LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Landry at 9 along with Buck and the other guys and we should give QBs enough pressure to feed these guys a ton of picks this year
that should be "Legion of WHOM?"
Originally posted by pdizo916:
The Legion of Who?
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 24, 2018 at 10:04 PM ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Landry at 9 along with Buck and the other guys and we should give QBs enough pressure to feed these guys a ton of picks this year

If Landry is a reach at 9 and one of the top 4 QBs are still on the board I wonder how far down we can drop/trade before another team of beef would want him?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I don't really care one way or the other about this, but Shanny was the one interested so...

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/10/delvin_breaux_signing_is_best.html

Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Also, let us not forget about Chanceller James, a SS prospect from last year. The team was high on him but he got hurt and had to be put on IR.... He is back so the team has nice depth there. So, I disagree at this moment that safety is a need position. I actually think the team feels pretty good about their safeties right now.

Again, the biggest needs this team has are edge rusher, OG, ILB (as long as Foster stays in trouble), and CB.....pretty much in that order. One could also make the case that TE is a bigger need than WR, but at that point, we are splitting hairs. The team could also use a bruising RB to complement the guys they have. Right now, the team is actually pretty solid in a lot of areas.

Cheers!

I forgot about Chanceller James. He was having a heck of a camp before he tore his ACL.... Could be in the mix as at least a key depth/ST's guy
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
Ward is awful, no way around it

Safety is a need. Tartt and Colbert are unproven, moreso Tartt who had more seasons to prove himself. I like that he is a hard hitter ala dashon Goldson but he does not have the ball hawking instinct nor so good against speedy receivers

Our priorities now are #1 guard #2 linebacker (if foster does not return) #3 dB and we should definitely go bpa because this team still has many holes to fill

He's certainly not awful. He is injured an awful lot but he is a pretty solid player when he is healthy. Great depth guy really.
This secondary has a chance to really be good - just hoping guys can stay healthy. Hopefully, Sherman can fully come back from his injury...Tartt and especially Ward need to stay healthy...Colbert now has a year under his belt and should continue to get better in this scheme...Witherspoon had a good rookie year and should continue to improve...Williams is so solid in the slot. Not sure if they still plan on adding another veteran CB - wouldn't mind Breaux if he's healthy. The question I'm curious about...if Denzel Ward is there at #9, do the Niners take him? He might be too good to pass up at that spot.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Mar 30, 2018 at 10:23 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
Ward is awful, no way around it

Safety is a need. Tartt and Colbert are unproven, moreso Tartt who had more seasons to prove himself. I like that he is a hard hitter ala dashon Goldson but he does not have the ball hawking instinct nor so good against speedy receivers

Our priorities now are #1 guard #2 linebacker (if foster does not return) #3 dB and we should definitely go bpa because this team still has many holes to fill

He's certainly not awful. He is injured an awful lot but he is a pretty solid player when he is healthy. Great depth guy really.

Depth guy getting #9 Safety money and #21 CB money in the league this year. God I hope we don't make the same mistake with AA's fifth year option.

This. Yes, he's making a lot this year but the offseason hasn't even started yet...he might be more than depth as the competition in the secondary plays out. The big question is can he stay on the field, stay injury-free.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Mar 30, 2018 at 10:30 AM ]
We still need to add a DB in the draft, can't bet the whole season on Sherman being healthy. There is a reason Seattle was okay letting him go.

I like Sherman's contract because the teams not in the hook financially if he can't play, and that's great, but we would still need some insurance in the form of a player opposite 'Spoony.

Lastly the bug what if regarding 'Spoon is, will he have a sophomore slump, or step it up in his second year?

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
We still need to add a DB in the draft, can't bet the whole season on Sherman being healthy. There is a reason Seattle was okay letting him go.

I like Sherman's contract because the teams not in the hook financially if he can't play, and that's great, but we would still need some insurance in the form of a player opposite 'Spoony.

Lastly the bug what if regarding 'Spoon is, will he have a sophomore slump, or step it up in his second year?

We'll certainly be getting another CB (probably in the 3rd like last year) and a backup FS.

RCB: Ahkello Witherspoon; Jimmie Ward & Tyvis Powell
S/CB: K'Waun Williams; Trovon Reed
LCB: Richard Sherman; Greg Mabin & Channing Stribling
FS: Adrian Colbert; Dexter McCoil & Don Jones
SS: Jaquiski Tartt; Chancellor James
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 30, 2018 at 11:13 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

how do we know. he never plays and when he,,. oh skip it
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Well, if you take a look at the one strongest part of the team, it is the DL, with basically what started out as 2 DLs, to rotate every 5 plays, IIRC. That soon shifted to a platoon for running downs, 1 and 2, and then platoon in our pass D for down 3. But if you look at that DL it is pretty darn ferocious. Solomon, DeFo, DJ, Blair, Day, Arik, Cassius, Pita, mitchell, (Ok some of these guys could be LBs, but ...) we have a solid bunch of DLs, but sadly no EDGE. One EDGE and this team is the nuts. But that EDGE has to be a force. If Landry is, then he makes the D. That is the real piece we need. GRanted , Reuben didn't help things with off season stuff, but still we have a very fine front 4 ...which really is 8. There are a couple more I missed. IF we cannot generate a pass rush with Landry, then he was a poor choice. He's got my vote, but i hope he is THE GUY. To land a FR QB AND EDGE...wow that is one helluva season..or preseason. My question is , IS he the guy. I hope so because i want an EDGE so damn bad. But is he good enough. I guess if JL takes him the answer is yes. If not, that answers the question. Man i sure hope we don't take Derwin or S at 9. This is our last shot for awhile at an EDGE. Whole question boils down to JLs appraisal.

If we take Roquan...then Landry wasnt' judged to be good enough. And that would hurt. We need that EDGE. Davenport is another possibility, and i know they looked at him a few days back. Same thing...is he good ENOUGH? If JL likes an EDGE , then we see, but he has been pretty much right on with exception of extra curricular stuff/Reuben. Frankly at #31, I would have done it too..Here, having a guy who lived football , pretty much his entire life from high school on, he has a good take on talent. Can't fault that. If both Roquan and Landry/DAvenport are all there, and he takes Roquan, we will have our answer. But that EDGE...what if he isn't the best we need him to be, but if they think he can be coached up, then we have that killer D next yr. Just not this one. One thing for sure, and that is we probably are going to get a really nice starter here....unless he pulls the trigger on a S. That would hurt. Mocks , a number of them have us taking S at 9. Yuck.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Tre Boston
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Still would like a DB in the draft. It's a good class and you can never have enough quality DBs.
Share 49ersWebzone