49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 811 users in the forums

Week 4 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erred:
As I mentioned at the end of the game 3 thread. 4 positions are of a premium in the nfl.

1. Franchise qb
2. LT
3. shut down cb
4. premier pass rusher

The niners only have 1, and that LT is aging. The team simply cannot be competitive until the other 3 positions are addressed. Period

I agree that those positions are very important but I think a team can be competitive with 3 maybe 2 of those.
The 2012 squad had Staley and Aldon.
A premier pass rusher makes the shut down corner less necessary and vice versa.
Still when a team has all four, that's a Super Bowl squad.
A dominant front 7 is far more important then the CB.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,412
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
No mention of Trent Taylor? The kid has fire and toughness. He was like Honey Badger who?

He's been good and productive but he needs to chill with the offensive pass interference. 2 weeks in a row now? WTF

Unlike last week, we were able to see the Penalty, he was definately guilty this time and cost us the TD with Breida

Both were pretty ticky tack calls.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
No mention of Trent Taylor? The kid has fire and toughness. He was like Honey Badger who?

He's been good and productive but he needs to chill with the offensive pass interference. 2 weeks in a row now? WTF

Unlike last week, we were able to see the Penalty, he was definately guilty this time and cost us the TD with Breida

Both were pretty ticky tack calls.

Agreed. This one I could see because he did adjust his route to chip that guy but the first one definitely was a terrible call. He just cut so fast that the db kept running and it looked like he pushed off. Love this kid though. He's the one you can rely on to catch that 3rd and short in traffic!
Originally posted by 9erred:
As I mentioned at the end of the game 3 thread. 4 positions are of a premium in the nfl.

1. Franchise qb
2. LT
3. shut down cb
4. premier pass rusher

The niners only have 1, and that LT is aging. The team simply cannot be competitive until the other 3 positions are addressed. Period

The Seahawks don't have a LT, pat have Brady but don't really have any of the other three.

You don't have to have all of those to be a good team. It all starts with the QB.
Great recap as always Marvin49. There are a ton of good things happening along with some very frustrating things going on out there. I do think later in the year things will begin to click & work much better.
Originally posted by MTninerfan:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
No mention of Trent Taylor? The kid has fire and toughness. He was like Honey Badger who?

He's been good and productive but he needs to chill with the offensive pass interference. 2 weeks in a row now? WTF

Unlike last week, we were able to see the Penalty, he was definately guilty this time and cost us the TD with Breida

Both were pretty ticky tack calls.

Agreed. This one I could see because he did adjust his route to chip that guy but the first one definitely was a terrible call. He just cut so fast that the db kept running and it looked like he pushed off. Love this kid though. He's the one you can rely on to catch that 3rd and short in traffic!

I can definitely understand a ref calling interference on that "screen" (like in basketball) that wasn't. That play is one that people who have been wondering why Shanahan has had trouble getting the team into scoring TDs should keep in mind. That OPI took away a touchdown. Too often they get deep into the red zone and there's some kind of penalty that nullifies a good play call on Shanahan's part and makes getting into the endzone that much harder. And it's not uncommon for there to be multiple penalties that take them out of the red zone. And the dropped passes on perfect play calls during one of the phases where Hoyer is in a good head-zone for passing. And then there's Hoyer just missing a man open past the first down line even though the o-line actually gave him a decent amount of time. Are these execution problems more the result of Shanahan not getting the team prepared properly or is it more because of young players still learning and the experienced players adjusting to the system? IMHO, it's more the latter. General talent level is lower than average, though, and some of that can be put on Shanahan and Lynch; for example, missing on Zuttah really hurts. (I'd say the general lack of talent is much more on Baalke, though.)
[ Edited by 49erphan on Oct 2, 2017 at 7:08 PM ]
Armstrong might be better suited at middle linebacker in this system given his skill set
Originally posted by 951NINER:
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by 951NINER:
No mention of Trent Taylor? The kid has fire and toughness. He was like Honey Badger who?

He's been good and productive but he needs to chill with the offensive pass interference. 2 weeks in a row now? WTF

Unlike last week, we were able to see the Penalty, he was definately guilty this time and cost us the TD with Breida

Meh... I've seen worse....

It's a tough call since it didn't really effect the play, but it is technically a penalty, especially when Trent makes it so obvious he's running a pick route. I'm not bothered by that call.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 25,454
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Armstrong might be better suited at middle linebacker in this system given his skill set

Agreed. He's terrible in space.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Hoyer: Woah. That was...rough. IMO, that was his worst game as a 49er. The Panthers and Seahawks games were rough as well, but in this game he had guys open and he had some time. He was flat missing guys at a scary rate. I have to temper my disappointment though because we all know he ain't the guy. He's the guy before the guy.

2) DeForest Buckner: WOW. It felt like he was in Palmers face on every other down. 1 sack this year but he's been phenomenal. This year is all about seeing which guys are pieces moving forward. You've got yourself a big piece (figuratively and literally) there in #99.

3) Matt Breida: I gotta say...I've kinda been staying silent on this one, but I just don't see it. Nice story, he runs pretty fast...but I don't get the hubbub. Not really a fan at this point.

4) OT: I have no idea how much time Staley has left, but the Niners are set at Tackle for awhile if he can keep playing this way for 3 or 4 more years. Those are the are huge bedrocks to lean on and Guards can be gotten later in the draft.

5) Thomas: The dude looks lost out there at times and at others he looks superhuman. Once he gets it, look out. No man his size should be that quick, strong or fast...but he is just so damn raw.

6) Armstead: I defend the guy all the time...but man he just isn't a LEO. I like him inside but the problem is they have a bunch of inside rushers already. They need edge rushers and that problem isn't likely to be resolved this season.

7) Ray Ray: I can't stand the guy to be honest but I have to give him a shoutout for having a really good game. Was all over the place and flashed in some big moments. Problem with Ray Ray though has always been Ray Ray. The athleticism is there. It's the gray matter between his ears that sometimes gets him in trouble. On that note...

8) Rashard Robinson: Man. I can't remember the last guy that talked so much with so little performance. Dude has been getting burned all year and he walks around like he's Deion. He's got the measurables for this system, but the dude is just CONSTANTLY making mental errors. Plays hard, but doesn't play smart. The Mantis is getting roasted week in and week out. On the flip side though I'm really liking the Safety play. Reid might be a challenge as a FA as I'm really liking what I see from Tartt.

9) Reuben Foster: Can he come out and play now? So much more fun to watch these games with #56 on the field. I thought about getting his Jersey with 5AVA6E on the back but it won't let you use numbers in the nameplate online. Hmm. Challenge. :D

10) Rebuilding: All I want from these games is for the team to show that the coaches have a clue, there are a few really good pieces to build on, and lose the game. Done, done, and done. Good week long term for the 49ers. I know that comment will frustrate some but I take the long view, not the week to week short term. The more losses that pile up early the more they can afford a late season emergence as some of these guys come around.

21) Frankie G: Had to add one more. Frank Gore might be my favorite 49er ever. Looking forward to watching him play next week and passing Eric Dickerson. Go Frank. :-)

1. That's one of the two reasons why I didn't want him in the draft. Great athlete but not a football player. Maybe he can prove me wrong but he doesn't have the IQ yet.

2. The second bolded is why I didn't want him. I was/am a believer in AA but the 49ers have too many inside guys and not enough outside guys. Maybe they'll trade one of them to get an outside guy. I really wished they would have traded for Chandler Jones last year. Instead, Baalke traded up and got Garnett.

3. O-line. I agree with you. I believe that Staley can go until he's 36. With that said, the hard part is done. Finding two franchise tackles are very rare and the 49ers have that. The easier part, the interior line, can be found in either the 4th round or later in the draft or in free agency. (Which I urge them to do. They need to sign a big time C and G AT THE LEAST) But having two franchise tackles is a blessing. Also, it would be in the 49ers' best interest to use a second round pick on a OT in next year's draft. I don't know what the talent at Tackle will look like, but the incumbent could learn from Staley, or hell, even kick him to the inside, play there for 2-3 years, then kick him on the outside once Staley is done.

I actually agree with 99 percent of your post but I do respect Breida, because as an undrafted free agent, he's doing a good job so far. I didn't expect much and he's producing more than what I have expected from him.
Originally posted by lbc49er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
As I mentioned at the end of the game 3 thread. 4 positions are of a premium in the nfl.

1. Franchise qb
2. LT
3. shut down cb
4. premier pass rusher

The niners only have 1, and that LT is aging. The team simply cannot be competitive until the other 3 positions are addressed. Period

I agree that those positions are very important but I think a team can be competitive with 3 maybe 2 of those.
The 2012 squad had Staley and Aldon.
A premier pass rusher makes the shut down corner less necessary and vice versa.
Still when a team has all four, that's a Super Bowl squad.

I don't think a shut down CB is necessary anymore but it does help.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
1. That's one of the two reasons why I didn't want him in the draft. Great athlete but not a football player. Maybe he can prove me wrong but he doesn't have the IQ yet.

Utterly laughable. You either never watched him or you don't understand football. The guy was the conference's defensive player of the year. That's the very definition of "a football player." One of the most telling things is, if you watch any Stanford game, you can immediately notice an enormous difference whenever they substituted someone for him. All of a sudden #80 or some other guy who is taking his place is getting blown off the line of scrimmage, in comparison to Thomas, who was dominating everyone he faced. PFF graded him #1 in the nation among interior defensive linemen against the run last year, and it wasn't even close. PFF's data is often flawed, but the fact he got that kind of rating says something.

He "looks lost" this year because he never, not even once, played right of the nose tackle in college.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Don't forget Dontae Johnson. He looked almost as worst as Robinson and at one point in the game was probably worse.

Johnson's issue has been the same since he was drafted -- good coverage, but terrible on playing the ball. Way too many catches when he's there. At least he hasn't been getting burned by speed as much or making the amount of horrendous penalties.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by lbc49er:
Originally posted by 9erred:
As I mentioned at the end of the game 3 thread. 4 positions are of a premium in the nfl.

1. Franchise qb
2. LT
3. shut down cb
4. premier pass rusher

The niners only have 1, and that LT is aging. The team simply cannot be competitive until the other 3 positions are addressed. Period

I agree that those positions are very important but I think a team can be competitive with 3 maybe 2 of those.
The 2012 squad had Staley and Aldon.
A premier pass rusher makes the shut down corner less necessary and vice versa.
Still when a team has all four, that's a Super Bowl squad.

I don't think a shut down CB is necessary anymore but it does help.

I would say biggest needs in order are:

1) Franchise QB
2) Premier Pass Rusher
3) Shut down CB
4) Interior OL
5) LT
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone