LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 187 users in the forums

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who's better CJ or Mullens?

I think CJ's injury is similar to his injury when Jimmy GQ got the nod. It's probably not as serious as it has been reported, so it allows Mullens a chance to prove if he's playing better than CJ while allowing CJ and Kyle to save face for a possible demotion. If Mullens plays better and takes the #2 job away then Kyle will point to Nicks great play as the reason, and not to CJ's lack of improvement.

I like CJ, I think the dude is tough as nails, having said that I don't see improvement from last year to this so far. Obviously it is preseason, but that's where he gets his opportunity and right now he is squandering those opportunities imo.

I hope between Williams and Beathard struggling that Kyle is learning to place more importance on value rather than getting "his guy". Both guys have been really disappointing in this preseason.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 20, 2018 at 11:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I am guessing Mullens will get the 2nd half against the Colts next week, since Beathard has a foot sprain.

"foot sprain"?? HAHA! PERFECT!! Sounds to me like Shanny figured out a way to "bench" CJ w/out publicly embarrassing him and killing his confidence even more. It's gotta be SHOT after his last 2 performances.

Hopefully Mulls gets the whole 2nd and 3rd quarters and we can get a look at big Jack Heneghan in the 4th
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Put CJ on IR and trade for teddy bridgwater
Originally posted by susweel:

Would have loved to see the 49ers pickup Teddy but I doubt he wants to be here. He wants to be a full fledged starter again or at least to show he can be one. That isn't happening behind Garoppolo.

I'm a HUGE Teddy Roosewater fan but based on what I've seen of him, he's ready to resume his starting rôle. Maybe KC, AZ, Chi (just examples), somewhere where a young QB crashes and burns.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

I'm a HUGE Teddy Roosewater fan but based on what I've seen of him, he's ready to resume his starting rôle. Maybe KC, AZ, Chi (just examples), somewhere where a young QB crashes and burns.

Miami says "Hello".
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like CJ myself.
This is the typical zone overreaction in the preseason. Simmer down.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
I think CJ's injury is similar to his injury when Jimmy GQ got the nod. It's probably not as serious as it has been reported, so it allows Mullens a chance to prove if he's playing better than CJ while allowing CJ and Kyle to save face for a possible demotion. If Mullens plays better and takes the #2 job away then Kyle will point to Nicks great play as the reason, and not to CJ's lack of improvement.

I like CJ, I think the dude is tough as nails, having said that I don't see improvement from last year to this so far. Obviously it is preseason, but that's where he gets his opportunity and right now he is squandering those opportunities imo.

I hope between Williams and Beathard struggling that Kyle is learning to place more importance on value rather than getting "his guy". Both guys have been really disappointing in this preseason.

I predict that Mullins will do as badly as CJ with regards to playing against the ones and twos. Having said that, that's **not** what I want to happen. I want him to kill it and dominate the ones and twos and make it really hard for ShanaLynch to pick who is going to be number 2 QB. The reason I say that Mullins is going to do just as badly as CJ -- is because of the speed and agility of the ones and twos vs the threes. The windows are much tighter playing against the ones vs the threes (for example).
Is it just me or does it look like some of Jimmy G has rubbed off on Mullins? I feel like he's playing much lighter on his feet, and his release seems more compact and much quicker than last year.
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 20, 2018 at 7:58 PM ]

Originally posted by Heroism:
Is it just me or does it look like some of Jimmy G has rubbed off on Mullins? I feel like he's playing much lighter on his feet, and his release seems more compact and much quicker than last year.

What film was Beathard studying?
Originally posted by Heroism:

Practicing with, and watching someone better than you, can help of course. But so can a year of coaching and time in the same system. Probably a little of both things.
That's like asking if you'd like your poop sandwich with fries or a side salad...
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

This is not a "preseason" evaluation. It goes back to last year. Beatherd was unimpressive then, and still is. Granted we've seen little of Mullens, but what we have seen is markedly better than what CJ has shown. Yes, he's tough. End of story. Mullens appears to have a quicker release, better pocket presence, and asid from a couple of bad passes, better accuracy and decision making.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

This is not a "preseason" evaluation. It goes back to last year. Beatherd was unimpressive then, and still is. Granted we've seen little of Mullens, but what we have seen is markedly better than what CJ has shown. Yes, he's tough. End of story. Mullens appears to have a quicker release, better pocket presence, and asid from a couple of bad passes, better accuracy and decision making.
Glad KS is the one making the calls and not the webzone...
Share 49ersWebzone