There are 175 users in the forums

Argument For Hiring a HC Before GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Got a hunch it will be GM, then HC if they do it right, but they will miss out on the top Candidates (HC) while they search.

Pete Carroll hired John Schneider. Did they do it wrong?

What makes you think the HC that Marathe and York hire would jhave any say in who they hire for GM? I think they want both the GM and Coach to be chosen by them and answering to them directly.

Yeah but if Shaw is like yo I'll come if Riddick is GM... even if you're not the most fund of Riddick or he's not on top of your wish list you probably say fudge it lol.
Availability is the main reason Jed and Paraag are interviewing McDaniels and Kyle Shanahan this week. They've asked to interview the Pats' Nick Caserio, no word yet on any commitment from NE. It may depend on how the interview w/McDaniels goes. If it's positive, NE may agree to allow Caserio to interview. I really like the potential of a Caserio - McDaniels pairing...and you'd figure Caserio would be able to get a deal done to nab Jimmy Garrapolo. If not that package, then I think it's advantageous to hire a GM first...because they're "football guys" and have the expertise to build a team with the right HC. It can work the other way, I suppose, IF the GM's ok with the HC our FO wants to hire. Still, it should be their deal, not Jed's.
If 1 person hires 2 different people chances are harder to get them on the same page but if 1 person hires 1 and then tells him to hire his subordinate its a little easier

Look at it this way. If your a GM in an intv do you want your HC in there as part of the intv to help decide his boss

People have been praising jeds business acumen but that is not how any business runs
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Maybe we should draft a QB first, then let him pick his HC, and then let the HC pick the GM! Has that ever worked before?

I'm not sure a college kid is the ideal person to select our head coach...

But then again, neither is Jed York.

Lol
Got a hunch it will be GM, then HC if they do it right, but they will miss out on the top Candidates (HC) while they search.

What makes you think the HC that Marathe and York hire would jhave any say in who they hire for GM? I think they want both the GM and Coach to be chosen by them and answering to them directly.

So they don't want their HC and GM to get along? Oh ok.
I thought Baalkelly made a solid tandem and Trent hired Kelly(who thought they can work well together,especially with Gamble being the middle man)...

I think he felt there was still a missing element and or vision which is why we're in this position currently.
We 100% have to pick the HC first. I agree that it's not ideal, but it's reality. We don't have the time to complete the GM hiring process and then move on to the coach. Additionally, allowing the coach to help select the GM will make this job more appealing. Given that we will have significant competition for Shanahan and McDaniels, we need all the help we can get.
  • titan
  • Veteran
If head coach is here before the GM it will be more excuse why they weren't successful. Pick the GM l, let them pick the HC and let them build the team. NO MORE EXCUSES!!!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I think you have already answered yourself already. The argument is simple, ever heard of the saying "first come first serve"?

To begin with, it is not like the 9ers' job is head and shoulders better than the rest, in fact quite the contrary. On top of that, you have to compete with 5 other teams.

Under the circumstances, we will have to think on our feet. If that means we might have to hire the HC first, then be it.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Pat Kirwan talked about this yesterday on moving the chains.
If you hire a young HC who's never been a HC before it might be harder for him without having a GM in place first.
If you hire a veteran HC who knows what's going on it prob doesn't make a big deal if both guys can work together.

Is the new HC going to have control over the draft and final say in the roster? If yes then no big deal in hiring the HC first. If no then that could be a prob getting a GM after.

Each job is different and there's a million different factors.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
NFLN called the indecision of weather to hire the HC or GM first, along with interviewing such young candidates, "very silicon valley" and they like it.

So they don't want their HC and GM to get along? Oh ok.

I didn't say that but it would seem to be easier to let get thet result by letting the GM pick his coach rather than forcing a coach on the GM.
Originally posted by teylo31:
If 1 person hires 2 different people chances are harder to get them on the same page but if 1 person hires 1 and then tells him to hire his subordinate its a little easier

Look at it this way. If your a GM in an intv do you want your HC in there as part of the intv to help decide his boss

People have been praising jeds business acumen but that is not how any business runs

Agreed and Jed has virtually no job experience other than working for his mom.
All I know is we need to make the moves quickly before the top HC candidates are gone like we did 2 years ago. I wouldn't be against offering shanahan the job right now and finding a GM who could work with him later since no other team is looking for GM.
I think the attractive jobs will need to be filled before someone rolls the dice on Jed and Paraag
Share 49ersWebzone