Dial and Red Bryant are similar style players...Bryant is a bit quicker off the ball. But even having said that we've never seen Dial in an attack style defense. When he was allowed to attack the LOS he looked like a late round steal.
I highly doubt he gets cut...he has just as much versatility as anyone on that D-line
There are 692 users in the forums
D-Line Analysis
Shop Find 49ers gear online
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:15 PM
- reasonable1
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,894
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:34 PM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Dial and Red Bryant are similar style players...Bryant is a bit quicker off the ball. But even having said that we've never seen Dial in an attack style defense. When he was allowed to attack the LOS he looked like a late round steal.
I highly doubt he gets cut...he has just as much versatility as anyone on that D-line
This is key here. This philosophy is so different from years past, fans are having a hard time unseeing what they've seen players do from the old scheme and envisioning them in this scheme. Understandable.
I like Dial, like Jones and probably, will like Carradine in this scheme...the issue is, all three could be cut when you look at the 53. It's going to be tough. And since so many of our DL can play multiple positions, you could go with 8 instead of 9.
Jun 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM
- DonnieDarko
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,841
Lynch and Tank will get cut
Jun 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM
- PacTiger
- Member
- Posts: 30,146
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:Lynch and Tank will get cut
Someone who's potential hasn't materialized yet will be cut, that's for sure.
Jun 12, 2017 at 12:17 AM
- SmokeCrabtrees
- Veteran
- Posts: 15,580
I think they both make it.
So AA,Mitch,Buck,Thomas,Lynch,Elvis,Carradine,Dial and Blair. Is 9 DL too much?
To me, Dial and Blair are both expendable now and not cause they suck.
So AA,Mitch,Buck,Thomas,Lynch,Elvis,Carradine,Dial and Blair. Is 9 DL too much?
To me, Dial and Blair are both expendable now and not cause they suck.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jun 12, 2017 at 12:18 AM ]
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:57 AM
- Vito_Corleone
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,285
Originally posted by NCommand:
I like Dial, like Jones and probably, will like Carradine in this scheme...the issue is, all three could be cut when you look at the 53. It's going to be tough. And since so many of our DL can play multiple positions, you could go with 8 instead of 9.
They probably will trade 1 or 2 for WR or FS, etc
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:29 AM
- mayo49
- Veteran
- Posts: 65,216
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Lynch and Tank will get cut
Hopefully.
Jun 12, 2017 at 6:46 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by Vito_Corleone:Originally posted by NCommand:I like Dial, like Jones and probably, will like Carradine in this scheme...the issue is, all three could be cut when you look at the 53. It's going to be tough. And since so many of our DL can play multiple positions, you could go with 8 instead of 9.
They probably will trade 1 or 2 for WR or FS, etc
That certainly would be helpful to get stoke size at WR and some experienced depth at FS.
Jun 12, 2017 at 10:16 AM
- Giedi
- Veteran
- Posts: 34,484
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i agree, its smart cap wise and potential wise. If they are neck-n-neck...go with the rookie. He has more room to improve and will be more affordable with the next 4 years.
I really like DJ tho. His knock was that he wasnt a 3 down player, but with a heavy rotation...he will get a lot of rest and stay fresh throughout game, making an impact when he is in
The guys that plays the 2 gap 4-tech and2 gap 2-tech -- man I'd like those guys to be Ted Washington types of guys. Brute Strong, doesn't give ground. I could care less if they could rush the passer or not, I just don't want them giving ground on a double team. I'd also play one of the three on passing downs as the guy that would clog up the center on draw plays and quick hitters. D.J. Jones is 321 lbs, Quinton Dial is 318 lbs, and Earl Michell is 310 lbs. then you add Buckner who is 300 Lbs. That's a good selection of two gapping DT's in Saleh's system. I don't think you keep less than 3 guys for the two gapping roles. I'm thinking two play and one is a reserve to spell one of the two guys playing.
Quinton is younger than Mitchell, Buckner and DJ Jones are both younger than Quinton, just on youth alone (I've never seen Mitchell play) it seems it would be Mitchell that would be let go.
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM
- Buchy
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,842
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i agree, its smart cap wise and potential wise. If they are neck-n-neck...go with the rookie. He has more room to improve and will be more affordable with the next 4 years.
I really like DJ tho. His knock was that he wasnt a 3 down player, but with a heavy rotation...he will get a lot of rest and stay fresh throughout game, making an impact when he is in
The guys that plays the 2 gap 4-tech and2 gap 2-tech -- man I'd like those guys to be Ted Washington types of guys. Brute Strong, doesn't give ground. I could care less if they could rush the passer or not, I just don't want them giving ground on a double team. I'd also play one of the three on passing downs as the guy that would clog up the center on draw plays and quick hitters. D.J. Jones is 321 lbs, Quinton Dial is 318 lbs, and Earl Michell is 310 lbs. then you add Buckner who is 300 Lbs. That's a good selection of two gapping DT's in Saleh's system. I don't think you keep less than 3 guys for the two gapping roles. I'm thinking two play and one is a reserve to spell one of the two guys playing.Quinton is younger than Mitchell, Buckner and DJ Jones are both younger than Quinton, just on youth alone (I've never seen Mitchell play) it seems it would be Mitchell that would be let go.
Can't see it, Mitchell is their guy, they went and signed him as a target in FA.
I think Dial, Chris Jones and Carradine will likely be gone as legacies from the previous regime. Blair was very good in limited snaps last season and this scheme suits him better.
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:05 PM
- WRATHman44
- Staff
- Posts: 16,956
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I think they both make it.
So AA,Mitch,Buck,Thomas,Lynch,Elvis,Carradine,Dial and Blair. Is 9 DL too much?
To me, Dial and Blair are both expendable now and not cause they suck.
You have Pita getting cut? I don't think he makes it to the PS, and Lynch seems to LOVE his work ethic.
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:08 PM
- GhostOfBaalke
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,115
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:I think they both make it.
So AA,Mitch,Buck,Thomas,Lynch,Elvis,Carradine,Dial and Blair. Is 9 DL too much?
To me, Dial and Blair are both expendable now and not cause they suck.
Last year we had.
D line
2016 (7): Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, Quinton Dial, Glenn Dorsey, Mike Purcell, Ronald Blair, Tony Jerod-Eddie
Outside Linebackers
2016 (3): Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Tank Carradine
+ Lynch who was suspended
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM
- WRATHman44
- Staff
- Posts: 16,956
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
I think they both make it.
So AA,Mitch,Buck,Thomas,Lynch,Elvis,Carradine,Dial and Blair. Is 9 DL too much?
To me, Dial and Blair are both expendable now and not cause they suck.
Last year we had.
D line
2016 (7): Arik Armstead, DeForest Buckner, Quinton Dial, Glenn Dorsey, Mike Purcell, Ronald Blair, Tony Jerod-Eddie
Outside Linebackers
2016 (3): Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Tank Carradine
+ Lynch who was suspended
So, that reasoning would anticipate ~11 roster spots b/w DL and SAM LB.
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:40 PM
- 808niner4lyphe
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,611
Carradine is taking 1st teams reps at OTAs, that means when Thomas comes in he'll be the starter while Tank be the 2nd string backup. Tank's roster spot is safe for now. He's finally playing a scheme that fits him well and he'll flourish like he did at Florida State playing in a 4-3 scheme. He was never a fit for a 3-4 scheme.
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Jun 12, 2017 at 3:41 PM ]
Jun 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM
- GoldenGateGlory
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,503
Tank will be a gun this year.
We have waited a long time but it will be worth it.
We have waited a long time but it will be worth it.