There are 139 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
I'm curious why you're calling this a "poor" performance, other than the two INT's (which I agree weren't terrible throws), what was bad about his performance?
  • AndyB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
On the next drive we open up with a nice gainer. W. Phillips doesn't like being too predictable and likes to mix up what the opposing QB sees from drive to drive.

On this play they show a single high safety. But, their alignment gives away the play. We motion Hyde out of the backfield and the corner follows out, revealing zone coverage. However, the OLB shows coverage over Kittle but that doesn't make sense. There's no way the OLB is in coverage with the LB as well on that side. That puts 3 defenders on 2 receivers on that side with 3 receivers vs 2 defenders on the other. That's not the way these plays are drawn up. The only way that happens is if LA goes 8 man-coverage. The OLB on the 2 receiver side starts creeping up too soon and gives away his blitz.

The LB over the middle messes up. He thinks he's covering the middle of the field but I think that was supposed to be the OLB's area, that and JG, seeing the blitz looks left first to move the defense. Kittle also dials down and knows he's the hot receiver so he immediately turns to look for the pass.

Jimmy, after looking off the defense hits Kittle.

Great ball placement.

As a longtime fan living outside of America I really appreciate these analysis of plays.
Thanks jonny
Originally posted by Furlow:
I'm curious why you're calling this a "poor" performance, other than the two INT's (which I agree weren't terrible throws), what was bad about his performance?

Throwing 2 picks against a team playing almost all backups isn't enough for it to be considered a poor performance? He also missed badly on a few passes and threw one into the dirt. I don't personally think it was a poor performance since we still put up 30+ pts and 450+ yards of offense, but I can see why people would say it wasn't his best.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JFG49ers:

Throwing 2 picks against a team playing almost all backups isn't enough for it to be considered a poor performance? He also missed badly on a few passes and threw one into the dirt. I don't personally think it was a poor performance since we still put up 30+ pts and 450+ yards of offense, but I can see why people would say it wasn't his best.

It wasn't "almost all backups," and the INT's were explained. But okay. Lol
Originally posted by FL9er:
This was the 49ers only win against the NFCW and it was against LAR's 2nd and 3rd teamers, so they still have work to do to close the gap in the division; although certain teams may be moving back to the pack (AZ & SEA).
There was no issues hanging with them in the first meeting, and that was with Hoyer

No need to makes excuses for him. People are way too quick to be defensive. It's not impossible for Jimmy to have a relatively "bad" game. Apart from the picks he had a few bad missed throws. Particularly the deep ones.

Just because he has a "bad" game, and I emphasize the "" marks here, doesn't mean he's a bad QB.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I just hope that the team doesn't start drinking the Kool-Aid. They gotta keep their noses to the grindstone.

+1 Wish the whole team and coaching staff stay hungry to improve. We want to be Contenders not Pretenders!
Cutting Aaron Lynch will be a huge step in the right direction!

We wont have to worry about him any longer. He is a Free Agent and wont be re-signed back. Shanahan and Lynch are all about prove you wanna be here or else, Bye Felicia!!
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

No need to makes excuses for him. People are way too quick to be defensive. It's not impossible for Jimmy to have a relatively "bad" game. Apart from the picks he had a few bad missed throws. Particularly the deep ones.

Just because he has a "bad" game, and I emphasize the "" marks here, doesn't mean he's a bad QB.

I was meaning, if this is his floor, that's great. It was poor in the sense that he wasn't as sharp as the other games. Missed some throws he was spot in before. He's good enough to where the plays he misses stand out instead if his positive plays standing out.
Originally posted by FL9er:
This was the 49ers only win against the NFCW and it was against LAR's 2nd and 3rd teamers, so they still have work to do to close the gap in the division; although certain teams may be moving back to the pack (AZ & SEA).

For what is worth.... They only say 3 players I believe..
  • thl408
jd, if you get a chance, can you show the big hit by Colbert at the end of the half? I'd like to see his reaction and angle. Apparently Gamepass doesn't work out of country. No worries if it's not on the list. I can check it out once I get home. Man that was a big hit.

Originally posted by thl408:
jd, if you get a chance, can you show the big hit by Colbert at the end of the half? I'd like to see his reaction and angle. Apparently Gamepass doesn't work out of country. No worries if it's not on the list. I can check it out once I get home. Man that was a big hit.

I still want to know how it was ruled a catch.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:

I still want to know how it was ruled a catch.
Sure, I was planning in hitting the thread hard tomorrow. On that okay, Witherspoon was a smh play. It's like 20 seconds left in the half and he bites on a lazy double move.
I wanted to touch on the 2 INT's as I'm sure a lot of people are wondering what went wrong.

Here's the first:

We're going to run a number of concepts here. We have a dagger+mesh+2 trail concepts. The dagger is a clearing vertical down the seam with a DIG behind it. The wheel route from the TE behind the DIG creates a trail concept. The outlet from the RB also creates a trail and mesh with the wheel and DIG routes. A lot going on here. We line Bourne up in the slot with Goodwin outside and LA has both corners over on that side, revealing man-coverage. The 2 safeties are showing either a 2 deep or "robber" defense.

We run play action first and the backside safety bites hard, other than that it's cover 2-man.

When Jimmy turns around he checks the safety and sees the 2 deep look and inside leverage on the post route. This means the DIG would be your second read. Goodwin has good initial position.

You see the backside safety has realized the error of his ways and is trying to recover. There might be a window to throw to Bourne over the top but that's a risky throw. YOu can see how the dagger is meant to clear out the intermediate middle for the DIG though. Jimmy is in his throwing motion right now before Goodwin breaks. Normally, that's something you really want to see from your QB, anticipation. He saw Goodwin had inside leverage with no safety available to drive on the throw. This should be a win.

The corner does an excellent job of staying in the receivers hip pocket and anticipating the route. He undercuts the route really nicely.

IMO that's one where you chalk it up to a nice play by the defender. Goodwin could've ran his route flatter and coming back to the QB. That's the biggest error to me, if you look Goodwin rounds of his route from the 45-40 and Jimmy throws it as if he's going to be at the 42 or so. That would've help prevent the defender from undercutting the route. I don't fault Jimmy here.
in case we needed any more proof Colbert is our FS of the future. Check out this break on the ball and closing speed. He's on the far hash and it's unbelievable this was ruled a catch. There's no precedent in recent years for this being ruled a catch.

AW stumbles turning his hips. A no no with 9 seconds left in the half......

• thl408
Wow that was a straight path to the point of contact. How the heck this guy fall to round 7?
Share 49erswebzone