There are 157 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by 420Sports:
First of all a big thank you to you guys. This thread is by far the best in the whole zone. Although it's still tough for me to follow all the terminology haha.
Anyways, everybody is saying that JG is going to get killed by the jags D. But it seems to be that he can handle different schemes as well as pressure. All these free rushers and he still almost always finds a target for a gain.
So what is you guys take on how he will handle next Sunday's game?
A lot of the terminology used in the film threads are mentioned in the thread linked below. From there you can find more detailed info on the web, but the thread provides a good baseline.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182144-all22-analysis-coverages-amp-concepts/

TEN was able to apply pressure with lots of different and creative blitzes. JG said postgame that he likes it when teams blitz because he gets a clearer picture of the coverage. JAC does not blitz often because they can apply pressure with a 4 man rush. On top of that, their CBs are arguably the best active tandem in the league. It'll be a challenge for sure.
Originally posted by thl408:
After scoring a TD to end the half. TEN takes the opening kickoff in the 2nd half and marches down the field into the red zone. 49ers defense is on its heels. TEN dials up a similar concept to the play above. DJ is the flat defender and will be the key read for Mariotta.
vs Tampa2

MM takes a look and there's something about it that he doesn't like. The difference between this play and the previous cutup is that this play starts on the 13 yard line - the area is much more condensed so the yellow Corner route can't get far upfield in order to stretch the flat defender.

MM bails out of the pocket and is pressured by Elvis.

With no one open, MM throws it away. 49ers force a FG.

Foster got lucky here. He totally over committed and vacated a large part of his responsibility. Lucky MM didn't hit the right side sort of post route.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Any idea what cause the blown coverages from Tenn. Seemed odd a LeBeau defense crapping out this late in the season. Or was it something that Kyle had setup by playcall throughout the game...

Well, the long Celek pass was a combination of a good play call, motion that confused the defense, and the defense ready to intercept the flat and Celeck snuck in behind that aggressive DB.

In general though, after reading a lot of JOhnnyDels, 816, and THL's cut ups and gifs, and a lot of other's insights, the big factor is the varied formations, and motions. Some of these formations just forces a DB out of his assignment, other formations just look like another play, but they run a different play from the same formation. Lots of slight of hand tricks, basically. If Kyle was a magician, he'd be playing in Las Vegas.

Personally, I love offenses that use a ton of different formations with shifts/motion. That's part of the reason why I really didn't enjoy Chip Kelly's offense. He'd use the same 4-5 formations over and over again. To my recollection there was little use of motion/shift or any motion that was used instantly signaled what play was coming. This works well at speed at the college level but just doesn't cut it in the nfl.

It just fun and feels like the old times watching Kyle's offense.

I agree, and with a QB like Jimmy that can read defenses so fast, a lot of the concepts that Kyle likes will work more than not. Most important concept that I like about Kyle's offense is that it's pass first vs Harbaugh run first offense. Second thing I like about his offense is that the run directly supports the pass. There are a lot of other things I like about his offense but these I think are critical. Harbaugh's offense can dominate college but not the pros, since everybody in the Pro's are evenly talented. So right from the git-go Harbaugh put himself at a disadvantage. A talented runner like Kaep works in the kind off run dominated offense that Harbaugh likes but the problem is that to win in the pro's specially in the playoffs, you have to pass.

Finally, the most important think *is* the QB. I can see Harbaugh's run offense work in an air Coryell setting, but you still need an accurate passer in that kind of offense. Kaep was taking too long to develop and Baalke wasn't getting him the speed an Air Coryell offense needs for it to work. Confidence is a fragile thing, and once Colin lost his speed receivers, his confidence tanked, and his play deteriorated. Kyle got a confident QB, and I think Kyle is the kind of head coach that will keep Jimmy's New England Patriot fundamentals sharp, because he'll need it in this kind of offense. Kyle will know what kind of receivers Jimmy needs and will like in this offense. Kyle and Jimmy need each other and that's why I'm so confident that they'll get a deal done to keep Jimmy. Personally, I think Don Yee and John Lynch have already mapped out 95% of the franchise agreement, the last 5% is where Kyle and Jimmy have to sign, but they are too busy game planning for the Jags and Rams to worry about that right now.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Harbaugh did a lot of this though. So many different personnel groupings or plays 'dressed' as what looked like a read option play. loved his dynamic and creative running game

He wasn't afraid to come out of a jumbo package with no WR set too.
  • thl408
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Anything on the defensive side?? That "Big Stick" by Foster on Murry.
49ers nickel front. RG will pull and trap block Buckner.

Foster at 5 yards depth

Foster reacts to the play so well and is a step ahead of the others. His first step is to his left and I think this throws off the path the LT takes. LT takes a path a bit too much straight up field.

That little false step by the LT prevents him from being able to make enough contact with Foster.

Froster put him on skates.
  • thl408
SF 22 - TEN 20. 1:20 left TEN in field goal range. 3rd & 2. The defensive play of the game.
Nickel front. LG will trap block Buckner.

Buckner isn't fooled this time and does not get upfield. Compare this play to the Foster hit where Buck got about 2 yards upfield. Not getting too far upfield allows Buck to hit the upfield shoulder of the LG.

Taking that pulling guard's upfield shoulder stops him in his tracks.

Forces the FG and leaves too much time for Jimmy.
Originally posted by 420Sports:
First of all a big thank you to you guys. This thread is by far the best in the whole zone. Although it's still tough for me to follow all the terminology haha.
Anyways, everybody is saying that JG is going to get killed by the jags D. But it seems to be that he can handle different schemes as well as pressure. All these free rushers and he still almost always finds a target for a gain.
So what is you guys take on how he will handle next Sunday's game?
A lot of the terminology used in the film threads are mentioned in the thread linked below. From there you can find more detailed info on the web, but the thread provides a good baseline.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182144-all22-analysis-coverages-amp-concepts/

TEN was able to apply pressure with lots of different and creative blitzes. JG said postgame that he likes it when teams blitz because he gets a clearer picture of the coverage. JAC does not blitz often because they can apply pressure with a 4 man rush. On top of that, their CBs are arguably the best active tandem in the league. It'll be a challenge for sure.

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread. I can't wait until Wednesday to read the analysis and breakdown of the plays.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Anything on the defensive side?? That "Big Stick" by Foster on Murry.
49ers nickel front. RG will pull and trap block Buckner.

Foster at 5 yards depth

Foster reacts to the play so well and is a step ahead of the others. His first step is to his left and I think this throws off the path the LT takes. LT takes a path a bit too much straight up field.

That little false step by the LT prevents him from being able to make enough contact with Foster.

Froster put him on skates.

why are they playing Reid ad LB again
  • thl408
Originally posted by defenderDX:
why are they playing Reid ad LB again
It's nickel personnel and Reid is just lined up over the TE. Probably because he would man cover the TE if it was a pass play.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I would love to see jonnydel and thl408 break down Saleh's calls vs hurry-up offense/last 2 min of the half(s). I would love to get you chaps' perspective on why it seems that offensive players are running wide open and why it's so soft in coverage.

What I have seen explained here before, is that we play a 'bend but don't break' defense in those situations. Keep everything in front of you and don't give up any deep balls. Make them use as much clock as possible and don't allow chunk plays. I don't think the play calling is bad, but the execution is lacking (i.e. guys not getting to the ball fast enough, or missing tackles when they do get there). That should be cleaned up with better personnel, more experience, etc.

Originally posted by a49erfan77:
I would love to see jonnydel and thl408 break down Saleh's calls vs hurry-up offense/last 2 min of the half(s). I would love to get you chaps' perspective on why it seems that offensive players are running wide open and why it's so soft in coverage.

What I have seen explained here before, is that we play a 'bend but don't break' defense in those situations. Keep everything in front of you and don't give up any deep balls. Make them use as much clock as possible and don't allow chunk plays. I don't think the play calling is bad, but the execution is lacking (i.e. guys not getting to the ball fast enough, or missing tackles when they do get there). That should be cleaned up with better personnel, more experience, etc.

That and I think the hurry up kills us...no time to substitute and might be getting out schemed there...goes to two deep S's and there is a ton of room underneath. They scored 14 points in :27 seconds according to that broadcast so it's clearly not chewing up clock either.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

That and I think the hurry up kills us...no time to substitute and might be getting out schemed there...goes to two deep S's and there is a ton of room underneath. They scored 14 points in :27 seconds according to that broadcast so it's clearly not chewing up clock either.

Well they didn't have far to go for the 2nd score, thanks to the onside kick. Speaking of which, why is Hyde fielding that? Should be someone who is used to catching a ball, not having it handed to them.
  • thl408
"We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!"

What a better Christmas Eve present could we have had than dropping a 40 burger on the best defense in the NFL????

It was one thing when we knocked in 5 FG's vs a middling defense in CHI. It was another thing when we laid a whipping on a nose-diving team in HOU that also had one of the meanest, baddest pass rushers in Clowney. It was another thing when we had a last minute game-winning drive against a solid team fighting for their playoff lives. It's now another thing to lead 5 TD drives and a FG against the best defense in the league.

I loved the game-plan by Kyle Shanahan and thought the team as a whole played really well(save for that onside kick deal). Though, that onside kick was a beauty. The game wasn't as close as the score suggested. While it was disappointing to see us lose an 18 point lead down to 4 I couldn't put a ton of blame on the team. Foster was being held out for caution(because who thinks the other team has a chance down by 3 scores with 6 min to go in the game?). JAX had just committed a turnover and then proceeded to march down the field on a 16 play(IIRC) TD drive that ate up just about 4 min and included two 3rd down conversions and a 4th down conversion. After the ensuing onside kick recovery the defense was gassed. They'd just been on the field for a 16 play drive and then JAX put up another TD super fast.

What really popped out on the film was JAX's defense. Sometimes you see great players make good defenses look bad. In this case, a great defense made a really good looking QB look even better. They made him look better because they looked so good. They have a ton of team speed and can get after the QB with just 4 guys rushing the passer. Their secondary also has some really smart and good football players that understand their defense and identify what's attacking them quickly. This makes it really tough to complete anything beyond 5 yards on them. On top of that, they swarm to the ball really well. They have a really disruptive front in the run game and they were able to stymie a number of runs. Not sure who he is, but #95(Jones) for them was a huge factor in the run game. Kilgore and Tomlinsen couldn't handle him in the run game. There were a number of Hyde's runs that had no chance because of #95.

That defense is really, really good. That what makes what Jimmy did so impressive. It's one thing when a guy comes in and can laser throws into tight windows on his 1st or 2nd read when he's known the offense for a while. It's one thing when a guy comes in a plays backyard football and makes some impressive throws or plays. It's another thing completely when a guy comes in and executes through the entire play in a system he's only been in for 6 or 7 weeks. What I really like about Jimmy is his ability to red light his reads quickly and accurately. He has an ability to see what he needs to see in a really fast way to red light routes and move through his progressions. If we're comparing to other QB's A. Smith was able to red light routes quickly but too quickly in a lot of ways. He'd see single safety with a cushion and would redlight the streak as the number 1 read immediately(just an example) or he'd redlight 1 and 2 and look for the checkdown right away.

Jimmy has an ability to move through those first 2 or 3 in the progression really fast and still be able to find his 4th in rhythm and with accuracy.

The TD throw to Kittle was VERY impressive to me. It was a staple WCO play that's been around for decades but it was executed so well. It was a common double slant/flat concept(think of the play where we had PI called against Garcon early in the year) and JAX didn't reveal their coverage pre-snap. Post snap they went to a cover 3 but were flat footing the routes so that they were looking to jump anything like a slant, in, drag or quick out. Pre-snap the middle of the field looked taken away with 3 defenders there. Post snap, the FS turned his back to drop into a deep middle to take away anything in an intermediate zone in the end-zone. This opened up the soft spot underneath in a cover 3 zone for a split second. Jimmy took the snap, looked to his left at the slant/flat(1 and 2 in the progression) saw the flat footed defenders and then moved quickly to Kittle and was able to deliver a ball between 2 closing defenders. It was a thing of beauty and just how coaches draw something like that up.

So many times he makes plays look just how they are supposed to from the playbook. Yet, he still has the ability to make off-schedule plays.

It's hard not to feel like we're all getting to high on the kid, but his play makes it really, really hard not to. It's not just an exciting player, it's seeing textbook QBing with elite level arm talent, mechanics, and execution.

With all that, cheers and may you all have a happy new year! Here's to the next 9 months of talking about Jimmy and the off-season changes looking forward to playoff relevance again!!
I just drool over the placement of that Slant that I thought for sure was a pick 6 going the other way. How he squeezed that ball in between the corner and I believe an underneath LBer was ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone