LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Would like to know what happened on the interception. It looked like to me that Taylor gave up on the route when I was watching live, but not sure. After looking at it again, I'm thinking Garrapolo just made an errant throw.

Thanks for the analysis
Yeah, Kyle confirmed said that there was no miscommunication, just a bad pass.

so JG sucks.....
Would like to know what happened on the interception. It looked like to me that Taylor gave up on the route when I was watching live, but not sure. After looking at it again, I'm thinking Garrapolo just made an errant throw.

Thanks for the analysis

yeah, it was an all curls IIRC and just threw it off target.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

Thanks for the analysis

so JG sucks.....

9 out of 10 experts agree.
  • thl408
On the drive that got DJ benched he committed two PI's I thought were both earned (legit calls). He gave up a Deep Curl (+9) that was thrown with very good timing, not faulting him too much on that play as he was playing over the top and a Curl thrown with good timing beats that. Here's the TD that got DJ benched.
Inverted Smash vs Cover3.

Hopkins stems inside and this causes DJ to think he should pass off coverage to Colbert. DJ is seen pointing to Colbert signaling the passing off of Hopkins. But Colbert still has to honor purple on the other side of the field.

The red route flashes in front of DJ and this causes DJ to slow down on his bail to his deep 1/3. Hopkins breaks outside to the Corner. The combination of DJ thinking Hopkins should be passed off, and DJ thinking the red route is his to play earns Hopkins the back of the endzone.

TD
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM ]
On the drive that got DJ benched he committed two PI's I thought were both earned (legit calls). He gave up a Deep Curl (+9) that was thrown with very good timing, not faulting him too much on that play as he was playing over the top and a Curl thrown with good timing beats that. Here's the TD that got DJ benched.

Hopkins stems inside and this causes DJ to think he should pass off coverage to Colbert. DJ is seen pointing to Colbert signaling the passing off of Hopkins. But Colbert still has to honor purple on the other side of the field.

The red route flashes in front of DJ and this causes DL to slow down on his bail to his deep 1/3. Hopkins breaks outside to the Corner. The combination of DJ thinking Hopkins should be passed off, and DJ thinking the red route is his to play earns Hopkins the back of the endzone.

TD

Worst part about that play is how well covered everyone except their best player is. lol
So What? We saw Jimmy work some reads whilst having all day in the pocket. What about when he doesn't have all day?

It's important to note that this is 2nd and 8. 2 plays before this on 2nd and 8 we ran a deep route to Juice for a 29 yard gain. Here, HOU learns and says, "we're not giving you a deep route and time on 2nd and 8". So, they're coming with an overload blitz off the left side and playing quarters behind it with 2 underneath defenders. We're running a "bench" concept up top with Celek and Juice and a "dagger" with Bourne and Goodwin to the bottom. Bourne's route also works a double post concept with Celek. So, you have 3 concepts working here for 2 vertical and one horizontal stretch of the defense.

You see the 4 deep defenders. This takes away the 2 deep routes and allows the weakside LB to not worry about the deep route. The problem is, this leaves the flat area open.

Once Jimmy saw the blitz he kept his eyes downfield and saw the safeties stay in 2 deep but not widen. This told him to work the bench concept. He moves over there and sees the hi/lo of Celek and Juice. Celek is covered but Juice is open.

He throws a darn near perfect throw in stride to Juice who's able to turn it upfield for a really nice catch and run of 31.

On his dropback you can see he had an unblocked rusher from the snap. He never panicked, he kept his eyes down the middle of the field to read the coverage.

Calmly works the play with a defender coming straight for him.

Throws a darn near perfect pass whilst under immediate pressure. This is the kind of stuff that drives defenses nuts and makes opposing fans throw things at their TV's.

The red route flashes in front of DJ and this causes DL to slow down on his bail to his deep 1/3. Hopkins breaks outside to the Corner. The combination of DJ thinking Hopkins should be passed off, and DJ thinking the red route is his to play earns Hopkins the back of the endzone.

TD

did DJ forget what Cover 3 is?
  • thl408
The next 6 plays are what the 49ers did to adjust to Hopkins. Some wont' have gifs.
Hopkins is running a Slant-Flat with the slot WR. 49ers will play Cover2 zone. This allows Spoon to jam Hopkins while having a safety behind him and a Curl defender to the inside of Hopkins (Foster).

Spoon gives a 2 hand jam and passes him off. QB is looking to Hopkins. Cover2 zone beats most three step concepts.

RB targeted for +8
I liked your assessment on Solly. He hasnt been jumping out on tape but is still a force on the field. He isnt getting dominated or showing a lack of effort. I think he will make a big leap in 2018.

Adrian Colbert does seem like a Goldson clone...that was perfected. Knows how to hit legally, is faster, and better awareness on coverage. If he learns how to wrap up consistently, he could be a monster for us. Im sure he will reach out to veteran like Lott or Lynch will work with him on his tackling in the offseason
Hey Johnny, who should we credit for keeping Hopkins quiet after DJ was benched. Maybin? Witherspoon? Colbert with the safety help? or Saleh's playcalling? They probably all made a difference but who jumped out?

• thl408
49ers will call a weakside rotation to get Colbert into the Flat on Hopkins' side. Cover3

If Hopkins went vertical, Mabin (26) bailing puts him in a good position to defend any vertical route. Colbert coming downhill and Mabin bailing covers DH(Hopkins) top and bottom.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Hey Johnny, who should we credit for keeping Hopkins quiet after DJ was benched. Maybin? Witherspoon? Colbert with the safety help? or Saleh's playcalling? They probably all made a difference but who jumped out?

what Thl is posting. We doubled his butt the rest of the game, lol. Outside of him the rest of the team had like 180 yards of offense, lol. Make anyone else beat you.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by defenderDX:
did DJ forget what Cover 3 is?

I dunno, for some reason, I think he was looking in the backfield and anticipating run. The Houston play fake slowed him down, and then as thl408 said, he passed him to the safety and got burned doing so.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
You see the 4 deep defenders. This takes away the 2 deep routes and allows the weakside LB to not worry about the deep route. The problem is, this leaves the flat area open.

Once Jimmy saw the blitz he kept his eyes downfield and saw the safeties stay in 2 deep but not widen. This told him to work the bench concept. He moves over there and sees the hi/lo of Celek and Juice. Celek is covered but Juice is open.
Calm in the face of pressure. Beat the blitz with a throw, not with evading. I wonder just how much he had the defense diagnosed presnap. Kyle lining up Hyde, Celek, Juice out wide all game long to give JG some keys.
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

what Thl is posting. We doubled his butt the rest of the game, lol. Outside of him the rest of the team had like 180 yards of offense, lol. Make anyone else beat you.

that worked out beautifully. Good play calling by Saleh and execution by the players. Probably should of changed things up sooner though. But Saleh is young, so he will probably be more prepared next time to realize when his CB will be outmatched
Share 49ersWebzone