LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jonny, since you mentioned footwork, there was one play where Jimmy was in a quandary about what to do. What does he do with guys closing in on him? He does the Louisville shuffle or something like that, which had the effect of allowing him mobility to instantaneously keep his still covered targets open. A second later, somebody came open and zing, completion. I hadn't noted that before, and not much since, really, but that one play was an eye opener. Also that little "shuffle" i think froze the guys streaking towards him, and maybe made them for a second rethink their routes or...IDK. Whatever, it was a remarkable play that gave him just a hair of one more second which he very definitely took advantage of. Sorry i can't recall the qtr, but i. i didn't see it before...or after that.

Overall, however, his footwork is textbook, just like his passes, his reads, and everything else he does. Like the TD pass to Kittle, he looks like he is playing QB perfectly. Still cannot believe we got him. Thanks to Denise for getting Kyle, kyle and Denise for getting lynch, lynch for talking JG with BB, and BB forced to finally move him prior to end of trading deadline...and lynch again for not hesitating on the phone after a brief chat with Kyle...and saying yesssss. At least that's what i think went down.

happy new year and thanks again for all your tutorials. They have been terrific and there is nothing else like them online. We all thank you for your time and knowledge and your willingness to share them.
Yes sir. You too JD. It is so refreshing to see QBing like this. I was one to think Kap would pan out but knew his limitations were great and with Jimmy G. man Jimmy muth........G The man makes watching this team exciting again.The man is surgical and has all the intangibles. I'm not sure how long you been breaking down the film but when is the last time you've seen our QB dot up a defense like that... Just awesome. GO NINERS!
He makes his own passing windows (e.g. Bourne slant on 3rd and 4)
I was a little worried when the 49ers unleashed one of the most destuctive forces the world has ever seen.

Garbage Time Blake Bortles.

Dude's QB rating when Jacksonville is losing by 20 or more was like 140 at one point.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
I just drool over the placement of that Slant that I thought for sure was a pick 6 going the other way. How he squeezed that ball in between the corner and I believe an underneath LBer was ridiculous.
I know the play you are taking about. I have the same thoughts. How he squeezed that ball was incredible. Precise timing, possibly looking off the LB, and incredible ball placement - all in one play. This guys a genius. I'm not anointing him as a GOAT yet, but I remember an out route to Dwight in a playoff game and that particular Quarterback squeezed the ball to him between Everson Walls and the Dallas ROLB. I thought Everson caught the interception, but the ref says *first down!* I was flabber-boggled.
The first throw of the game set the tone for how Jimmy was gonna handle himself against JAX.

It's 2nd and 12 following a 2 yard loss on a run by Hyde. Here, we're going to run a few concepts, we have an Ohio concept to the bottom and a levels concept in the middle with a trail concept created up top.
JAX is going to run a cover 1 man "lurk" or "hole" where it's man-coverage across the board with 2 middle zone defenders.

At the snap he double checks that it's not a blitz and see's the lurk defender playing the levels concept. Goodwin does a nice job here fighting for outside leverage.

Beadles is beat almost immediately and Jimmy slides just a little to his left and starts his throwing motion just before Goodwin enters his break. This is Goody's first step in his break and Jimmy is half way through his throwing motion.

He puts the ball in the perfect spot leading Goodwin back just a little bit away from the defender to set up 3rd and 2. He did this while being pressured to his left, unable to set his feet and he got plastered after he threw it.

remind you of anyone? Maybe dat guy Rodgers in Wisconsin?
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Yes sir. You too JD. It is so refreshing to see QBing like this. I was one to think Kap would pan out but knew his limitations were great and with Jimmy G. man Jimmy muth........G The man makes watching this team exciting again.The man is surgical and has all the intangibles. I'm not sure how long you been breaking down the film but when is the last time you've seen our QB dot up a defense like that... Just awesome. GO NINERS!

The NFL started to allow coaches film to fans in 2011...... not any 49er for sure. The only guy I've seen this kind of play from was A. Rodgers.
Garopollo is the type of QB that pisses off opposing fans. You think the pass rusher gets there in time and NOPE! He gets the ball out for a first down.

This is going to be the greatest and most excruciating offseason ever. The thought of this guy with full command of the playbook is pure sex.
Jimmy making everything look easy. Well in control under pressure. Still accurate on the throw. Our 3rd down conversion percentage seemed to benefit from that. How many times in recent years where 3rd & 12 in that area of the field would be a punt in the making.

Thanks jonnyD
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Garopollo is the type of QB that pisses off opposing fans. You think the pass rusher gets there in time and NOPE! He gets the ball out for a first down.

This is going to be the greatest and most excruciating offseason ever. The thought of this guy with full command of the playbook is pure sex.

Excruciating is right. My boner will last the next 8 months

How he gets that ball out accurately while being hit like that is beyond me. He must be using a cheat code.
Here's the very next throw and the first 3rd down of the game, 3rd and 2.

JAX just saw him beat their man-coverage so on 3rd and short they are going to try and take away any underneath horizontal stretch. We're going to run a "PIN+Sucker" concept hi/lo. The Pin is a Post+in route, hence, "PIN". The Sucker is a short curl with a DIG route behind it. The idea is to suck the defender up and create a void behind them - this is the same concept as "The catch III". Here, we combine the 2 concepts and throw in a curl from Juice to create a triangle stretch of the defense. You get the horizontal and vertical stretching of the zones.

By putting bourne in the slot with "12" personnel(1 back, 2 TE's) and the corner staying to the 2 TE side it reveals zone coverage. Pair this with the 2 safeties and you have a cover 2 zone. What cover 2 is it though? Yet to be seen and this is what Jimmy has to read post-snap. Tampa 2 or regular 2?

Post snap, Jimmy looks toward Bourne, he wants to see how the defense plays this vertical release. In Tampa 2 the MIKE will identify this route and run deep with it, in a squatting 2 zone he won't, also, he's looking through to the safety to see if he widens, if he widens it's tampa 2 as well, he doesn't. He see's the hook/curl defender drop slightly with him and take it away quick so he knows it's going to be cover 2 zone.

Here you see the concept work. Kittles has leverage on the safety and Juice's route occupies both the flat and hook/curl defender. The MIKE jumps on Celek's route and it leaves Kittle with an open area.

The throw is a little high but it has to be. You have to put zip on it or the safety will close on it too quick and you have to get it over the underneath defenders. Tough throw and catch but we get it.

This is what you love about Jimmy. From his angle there's no throwing window. But, he trusts the concept and the read and I love that he's throwing with anticipation I LOVE this man....there, I said it....
Originally posted by NinerGM:
And should be a rare exception. I don't look at this with appreciation at all. The team MUST do something about the OL this off-season.
You're right. That same type of hit caused an interception in the red zone. I want to see a cut up of that play next. Kyle looked dejected on the sideline after that like he knew it was a TD. I want to see if it really was.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

How he gets that ball out accurately while being hit like that is beyond me. He must be using a cheat code.

And should be a rare exception. I don't look at this with appreciation at all. The team MUST do something about the OL this off-season.

Remember, that's a 3rd string tackle(who's actually a guard) playing in that spot. We were down Brown, then lost our backup and our other backup, so 4th string, really against the league leader in sacks. You can't always keep your QB clean and your QB has to be able to make plays like this. That's what separates QB's in this league.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
You're right. That same type of hit caused an interception in the red zone. I want to see a cut up of that play next. Kyle looked dejected on the sideline after that like he knew it was a TD. I want to see if it really was.
It was the right concept. Unfortunately, I can't see for sure what happened in the pocket because the goal post was right in the way so you can't see if Campbell hits his arm or not. Jimmy said the ball was a little late and it was. His words were, "I owe Zane one on that". It was a "smash" concept with Bourne open in the corner of the endzone.
Share 49ersWebzone