LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 145 users in the forums

Argument For Hiring a HC Before GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 16to87:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Maybe we should draft a QB first, then let him pick his HC, and then let the HC pick the GM! Has that ever worked before?
PraagJeddy logic in a nutshell

Not funny lolz.
Another point is that talking to potential GM's about potential coaches you almost have a hiring panel to select your new coach. The majority of the GM candidates wanted Shanahan, and it looks like Shanahan will be the hire. I wonder if the fact that most GM candidates wanted Shanahan played a role.
Originally posted by Jmahoney1979:
Another point is that talking to potential GM's about potential coaches you almost have a hiring panel to select your new coach. The majority of the GM candidates wanted Shanahan, and it looks like Shanahan will be the hire. I wonder if the fact that most GM candidates wanted Shanahan played a role.
I strongly assume that York received a priority list from all GM candidates.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Jmahoney1979:
I strongly assume that York received a priority list from all GM candidates.

Of course, and to add as a follow up question. How's your relationship with say, their top 3 choices.
Caserio, Gooty, and Wolf opting out is the exact reason why you hire a GM first. Coaches rarely last more than 10 years but GM's can be the heart of personnel for far beyond 10 years.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Caserio, Gooty, and Wolf opting out is the exact reason why you hire a GM first. Coaches rarely last more than 10 years but GM's can be the heart of personnel for far beyond 10 years.

Well it worked in KC and Seattle so it has to work for SF
The front office has done it before. Hired Mike Nolan to sat him to interview Scot McCloughan back in '05. Maybe that is how Paraag/York prefers it.
HC first, GM first, it doesn't matter

If the GM can't draft then the HC and GM will both fail.
Share 49ersWebzone