LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Argument For Hiring a HC Before GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
While I'm of the mindset that in an ideal world the GM should define the team (coach and players), I think there's a strong argument this offseason for us hiring the HC before the GM. The reason being supply and demand of quality candidates.

There are likely to be up to 8 HC openings, of which, many feel we are the least attractive (from a HC perspective). Unfortunately there are way fewer quality HC candidates out there (McDaniels, Shannahan, Toub, Shaw).

From a GM perspective, there is only 1 opening. Anyone that wants to be a GM this year, has to choose the 49ers. Options aside, we'd be one of the most attractive options to an ambitious/confident GM as we have an insane amount of untapped capital (draft picks and salary cap).

Given the above, if we can close on one of the top 4 HC options (as a perk allow them to help select the GM from a short list we provide of our current candidates) that would make our HC offer much more appealing and enable us to act faster. Ultimately we should have a sense of who would work with who so I feel getting the GM would actually be easier and would still accomplish getting 2 candidates that are aligned in their vision. Since there are so few good HC candidates this would also eliminate the possibility that we hire a GM that ultimately takes us out of contention for the best HC options and enable us to further vet the GM we do pick (as if a top HC doesn't want them there must be something wrong).

Thoughts?
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
While I'm of the mindset that in an ideal world the GM should define the team (coach and players), I think there's a strong argument this offseason for us hiring the HC before the GM. The reason being supply and demand of quality candidates.

There are likely to be up to 8 HC openings, of which, many feel we are the least attractive (from a HC perspective). Unfortunately there are way fewer quality HC candidates out there (McDaniels, Shannahan, Toub, Shaw).

From a GM perspective, there is only 1 opening. Anyone that wants to be a GM this year, has to choose the 49ers. Options aside, we'd be one of the most attractive options to an ambitious/confident GM as we have an insane amount of untapped capital (draft picks and salary cap).

Given the above, if we can close on one of the top 4 HC options (as a perk allow them to help select the GM from a short list we provide of our current candidates) that would make our HC offer much more appealing and enable us to act faster. Ultimately we should have a sense of who would work with who so I feel getting the GM would actually be easier and would still accomplish getting 2 candidates that are aligned in their vision. Since there are so few good HC candidates this would also eliminate the possibility that we hire a GM that ultimately takes us out of contention for the best HC options and enable us to further vet the GM we do pick (as if a top HC doesn't want them there must be something wrong).

Thoughts?

I see your point and I would agree if there was a great mind and leader running football operations.
I think a great GM will want to be able to build a team in his image including in the HC position and I am more trusting of a potential GM to hire a coach than I am of Marathe and Jed.
Jed and Paraag picking a HC and then picking a GM does not sound like a solid plan.
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Jan 3, 2017 at 5:38 PM ]
Maybe we should draft a QB first, then let him pick his HC, and then let the HC pick the GM! Has that ever worked before?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I see your point and I would agree if there was a great mind and leader running football operations.
I think a great GM will want to be able to build a team in his image including in the HC position and I am more trusting of a potential GM to hire a coach than I am of Marathe and Jed.
Jed and Paraag picking a HC and then picking a GM does not sound like a solid plan.

Agree. Get a GM from a successful franchise in here first, then let him pick the HC.
Need to do this the right way. Hire a GM first, then let him hire his HC.
To me the only way this makes sense is if your top 3 GM candidates all want the same HC and they got to lock up the HC now while the GMs mull the option.
Nah, fool
Got a hunch it will be GM, then HC if they do it right, but they will miss out on the top Candidates (HC) while they search.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
With any luck we get a package deal on both (Shanahans, McDaniels & Caserio) otherwise I think it will be whichever best candidate we can lock in first. If you can get a rockstar for one, getting the other becomes a lot easier.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Means Paraag still gonna be running s**t tbph lol

They're probably interviewing people on both openings that got the sense or word they would like to work with each other. We just don't know the combos.
It doesn't matter which comes first, they just gotta be able to have the same vision, work together, and the GM needs to find talent in the draft.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Got a hunch it will be GM, then HC if they do it right, but they will miss out on the top Candidates (HC) while they search.

Pete Carroll hired John Schneider. Did they do it wrong?
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Maybe we should draft a QB first, then let him pick his HC, and then let the HC pick the GM! Has that ever worked before?

I'm not sure a college kid is the ideal person to select our head coach...

But then again, neither is Jed York.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Pete Carroll hired John Schneider. Did they do it wrong?

What makes you think the HC that Marathe and York hire would jhave any say in who they hire for GM? I think they want both the GM and Coach to be chosen by them and answering to them directly.
Share 49ersWebzone