There are 186 users in the forums

49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's talk 2018 49ers Secondary....

Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon, Jaquiski Tartt, Adrian Colbert; That is a pretty good starting secondary on paper though obviously Sherman is coming of a serious injury and Tartt and Colbert are still a bit unproven and have their own durability questions.

Though, we do have Jimmy Ward as basically another starting DB as he can play both CB spots, nickel corner and free safety. Say what you want about him, but having him as our 5th DB is a huge plus especially with Sherman coming of that achillies injury. Also we have K'Wuan Williams who played really well as our nickel corner last year and I think he only gets better. So basically we have 6 starters. I also think Greg Mabin is a guy worth keeping an eye on and I think he can develop into a solid player for us.

We will take a Corner/DB early in the draft, I hope it is the 2nd or 3rd rd and not with our first pick. I love Derwin James, absolutely love him but I don't consider safety a need and it would almost be a luxury pick for us and I don't think we're at that point yet. I would pass on Denzel Ward at 9. I love Jaire Alexander and would consider him if we could trade down from 9. I really think Minkah Fizpatrick is going to be the guy JOHN LYNCH wants to take at 9 if he is available. I like Fitzpatrick, but again he is more of a safety than corner and he is also a little bit to much of a tweener for my liking, at least for a top 10 player. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a player and basically a bigger version of Tyrann Mathieu but I don't think he is worth taking at 10, at least for us.

In the 2nd or 3rd RD I really, REALLY like J.C Jackson from Maryland. I think he may end up being the best cornerback from this draft. I also like Carlton Davis from Auburn in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Very good, deep draft for cornerbacks and which is why I hope we don't take a CB/DB at #9.
The Legion of Who?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
The Legion of Who?

LOL
Don't forget K'Wuan Williams in the slot. When he got healthy, he came on strong too towards the end of the year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Don't forget K'Wuan Williams in the slot. When he got healthy, he came on strong too towards the end of the year.

I mentioned him
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I mentioned him

Ward is awful, no way around it

Safety is a need. Tartt and Colbert are unproven, moreso Tartt who had more seasons to prove himself. I like that he is a hard hitter ala dashon Goldson but he does not have the ball hawking instinct nor so good against speedy receivers

Our priorities now are #1 guard #2 linebacker (if foster does not return) #3 dB and we should definitely go bpa because this team still has many holes to fill
I'd like to see them hire another FA vet to backup and give competition to the cornerbacks - better if they can also play special teams. And then draft another Witherspoon in the mid-rounds (shouldn't be hard to find another guy just like Spoon ).
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188898-lets-talk-49ers-secondary/
Originally posted by alwayssecond:

Safety is a need. Tartt and Colbert are unproven, moreso Tartt who had more seasons to prove himself. I like that he is a hard hitter ala dashon Goldson but he does not have the ball hawking instinct nor so good against speedy receivers

Our priorities now are #1 guard #2 linebacker (if foster does not return) #3 dB and we should definitely go bpa because this team still has many holes to fill

What about Edge rusher?

Originally posted by hello49:

What about Edge rusher?

Either armstead, marsh or the new fa Jeremiah
Also, let us not forget about Chanceller James, a SS prospect from last year. The team was high on him but he got hurt and had to be put on IR.... He is back so the team has nice depth there. So, I disagree at this moment that safety is a need position. I actually think the team feels pretty good about their safeties right now.

Again, the biggest needs this team has are edge rusher, OG, ILB (as long as Foster stays in trouble), and CB.....pretty much in that order. One could also make the case that TE is a bigger need than WR, but at that point, we are splitting hairs. The team could also use a bruising RB to complement the guys they have. Right now, the team is actually pretty solid in a lot of areas.

Cheers!
Pretty much the entire secondary is a questionmark to me. Spoon 2nd season and Sherman off a major injury. After them 2 i can't name another starter at CB.

He's not awful, he is injury prone. Not the same thing. Either is not a good thing though.
Originally posted by hello49:

What about Edge rusher?

Either armstead, marsh or the new fa Jeremiah

Kidding right?
Share 49ersWebzone