LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They are making millions but they can't install a decent HD camera up high at each endzone side of the stadium

For a decent all 22

I heard doing Bears games at soldier field is awful because they can't get the cameras to do all-22
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by AlexCat49er:
Any thoughts on the criticisms of Jimmy brought up in this article:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-highlights-breakdown-video-all-22-analysis-bears-scouting-report

Specifically, his critiques on JG's handling of the blitz and his movement in the pocket. To me, they seem kind of nit-picky (especially for a QB making his 3rd career start), but I'm curious how others feel.
It's not just nit-picking, it's reaching on several of them. It's a situation where someone will find something to criticize and he'd be nailed regardless. If he stays in a clean pocket and delivers a throw - "He sat in that pocket way too long, he's got to have that mental clock that winds down to get the ball out".

I've never seen such criticism on 2 completed passes, lol.

First of all, the blitz on the first isn't easy to see. It's one of the benefits of Fangio's coverage. What he saw as a "tell" for the blitz is what Fangio shows on nearly every play. So, no, it's not a tell. That's someone who's grabbing plays out of context and saying, "it was easy to see". The problem with the protection wasn't even the guy who blitzed, lol. It was a perfectly executed stunt.
Agreed. I thought the article picked the wrong plays to critique. Before I read the article, I thought it was going to touch on a couple of the red zone chances I felt JG missed on. One was a 3rd down throw to Hyde out in the flat where Fuller popped him good. However, that play is about an incorrect read not pocket presence, which is what the author was getting at.
Of the plays that the author picked out, I think one play was legit to gripe about - the catch by Bourne (illegal touch penalty). Still, JG had hung in the pocket a good amount of time before he decided to bail. At some point that internal clock tells the QB to get moving. Had he hung tough in the pocket, he might have seen Goodwin breaking free, but I can't tell the progressions on that play. And Goodwin was only open because he shoved the safety, who was in good position to defend Goodwin's route, down to the ground. By the time that happened, JG's progression may have moved past Goodwin already.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Yeah it's a high-lo. It's always been interesting how WCO have used it. Here is what it looked like with Walsh
1985 play book

Finding the winning edge book

Walsh had the drive route as primary and when a back corner route was paired with it it was an alert.

1994 Niners

It's interesting that in the 1994 book all the plays that have a drive concept in them also have a HB corner route and it's listed as primary. I kinda think this had some to do with having Watters at HB and wanting to exploit LBer coverage.

2002 Broncos

A lot of Mike Shanahan drive concept plays have the slot/back corner route opposite of the drive. It appears that it becomes a presnap coverage read as it has a 1 attached to both the corner and drive route.
Nitpicking here, but Drive is a Low to High concept. Says so in the play art you posted.
Looking at the drag first in the progression, even versus zone coverage, is done to move the LBs forward, just to open up the TE's In route.

Nitpicking here, but 9 out of 10 experts disagree
Yeah it's a high-lo. It's always been interesting how WCO have used it. Here is what it looked like with Walsh
1985 play book

Finding the winning edge book

Walsh had the drive route as primary and when a back corner route was paired with it it was an alert.

1994 Niners

It's interesting that in the 1994 book all the plays that have a drive concept in them also have a HB corner route and it's listed as primary. I kinda think this had some to do with having Watters at HB and wanting to exploit LBer coverage.

2002 Broncos

A lot of Mike Shanahan drive concept plays have the slot/back corner route opposite of the drive. It appears that it becomes a presnap coverage read as it has a 1 attached to both the corner and drive route.
Nitpicking here, but Drive is a Low to High concept. Says so in the play art you posted.
Looking at the drag first in the progression, even versus zone coverage, is done to move the LBs forward, just to open up the TE's In route.
Ok, nitpicky Nancy!! Lol.

I always refer to any vertical as a hi/lo because saying it backwards just feels weird. It's habit....
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
They are making millions but they can't install a decent HD camera up high at each endzone side of the stadium

For a decent all 22

I heard doing Bears games at soldier field is awful because they can't get the cameras to do all-22

It's beyond awful. The only good angle is the endzone one.
It's beyond awful. The only good angle is the endzone one.

The fans in their stadium suck too. Obnoxious and violent. And thank you for this breakdown as always.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by AlexCat49er:
Any thoughts on the criticisms of Jimmy brought up in this article:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-highlights-breakdown-video-all-22-analysis-bears-scouting-report

Specifically, his critiques on JG's handling of the blitz and his movement in the pocket. To me, they seem kind of nit-picky (especially for a QB making his 3rd career start), but I'm curious how others feel.

Very nit-picky. I reviewed that article and one of the examples seemed to be reaching hard to find something to criticize him about. "And he could have thrown all the way across his body, way downfield and into coverage and he blew it because he ain't ready."

If those examples are the worst that they could come up with then that article leaves me even more psyched about Garoppolo.

I can always appreciate someone doing devils advocate but I agree he's reaching. We have no clue if he can even properly account for protection issues or what not. He may have some legit stuff if Jimmy was in this offense for the whole year. But it's stupid.
  • thl408
Here's the big catch and run on the final drive to set up the winning FG. Also the longest play from scrimmage in the game.

To JG's right is a three level High-Low flood to bust zone.
To JG's left is Double Slants which can work against man coverage and some zone coverages.
vs Cover6 pattern match (I think, it's a coverage Fangio is known for).
Kittles initially lines up outside the numbers and had a LB across from him - man coverage. When Kittles motions into a bunch with Murphy, the CHI players start gesturing to one another to call and audible, or at least to make JG think they are calling an audible.

JG takes the snap and looks to his right. He notices CHI manning up. They are using a pattern match concept I've seen Fangio do a lot of during his 49er days. A pattern match that will defeat most zone busting concepts, which is exactly what the right side is doing.

The way that the boundary safety matches Murphy's route makes me think he's playing Quarters on that side of the field (Cover6). JG then turns his attention to the left side of the field where Taylor has inside positioning (CB has outside leverage). That's a win for Taylor's Slant route.

Just as Taylor starts his break on the slant, JG starts his windup.

Look to the right. Red light that side of the field because no WR will win on that side of the field against this coverage. Progress to the left side for the man busting concept (Double Slants).

+33
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM ]
Some of the things Jimmy did well aren't necessarily going to show up in the stat sheet but impacted the game.

Someone said they'd like to see Jimmy hit some of those deep 30+ throws. One thing Fangio is big on is, stuff the D and don't give up the big pass play. So, there weren't really opportunities for big plays. Here's an example.

we're going to run to run fakes and try and get Goodwin deep down the field. I messed up on my play art here. It's celek that's going to run a hook over the middle and then Juice is gonna just carry out a run fake and sort of leak out into the flat. Chicago plays cover 3 zone.

The first run fake grabs the underneath coverage.

As we carry out the 2nd run fake, notice how all 3 deep defenders locate Goodwin. You think he was on scouting report? LOL.

See how Goodwin is triple covered down the field? That's called taking the top off of the defense. Celek was also doubled. Right here Jimmy is looking for Goodwin, but he doesn't just let it rip in a YOLO throw. He never panics and realizes there must be another option. A lot of QB's would either rip it here or throw it away.

he never panics but calmly moves to his left and hits Juice for 3 yards. While not a big time gain, he kept from making the negative play on the final drive and setup the next play.

I saw some of the best pocket movement/pressure evasion from Jimmy on this play too.

After the fake he moves right to find a good clean pocket and stays patient until the left guard gives up some pressure. You can see Jimmy wait until the defender is about 2 steps away when he quickly turns left and reduces his shoulder to evade the pressure then he rolls left quickly resets and throws to Juice.

I like how he waits for the defender to get close and how he reduces his shoulder. QBs need to time movements correctly to evade pressure. If QBs start moving too soon defenders have time to adjust their angle and make the tackle, if the QB moves too late, well that's obvious. Generally when the defender is about two steps away is the time to move.

You can see that play and movement here at 6:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W10ax6MggM&feature=player_embedded

+33

Random question here thl, or for JD, or the offensive coordinator dude that contributes here now...;

not sure how to word it and ask, but what is the reason for JG having his left foot in front of him before he takes the snap? I think Rodgers and Alex both do that as well. and then when the ball is snapped, his drop back doesn't actually begin until his feet are next to each other and re-sync. like he does that for an extra "push" off before actually starting his drop back? didnt know how to word this. just curious.

if any of that made sense...

Originally posted by defenderDX:
Random question here thl, or for JD, or the offensive coordinator dude that contributes here now...;

not sure how to word it and ask, but what is the reason for JG having his left foot in front of him before he takes the snap? I think Rodgers and Alex both do that as well. and then when the ball is snapped, his drop back doesn't actually begin until his feet are next to each other and re-sync. like he does that for an extra "push" off before actually starting his drop back? didnt know how to word this. just curious.

That's a little bit different than most teach it, but in essence it is what's called a read step. I teach it to my QB's, it was a big Jeff Tedford thing, I don't remember Tom Martinez ever coaching it but I could be wrong there.

The way I teach it is we start with our feet even, or with the plant foot (left foot for right handed QB) slightly staggered, but never past the right heel.

Our first movement is a 6 inch step with the left foot then we get into our drop. Similar with what JG is doing in at least what he's trying to accomplish.

It keeps the QB's shoulders square a split second longer allowing him to see late movement/pressure from the defense, and also doesn't dictate to the defense immediately a half field read in quick game which I like.
I feel like it also gives you a little more momentum to get into the drop and gives you more depth, but that's not as important out of Gun.

So that's basically the idea here, but taught a little bit differently, doesn't look like he's using a rhythmic drop out of gun, you don't see rhythmic drops out of Gun often in the NFL, which I think is weird, but QB fundamentals/mechanics in the NFL is pretty irrelevant.
Originally posted by jgarf08:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

That's a little bit different than most teach it, but in essence it is what's called a read step. I teach it to my QB's, it was a big Jeff Tedford thing, I don't remember Tom Martinez ever coaching it but I could be wrong there.

The way I teach it is we start with our feet even, or with the plant foot (left foot for right handed QB) slightly staggered, but never past the right heel.

Our first movement is a 6 inch step with the left foot then we get into our drop. Similar with what JG is doing in at least what he's trying to accomplish.

It keeps the QB's shoulders square a split second longer allowing him to see late movement/pressure from the defense, and also doesn't dictate to the defense immediately a half field read in quick game which I like.
I feel like it also gives you a little more momentum to get into the drop and gives you more depth, but that's not as important out of Gun.

So that's basically the idea here, but taught a little bit differently, doesn't look like he's using a rhythmic drop out of gun, you don't see rhythmic drops out of Gun often in the NFL, which I think is weird, but QB fundamentals/mechanics in the NFL is pretty irrelevant.
hopefully the ball doesn't get snapped low and to his left
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 8, 2017 at 9:17 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by jgarf08:

Thanks for that answer because I wasn't going to touch that question. Brady and Rodgers do the same thing (left foot in front when in the gun). The bolded is important since a QB in shotgun has to look at the Center's butt to receive the snap instead of keeping his eyes on the field to spot any late presnap movement from the defense (like he would when under center).

I think in the Jimmy G thread there was a sentiment that it seemed like Jimmy G was in the shotgun more than usual. Beathard attempted passes from the gun 65% of the time. So far Jimmy G is at 67%. These numbers are in line with Kyle's offenses the last couple of years (66% in '15 & 61% in '16).

Fwiw, Jimmy G is 12 for 13 undercenter.
Bumped because it's on topic. I wonder how much experience JG has executing playaction when turning his back to the defense.
This right here, is perfect mechanics...

The stance at pre-snap, the footwork, the wind up, the follow through.

Poetry in motion, baby.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
This right here, is perfect mechanics...

The stance at pre-snap, the footwork, the wind up, the follow through.

Poetry in motion, baby.

Looks like JG's first pass of the Bears game lol.
Share 49ersWebzone