the low passes.

Nov 1, 2018 (After BDN's record breaking 1st start)
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
Mullens, by far

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Mullens is clearly better. He should be the starter.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Judging by just this game?

Arm strength - Beathard
Deep ball - Beathard
Toughness - Beathard
Release - Mullens
Pocket presence - Mullens
Reading blitz - Mullens

Unfortunately for CJB, the bottom three often win you far more games than the first three qualities.

Originally posted by smithgdwg:
So do we trade CJ to the Raiders?

Its the preseason. Mullens doesn't have "it". The NFL has a rich tradition of great preseason performances by absolute garbage players. This might end up being the most significant moment of Nick Mullens' entire career. I wouldn't read into it.

oops

My comment was in response to someone's total overreaction to Mullens beating a 4th string preseason defense. Same thing he did tonight.

But seriously, he looked good. Much better than Beathard.

He just looks more confident out there than Beathard. But again, it was the Raiders.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by sacniner:
I don't see Shanahan now start Mullen over CJ. CJ is Kyle's boy.

No way in hell Mullens isn't starting next game

Bet you a nickel CJ starts.

Bet.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
CJ is without a doubt, the toughest guy i have ever seen at QB. Also the guttiest...as in he has more guts than anyone. But he is awful at reading Ds, and he is equally bad at going thru his reads.. those two items are QB killers. He appears no better at reading Ds nor at going thru progressions this yr than last. He stiill has more guts than any QB in memory. But with no progress in reads or progressions, when kyle said "Your NFL career is not over", it sounded more like the "K.O.D"...aka, the Kiss of Death.

If Mullens plays anything like his last game( literally his first), then CJ has limited time remaining here. My bet is that mullens looks much like he did in Raids game when we play the GNATs. I have a hard time believing that was a one off performance.

Dec 19 & 20, 2018

Yeah, it's amazing how the OL looks like crap when CJ is in there.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Who's better, CJ or Mullins? Is this a trick question?

Originally posted by T-9ers:
Never been a CJ fan. He's a dime a dozen imo.

Originally posted by swaccmac1:
this question has been answered ..... nick nick nick nick and nick again
Share 49ersWebzone