LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
could be that too and the bunch formation confused them on who had who in man-coverage. It was one where I had a hard time knowing who was at fault, but was pretty sure someone was, lol. I'd love to be in the meeting room when they went over that play.
The bunch formation and the speed at which they broke the huddle and snapped the ball (not shown in gif). So that quick tempo the Rams used served its purpose. I looked at this play and I'm thrown off too. I usually look at the safeties, and from that play it looks like a MOFClosed coverage. (This is about the Watkins TD catch).
So, to switch it up and talk about another play

Here's a big run that help get us going on our first TD drive.

We're going to come out in "21" personnel.

We're going to run an inside zone play. The key in Shanny's zone run game is that the RB gets one cut. That's it. In a stretch zone it's either stay straight to the outside as the one cut or cut it up. Here, it's the same idea. He gets one cut, either stay straight or cut back outside the strong side guard. He's got to read the defenders and which way they're playing it.

Right before the snap the "ted" moves up into a blitz look. After the snap, Donald takes a swim move inside and Tomlinson lets him and then pushes him that way.

Tomlinson pushes Donald into the fray and it clogs up the entire middle of the field. #26 is now unable to see anything going on in the backfield and has to play a guessing game. Juice gets just enough of the blitzing TED to slow him down.

Fusco gets off his block and gets to the 2nd level. Our guys ended up pushing 4 defenders into the middle of the formation and have opened a HUGE lane for Hyde. You can literally drive a truck through that.

So, to switch it up and talk about another play

Here's a big run that help get us going on our first TD drive.

We're going to come out in "21" personnel.

We're going to run an inside zone play. The key in Shanny's zone run game is that the RB gets one cut. That's it. In a stretch zone it's either stay straight to the outside as the one cut or cut it up. Here, it's the same idea. He gets one cut, either stay straight or cut back outside the strong side guard. He's got to read the defenders and which way they're playing it.

Right before the snap the "ted" moves up into a blitz look. After the snap, Donald takes a swim move inside and Tomlinson lets him and then pushes him that way.

Tomlinson pushes Donald into the fray and it clogs up the entire middle of the field. #26 is now unable to see anything going on in the backfield and has to play a guessing game. Juice gets just enough of the blitzing TED to slow him down.

Fusco gets off his block and gets to the 2nd level. Our guys ended up pushing 4 defenders into the middle of the formation and have opened a HUGE lane for Hyde. You can literally drive a truck through that.

Man, Hyde still with a few too many steps, especially with that big a hole. I still think he could have had huge yardage if he didn't cut back inside after 10 yards. Should have ran off the hip of the receiver blocking the CB at the 30 yard marker. That could have blocked off the CB and the FS.
  • thl408
These stats are through two weeks (CAR, SEA) but it shows how Hyde/OL are doing better with inside zone runs. The play jd cut up above is only going to help solidify the amazing average for inside zone. The YPC for inside zone is skewed due to the 61 yard run vs SEA. Based off the skillset of TBrown, Fusco, and now Tomlinson, I'd say it makes sense that inside zone is having more success than outside zone.
here's another great example of how Shanny made the game a little easier for his QB but it also took good execution and an amazing catch to get this play.

We come out in "21" personnel and split Juice out wide up top(Whaaaaaa, a FB split wide? I thought only HaRoman did this cause they were morons ) What this does is it reveals the coverage. By remaining in base personnel and splitting the FB wide they see a CB is out on him and a safety is on Garcon - this, with the single safety reveals cover 3 zone.

We motion Juice back in to an "I" formation and we're going to run a flood concept off PA. The key will be #23 the safety as we're going to stretch that 1/3 of the field vertically. 3 routes in an area of 2 defenders.

We use PA to suck up the LB's and help clear out some room.

Here's the key frame the safety see's the FB leaking out of the backfield and is now in a no-win situation. He squats down enough and lets Garcon behind him. Once he's gotten behind the defender Hoyer can throw the ball out towards the sideline and there's no way the guy is gonna be able to get to it.

Here's when Hoyer throws the ball with Donald about to crush him. Garcon is behind the defender and you see if Hoyer throws it towards the sideline there's no way the underneath defender can get there.

The throw isn't perfect but considering the pressure he was under, it was good enough and Garcon makes an incredible sideline catch for a big 19 yard gain. Then there's roughing the passer on this play so it's an additional 15 - 34 yards gained on this play.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Man, Hyde still with a few too many steps, especially with that big a hole. I still think he could have had huge yardage if he didn't cut back inside after 10 yards. Should have ran off the hip of the receiver blocking the CB at the 30 yard marker. That could have blocked off the CB and the FS.

yeah, still hard to argue with a 20 yard gain that had about 4 or 5 yards after contact and on a drive where we did score a TD(of course, that was after an offside penalty on a punt).
@jonnydel perfectly diagnosed, vert stretch outside 1/3 vs C3, a lot of peeps refer to this combo as levels... progression is top down, interesting that it is not a full-field combo left half only with Hyde on a check down on the right as #4, I thought Hoyer should have gone to #3 in the flat once the flat defender turned his back and sank... phenomenal catch
  • thl408
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
@jonnydel perfectly diagnosed, vert stretch outside 1/3 vs C3, a lot of peeps refer to this combo as levels... progression is top down, interesting that it is not a full-field combo left half only with Hyde on a check down on the right as #4, I thought Hoyer should have gone to #3 in the flat once the flat defender turned his back and sank... phenomenal catch

That combo is called Sail (post #107). "Levels" is a two route combo like this (red + yellow). Vertical stretch on the Hook defender. Obviously you and I are calling things differently with our different terminology, but "Levels" is a very specific route combo.

Originally posted by thl408:
That combo is called Sail (post #107). "Levels" is a two route combo like this (red + yellow). Vertical stretch on the Hook defender. Obviously you and I are calling things differently with our different terminology, but "Levels" is a very specific route combo.

Walsh's offense Sail with keys

TE routes va coverages on Sail
Originally posted by thl408:

I only refer to it as "sail" when it's a corner route, not a deep out. When it's a squared off route I've always known it as a flood.

I know this is still early, but what I took away from this game is that McVay is to the rams as Harbaugh was to us. What I mean is that both coaches inherited a talented roster and both are able to utilize the given talent. I am very impressed by what Shanny is able to do though. I thought we were done for when we went down two scores but Kyle was able to dial up some big plays and keep us in it until the very end. When we get some more pieces on offense, WATCH OUT.
awesome breakdowns and discussions guys.
I only refer to it as "sail" when it's a corner route, not a deep out. When it's a squared off route I've always known it as a flood.

Yes that is another name I have heard for this combo as well... I am not versed in the plays for the WCO, but I do know that the levels/flood combo has been around since the 60's... The post/dig/drag combo thru the middle column has been around forever as well! Same old stuff for decades but works over and over again...
It would be great if you could post that Carlos Hyde pick play, it was awesome (I'm pretty sure that happened this last game), I thought it was a ticky tack call by the rref...
It would be great if you could post that Carlos Hyde pick play, it was awesome (I'm pretty sure that happened this last game), I thought it was a ticky tack call by the rref...

Share 49ersWebzone