LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

• Antix
  • Veteran
I've seen enough of CJ holding the ball for 45 minutes before throwing it at somebody's feet. Mullens should get a shot with the 2's.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think CJ is a better practice player and qb room student. I think come game time Mullens has the preferred rainbow arch and arm strentgh that CJ lacks.

Last night CJ had 3 passes batted down and his ball is a dart thrown low, easy to bat down. It was amateur hour when he did not lob the ball over the blitzer to the RB, he tried to throw it and it was an easy bat down.

CJ also looks like he has cement in his shows, is brave in pocket, but his reaction, read and throwing time is like watching paint dry, very slow.

Give Mullens a shot with the 2's the only way to fairly evaluate him. That being said Mullens is not a hot commodity and would make our PS no problem, so it is a win win for Kyle

I dont know. I think if Mullin's keeps lighting it up like he did last night, it will be hard to keep him on the practice squad. Having said that, he is still playing against guys that aren't going to make the 53 cut. But dang he looked good out there, and he'll be generating a lot of interest with his production and performance last night. If he's put on the PS after 4 good games *like* how he played last night - I can see QB needy teams poaching him from the PS.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I think CJ is a better practice player and qb room student. I think come game time Mullens has the preferred rainbow arch and arm strentgh that CJ lacks.

Last night CJ had 3 passes batted down and his ball is a dart thrown low, easy to bat down. It was amateur hour when he did not lob the ball over the blitzer to the RB, he tried to throw it and it was an easy bat down.

CJ also looks like he has cement in his shows, is brave in pocket, but his reaction, read and throwing time is like watching paint dry, very slow.

Give Mullens a shot with the 2's the only way to fairly evaluate him. That being said Mullens is not a hot commodity and would make our PS no problem, so it is a win win for Kyle

I dont know. I think if Mullin's keeps lighting it up like he did last night, it will be hard to keep him on the practice squad. Having said that, he is still playing against guys that aren't going to make the 53 cut. But dang he looked good out there, and he'll be generating a lot of interest with his production and performance last night. If he's put on the PS after 4 good games *like* how he played last night - I can see QB needy teams poaching him from the PS.

I wouldn't be so hard on CJ. We don't know what his goal was going into this game. Maybe CJ was trying to improve his progressions or looking defenses off which resulted in the later throws or holding onto the ball. Maybe Mullin's was working on immediately hitting the presnap read?

A lot of these guys who are not rookies use preseason to practice things they are working on in live action. No different than a veteran edge rusher working on a move he hasn't perfected but since he hasn't perfected it, he keeps getting stonewalled.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:
I've seen enough of CJ holding the ball for 45 minutes before throwing it at somebody's feet. Mullens should get a shot with the 2's.

If I was Kyle, I'd be really tempted to play Mullins right after Garoppolo in next pre-seasons game. Then again, Kyle can do that in practice so that he can *hide* him for as long as possible. In other words, Kyle can probably better asses Mullin's in practice because he actually can put Mullins agains the ones, to see how he does without exposing him to the entire NFL and losing him if he's put on the practice squad.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
CJ had a bad game, didn't get the ball out quick enough and the line wasn't doing him any favors.

Mullens played against guys that will be doing something other than playing football in a couple of months... He needs time with ones and twos before an honest assessment can me made.

With that said, there's some rust that needs to be shaken off, so, this may be a better discussion towards the 3rd or 4th pre-season game.

Edit*

I was a bit disappointed with CJ on the WR choice rout as it appeared Pettis read the correct decision to cut it into a return rout due to over the top and CB position and CJ threw it long anyways. If I read the play correctly, Pettis made a vet decision and CJ is still...
[ Edited by Geeked on Aug 10, 2018 at 7:53 AM ]
CJ's hangdog look, dude looks defeated even before he takes the field
The real answer is neither. We need to find a better backup qb going forward.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Giedi:

I wouldn't be so hard on CJ. We don't know what his goal was going into this game. Maybe CJ was trying to improve his progressions or looking defenses off which resulted in the later throws or holding onto the ball. Maybe Mullin's was working on immediately hitting the presnap read?

A lot of these guys who are not rookies use preseason to practice things they are working on in live action. No different than a veteran edge rusher working on a move he hasn't perfected but since he hasn't perfected it, he keeps getting stonewalled.

Well, CJ played much better than last year, the improvement was noticable to me. He was a bit more consistent in keeping drives alive, but those tipped passes the resulted in turnovers are a disappointment. I think he did one of those tipped passes in the New York game last year (where he beat the Giants?) and he still hasn't learned to arc that throw to the RB/TE flairing out.

As for Nick Mullens - his improvement was outstanding! I'd say BeatHard improved by 20% while Mullens improved by 200% (again both from last years pre-season performance standpoint) If Nick continues to play well, he will make it very difficult for ShanaLynch to put him on the PS this year.
I make no judgements on personnel from exhibition games. Players playing against guys who are merely practice players is not a realistic look at ability. No game planning at all so we what we see is nothing but a glorified workout. Mostert looks fantastic late in games against backups where he can just use his speed but if he was really that good would the coaching staff have him doing nothing but special teams. Same for Mullins. He looked good against all those backups but how would he do against the first team defense? The coaches see these guys all week. We see them for 60 minutes.
Mullens needs an opportunity with the 2s.

Beathard was a big disappointment. Too slow on his reads.

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/poll

lol this. I've learned my lesson.
Tbh they're both hot garbage.
Jimmy G better be kept upright this year or it's a wrap.
It was only one pre-season game, so it's probably not time to make that call. One thing is for sure, Beathard didn't play well yesterday and Mullens did well. It will be interesting to see how this develops going forward.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/poll

Lol Nate Davis was the poster child of pre-season warriors
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Muellens looked good, but I still think CJ is better.
Share 49ersWebzone