There are 100 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
"We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!"

What a better Christmas Eve present could we have had than dropping a 40 burger on the best defense in the NFL????

It was one thing when we knocked in 5 FG's vs a middling defense in CHI. It was another thing when we laid a whipping on a nose-diving team in HOU that also had one of the meanest, baddest pass rushers in Clowney. It was another thing when we had a last minute game-winning drive against a solid team fighting for their playoff lives. It's now another thing to lead 5 TD drives and a FG against the best defense in the league.

I loved the game-plan by Kyle Shanahan and thought the team as a whole played really well(save for that onside kick deal). Though, that onside kick was a beauty. The game wasn't as close as the score suggested. While it was disappointing to see us lose an 18 point lead down to 4 I couldn't put a ton of blame on the team. Foster was being held out for caution(because who thinks the other team has a chance down by 3 scores with 6 min to go in the game?). JAX had just committed a turnover and then proceeded to march down the field on a 16 play(IIRC) TD drive that ate up just about 4 min and included two 3rd down conversions and a 4th down conversion. After the ensuing onside kick recovery the defense was gassed. They'd just been on the field for a 16 play drive and then JAX put up another TD super fast.

What really popped out on the film was JAX's defense. Sometimes you see great players make good defenses look bad. In this case, a great defense made a really good looking QB look even better. They made him look better because they looked so good. They have a ton of team speed and can get after the QB with just 4 guys rushing the passer. Their secondary also has some really smart and good football players that understand their defense and identify what's attacking them quickly. This makes it really tough to complete anything beyond 5 yards on them. On top of that, they swarm to the ball really well. They have a really disruptive front in the run game and they were able to stymie a number of runs. Not sure who he is, but #95(Jones) for them was a huge factor in the run game. Kilgore and Tomlinsen couldn't handle him in the run game. There were a number of Hyde's runs that had no chance because of #95.

That defense is really, really good. That what makes what Jimmy did so impressive. It's one thing when a guy comes in and can laser throws into tight windows on his 1st or 2nd read when he's known the offense for a while. It's one thing when a guy comes in a plays backyard football and makes some impressive throws or plays. It's another thing completely when a guy comes in and executes through the entire play in a system he's only been in for 6 or 7 weeks. What I really like about Jimmy is his ability to red light his reads quickly and accurately. He has an ability to see what he needs to see in a really fast way to red light routes and move through his progressions. If we're comparing to other QB's A. Smith was able to red light routes quickly but too quickly in a lot of ways. He'd see single safety with a cushion and would redlight the streak as the number 1 read immediately(just an example) or he'd redlight 1 and 2 and look for the checkdown right away.

Jimmy has an ability to move through those first 2 or 3 in the progression really fast and still be able to find his 4th in rhythm and with accuracy.

The TD throw to Kittle was VERY impressive to me. It was a staple WCO play that's been around for decades but it was executed so well. It was a common double slant/flat concept(think of the play where we had PI called against Garcon early in the year) and JAX didn't reveal their coverage pre-snap. Post snap they went to a cover 3 but were flat footing the routes so that they were looking to jump anything like a slant, in, drag or quick out. Pre-snap the middle of the field looked taken away with 3 defenders there. Post snap, the FS turned his back to drop into a deep middle to take away anything in an intermediate zone in the end-zone. This opened up the soft spot underneath in a cover 3 zone for a split second. Jimmy took the snap, looked to his left at the slant/flat(1 and 2 in the progression) saw the flat footed defenders and then moved quickly to Kittle and was able to deliver a ball between 2 closing defenders. It was a thing of beauty and just how coaches draw something like that up.

So many times he makes plays look just how they are supposed to from the playbook. Yet, he still has the ability to make off-schedule plays.

It's hard not to feel like we're all getting to high on the kid, but his play makes it really, really hard not to. It's not just an exciting player, it's seeing textbook QBing with elite level arm talent, mechanics, and execution.

With all that, cheers and may you all have a happy new year! Here's to the next 9 months of talking about Jimmy and the off-season changes looking forward to playoff relevance again!!
I just drool over the placement of that Slant that I thought for sure was a pick 6 going the other way. How he squeezed that ball in between the corner and I believe an underneath LBer was ridiculous.
Jonny, since you mentioned footwork, there was one play where Jimmy was in a quandary about what to do. What does he do with guys closing in on him? He does the Louisville shuffle or something like that, which had the effect of allowing him mobility to instantaneously keep his still covered targets open. A second later, somebody came open and zing, completion. I hadn't noted that before, and not much since, really, but that one play was an eye opener. Also that little "shuffle" i think froze the guys streaking towards him, and maybe made them for a second rethink their routes or...IDK. Whatever, it was a remarkable play that gave him just a hair of one more second which he very definitely took advantage of. Sorry i can't recall the qtr, but i. i didn't see it before...or after that.

Overall, however, his footwork is textbook, just like his passes, his reads, and everything else he does. Like the TD pass to Kittle, he looks like he is playing QB perfectly. Still cannot believe we got him. Thanks to Denise for getting Kyle, kyle and Denise for getting lynch, lynch for talking JG with BB, and BB forced to finally move him prior to end of trading deadline...and lynch again for not hesitating on the phone after a brief chat with Kyle...and saying yesssss. At least that's what i think went down.

happy new year and thanks again for all your tutorials. They have been terrific and there is nothing else like them online. We all thank you for your time and knowledge and your willingness to share them.
Yes sir. You too JD. It is so refreshing to see QBing like this. I was one to think Kap would pan out but knew his limitations were great and with Jimmy G. man Jimmy muth........G The man makes watching this team exciting again.The man is surgical and has all the intangibles. I'm not sure how long you been breaking down the film but when is the last time you've seen our QB dot up a defense like that... Just awesome. GO NINERS!
He makes his own passing windows (e.g. Bourne slant on 3rd and 4)
I was a little worried when the 49ers unleashed one of the most destuctive forces the world has ever seen.

Garbage Time Blake Bortles.

Dude's QB rating when Jacksonville is losing by 20 or more was like 140 at one point.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
I just drool over the placement of that Slant that I thought for sure was a pick 6 going the other way. How he squeezed that ball in between the corner and I believe an underneath LBer was ridiculous.
I know the play you are taking about. I have the same thoughts. How he squeezed that ball was incredible. Precise timing, possibly looking off the LB, and incredible ball placement - all in one play. This guys a genius. I'm not anointing him as a GOAT yet, but I remember an out route to Dwight in a playoff game and that particular Quarterback squeezed the ball to him between Everson Walls and the Dallas ROLB. I thought Everson caught the interception, but the ref says *first down!* I was flabber-boggled.
The first throw of the game set the tone for how Jimmy was gonna handle himself against JAX.

It's 2nd and 12 following a 2 yard loss on a run by Hyde. Here, we're going to run a few concepts, we have an Ohio concept to the bottom and a levels concept in the middle with a trail concept created up top.
JAX is going to run a cover 1 man "lurk" or "hole" where it's man-coverage across the board with 2 middle zone defenders.

At the snap he double checks that it's not a blitz and see's the lurk defender playing the levels concept. Goodwin does a nice job here fighting for outside leverage.

Beadles is beat almost immediately and Jimmy slides just a little to his left and starts his throwing motion just before Goodwin enters his break. This is Goody's first step in his break and Jimmy is half way through his throwing motion.

He puts the ball in the perfect spot leading Goodwin back just a little bit away from the defender to set up 3rd and 2. He did this while being pressured to his left, unable to set his feet and he got plastered after he threw it.

remind you of anyone? Maybe dat guy Rodgers in Wisconsin?
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Yes sir. You too JD. It is so refreshing to see QBing like this. I was one to think Kap would pan out but knew his limitations were great and with Jimmy G. man Jimmy muth........G The man makes watching this team exciting again.The man is surgical and has all the intangibles. I'm not sure how long you been breaking down the film but when is the last time you've seen our QB dot up a defense like that... Just awesome. GO NINERS!

The NFL started to allow coaches film to fans in 2011...... not any 49er for sure. The only guy I've seen this kind of play from was A. Rodgers.

Garopollo is the type of QB that pisses off opposing fans. You think the pass rusher gets there in time and NOPE! He gets the ball out for a first down.

This is going to be the greatest and most excruciating offseason ever. The thought of this guy with full command of the playbook is pure sex.
Jimmy making everything look easy. Well in control under pressure. Still accurate on the throw. Our 3rd down conversion percentage seemed to benefit from that. How many times in recent years where 3rd & 12 in that area of the field would be a punt in the making.

Thanks jonnyD
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Garopollo is the type of QB that pisses off opposing fans. You think the pass rusher gets there in time and NOPE! He gets the ball out for a first down.

This is going to be the greatest and most excruciating offseason ever. The thought of this guy with full command of the playbook is pure sex.

Excruciating is right. My boner will last the next 8 months

How he gets that ball out accurately while being hit like that is beyond me. He must be using a cheat code.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

How he gets that ball out accurately while being hit like that is beyond me. He must be using a cheat code.

And should be a rare exception. I don't look at this with appreciation at all. The team MUST do something about the OL this off-season.
Share 49erswebzone