LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm just going to pretend that after Jeff Garcia was gone, this team just ran the ball 100% of the time up until they traded for Garoppolo.

Ha! It was all a bad dream!!!!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Haha we have a franchise QB and here we are breaking down Kaps game film.

I'm just going to pretend that after Jeff Garcia was gone, this team just ran the ball 100% of the time up until they traded for Garoppolo.

There you go lol

I would actually skip that period too. Let's just pretend we're going from Young to Garopolo.
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Heres a pretty cool video of some film break down of Jimmy vs the bears. Not my video, just thought it was good

[ Edited by THEB on Dec 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM ]
Ok, ok, ok, ok.....we should all probably take a chill pill and get ready for some calming down. I know everyone is all excited about Jimmy and he's so pretty and he throws those spirals and we all would let him do things to us we'd normally only let our plumber do. But, let's all take a step back, calm down a minute. I watched the film and I have to say, I think we need to look at bringing Hoyer back.....

JUST KIDDING!!!!!
After watching this game I'm even more impressed with Jimmy than the Bears game. That was one of the most impressive performances I've seen on film. One of the biggest questions I had for him after this game was how would he respond when the keys were harder to read and his first reads weren't there and/or he wasn't able to easily identify the good matchups. The answer - glowingly well.

I have a feeling this guy is gonna be a lot of fun to watch for a long time. He understood coverages, leverage, his vision was good, that release is amazing and all of it while being clobbered all day by a relentless pass rush. It's crazy when the Texans are getting home at 3.5-4 seconds on a rush and they still get frustrated because it's too late so they start blitzing.

Were there a few bad plays? yeah. But, he's not the player that has the 5 WOW plays all game and 35 meh.... or "why didn't you see that guy get open" or "why didn't you throw the ball a second sooner"?!? He's the guy that has a lot of, "ok, that was really nice, and so was that, and so was that, wow, that was great". Kind of guy. He's a frustrating player for defenses because they can mix it up all day long and it's hard to beat him. Kap was frustrating because teams could call the right plays but then he'd beat them with his legs or a crazy 70mph fastball. Jimmy is frustrating because he exhausts the play. You can't have a good defensive call to stop him, you have to have a perfect defensive call or all your mens have to beat our mens. That's so ideal for a good offensive playcaller and designer in K. Shanahan.

Anyhoo, I'll stop gushing for a few moments and highlight some other things:

Sollly - I thought he was really good in run support. He kind of disappeared in pass rush but that also had to do with his assignments. He got doubled a lot and he also was the contain rusher a lot of times to let DeFo, Dumervil and Marsh loose on the QB. He would purposely attract doubles to give all the other guys 1v1's. Not a bad idea to do with your rook to get your vet pass rushers into good situations. He also took lanes to help his edge rushers out. He also got held a couple times when he had some nice rushes but they weren't called.

Adrian Colbert reminds me sooooo much of Dashon Goldson it's crazy. He wears the same # too, right? 38. He comes down like a missile in run support and has really nice range in the outfield. It's a small sample size, like Jimmy, but so far the future looks bright for the kid.

Earl Mitchell - I know a lot of people have looked at him like he's an easy replacement to get some other guys in but I think that'd be a mistake IMO. He still impresses as our 2nd best lineman and is so fun to watch because he's so solid on the inside. There was one play where he stayed low, stacked his blocker and shed him at the right moment for a tackle, it was ERRRSOME!

Overall, really fun game to watch and I look forward to a lot of breakdowns. I'm gonna try and get as many as I can get done in the next couple hours because I'll be out of town until the afternoon time tomorrow on a business trip and I have some obligations for this evening.

Happy win, y'all!
  • thl408
HOU was throwing a crapload of coverage looks at the 49ers. I tallied Tampa2, Cover1, Cover 2 Man, Cover2 Zone, Cover6, Cover0, and a couple combo coverages, in the first 5 drives of the game. Rushed 3 a couple times. Very obvious HOU wanted to give JG as many different looks as possible. On their blitzes, HOU liked to play soft man behind the blitz and JG just took the easy pitch and catch. I started to tally their coverages on the JG passes and got:
Cover1 Robber: 7
Cover 1 blitz: 5
Tampa2: 5
Quarters: 4
Cover2 Man: 4
Cover2 Zone: 2
Cover0: 4
Cover6: 2

I'm in the middle of watching the 49ers defense after that HOU 3Q drive where Hopkins lit up the defense. There was a very deliberate effort to bracket Hopkins after that. After that TD catch, he wasn't even targeted until the WR screen with 5 minutes left in the 4Q (fumble). Here's one of the plays where the 49ers assigned two defenders to cover Hopkins and there was no disguising anything. Just flat out "we are double teaming you".
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
HOU was throwing a crapload of coverage looks at the 49ers. I tallied Tampa2, Cover1, Cover 2 Man, Cover2 Zone, Cover6, Cover0, and a couple combo coverages, in the first 5 drives of the game. Rushed 3 a couple times. Very obvious HOU wanted to give JG as many different looks as possible. On their blitzes, HOU liked to play soft man behind the blitz and JG just took the easy pitch and catch. I started to tally their coverages on the JG passes and got:
Cover1 Robber: 7
Cover 1 blitz: 5
Tampa2: 5
Quarters: 4
Cover2 Man: 4
Cover2 Zone: 2
Cover0: 4
Cover6: 2

I'm in the middle of watching the 49ers defense after that HOU 3Q drive where Hopkins lit up the defense. There was a very deliberate effort to bracket Hopkins after that. After that TD catch, he wasn't even targeted until the WR screen with 5 minutes left in the 4Q (fumble).

I found that strange too. The just stopped targeting him and stopped looking his way altogether.
This was one of my favorite plays all game. Love how Jimmy works this.

7:46 1st QTR.

Here HOU is trying to prevent the pass on 1st down. They actuallky take their best pass rusher out of pass rush and drop him into coverage for an 8 man coverage.

They show a a quarters coverage pre-snap. This look can be a number of defenses. Cover 2 zone hard flat, soft squat, tampa 2, cover 2 zone carry - where the corners will turn into a quarters coverage if they see a vertical release from the outside receivers, cover 4, cover 6 or man coverage. It's up to Jimmy to make the right read.

We're running an Ohio concept up top. The Ohio is a protection release fade on the outside with a short or quick out from the inside defender. We split Celek out wide up top and reveal zone coverage. The Ohio is a 2 safety beater that aims to put the corner in conflict. We saw CJ run this concept a number of times against NY as they like to run a lot of cover 2.

On the backside we're going to motion Hyde out and run a "drive" concept. It's important to note as I often say it backwards, but the drive is a lo-hi read.

The Ohio is one of Shanny's favorite concepts. He did this against the Seahawks where he split a RB wide and put Julio in the slot. This isolates a WR on a LB in zone. We do something similar here with T. Taylor. If the corner bails with the vertical route you have a LB as the cover man against Taylor who has leverage. That's a win all day long. The corner though it playing a soft squat - one way to defeat this coverage as it allows them to drive on an out route but they also can squeeze the vertical window.

The safety reads the vertical and widens out on it, squeezing the window. The corner reads the Ohio and looks to jump the route. This is a trap defense. They're trying to bait Jimmy into the out route throw. We did this very thing to Matt Schaub years ago and Brock ended up with a pick 6.

You see him red-light the Ohio concept and then he moves on to the drive concept. So, he's now on his 3rd and 4th reads. He first looks low to the drag route from Hyde but you have 2 LB's covering. So, he moves to Goodwin open over the middle because of the vertical stretch. That's his 4th guy in the progression.

That's +13 on first down against 8 man coverage. He was poised, didn't panic, didn't get baited into a bad throw. SOOOOOO nice.

Here you see his eyes working the Ohio.

Working the drive

Me likey Jimmy
Where was watt?
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Where was watt?

He be injured
Would like to know what happened on the interception. It looked like to me that Taylor gave up on the route when I was watching live, but not sure. After looking at it again, I'm thinking Garrapolo just made an errant throw.

Thanks for the analysis
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Dec 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Unbelievable release, he just flicks his wrists and the ball is gone and it's going *fast.* One Webzone Poster said it right, it looks like a Dan Marino throw. Wow. What a gem of a QB.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:

The safety reads the vertical and widens out on it, squeezing the window. The corner reads the Ohio and looks to jump the route. This is a trap defense. They're trying to bait Jimmy into the out route throw. We did this very thing to Matt Schaub years ago and Brock ended up with a pick 6.

You see him red-light the Ohio concept and then he moves on to the drive concept. So, he's now on his 3rd and 4th reads. He first looks low to the drag route from Hyde but you have 2 LB's covering. So, he moves to Goodwin open over the middle because of the vertical stretch. That's his 4th guy in the progression.

This was a very nice read by JG. HOU knows the 49ers like to throw that Ohio when it presents itself against Quarters so that's what they show. But that CB isn't playing Quarters, he's playing the flat and will pass off any vertical from #1 to the safety behind him.

[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 12, 2017 at 12:46 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Here HOU is trying to prevent the pass on 1st down. They actuallky take their best pass rusher out of pass rush and drop him into coverage for an 8 man coverage.

They show a a quarters coverage pre-snap. This look can be a number of defenses. Cover 2 zone hard flat, soft squat, tampa 2, cover 2 zone carry - where the corners will turn into a quarters coverage if they see a vertical release from the outside receivers, cover 4, cover 6 or man coverage. It's up to Jimmy to make the right read.

We're running an Ohio concept up top. The Ohio is a protection release fade on the outside with a short or quick out from the inside defender. We split Celek out wide up top and reveal zone coverage. The Ohio is a 2 safety beater that aims to put the corner in conflict. We saw CJ run this concept a number of times against NY as they like to run a lot of cover 2.

On the backside we're going to motion Hyde out and run a "drive" concept. It's important to note as I often say it backwards, but the drive is a lo-hi read.

The Ohio is one of Shanny's favorite concepts. He did this against the Seahawks where he split a RB wide and put Julio in the slot. This isolates a WR on a LB in zone. We do something similar here with T. Taylor. If the corner bails with the vertical route you have a LB as the cover man against Taylor who has leverage. That's a win all day long. The corner though it playing a soft squat - one way to defeat this coverage as it allows them to drive on an out route but they also can squeeze the vertical window.

That's +13 on first down against 8 man coverage. He was poised, didn't panic, didn't get baited into a bad throw. SOOOOOO nice.

Here you see his eyes working the Ohio.

Working the drive

Me likey Jimmy

omg
  • thl408
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Would like to know what happened on the interception. It looked like to me that Taylor gave up on the route when I was watching live, but not sure. After looking at it again, I'm thinking Garrapolo just made an errant throw.

Thanks for the analysis
Yeah, Kyle confirmed said that there was no miscommunication, just a bad pass.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Thanks for the analysis

yes, this please ^
Share 49ersWebzone