There are 228 users in the forums

New GM Search, Rumors, and all other points of interest

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New GM Search, Rumors, and all other points of interest

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
IMO, whoever they hire as GM

the decision will be panned by the Zone

Not if they hire a legit respected candidate. If they hire a Chris Ballard or a George Paton, only people trolling will have reason to complain really.
Ballard is my number one choice personally. Since this is the gm thread though, I wanna throw some other names out there for discussion. What are your thoughts about Brandon Beane Phoenix? Eventhough there is some belief out there that this may be another Decosta situation where he is being groomed as Gettleman's successor in Carolina.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 1, 2017 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
"Anybody is better than Baalke" ~ NT
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Ballard is my number one choice personally. Since this is the gm thread though, I wanna throw some other names out there for discussion. What are your thoughts about Brandon Beane Phoenix? Eventhough there is some belief out there that this may be another Decosta situation where he is being groomed as Gettleman's successor in Carolina.

Beane is one that is interesting, although it does appear as if he is being groomed as GM-in-waiting. Brian Gutekunst of the Packers, Kirchner of the Seahawks, and McDonough of the Cards are some interesting names too.

I really do think Ballard would be a fantastic choice. He got credit for being the driving force behind some outstanding draft picks with the Bears.

I do hope that they bring in someone new, with fresh ideas, not a fan of failed retreads like Pioli or Polian.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
Wolf is not leaving GB.

Doubtful anyone linked to Belichick comes here after Kelly gets canned. Belichick was critical of the Iggles firing Kelly after 3 years, what do you think he'll be saying to his guys in private about the 49ers?

If they want a promotion and a chance to do that right now, they will take that opportunity. If they are willing to sit back and wait, then I agree Bill will probably have a significant influence
Why should any talented guy come here after York had proved that he is quite a psycho?
Brandon Beane or Nick Caserio
Originally posted by Sims19849ers:
If they want a promotion and a chance to do that right now, they will take that opportunity. If they are willing to sit back and wait, then I agree Bill will probably have a significant influence

In recent years we've seen top GM candidates routinely turn down interviews. Some of these guys will be content to stay where they are and wait their turn rather than dive headfirst into a sketchy situation.

Some like Decosta and Wolf have basically been promised the GM jobs and have a tremendous amount of power with their existing positions already.

Ballard, Caserio, McClay and Paton meanwhile can afford to be picky as they will continually garner interest due to how respected they are around the NFL.

If I was the owner I'd throw complete control and a huge salary at Ballard or Paton to come in and right the ship but I dont think the Yorks are bout dat life.

I feel like they will try to secure the best guy they can for a set salary that will have no issue working within the existing salary cap parameters designated by Marathe.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 3:46 PM ]

Beane is one that is interesting, although it does appear as if he is being groomed as GM-in-waiting. Brian Gutekunst of the Packers, Kirchner of the Seahawks, and McDonough of the Cards are some interesting names too.

I really do think Ballard would be a fantastic choice. He got credit for being the driving force behind some outstanding draft picks.

I do hope that they bring in someone new, with fresh ideas, not a fan of failed retreads like Pioli or Polian.

Please God no. Especially to Pioli. He reminds me of Baalke with how he assembled some decent defensive pieces in Kansas City but failed to produce much on the offensive side of the ball. He inherited Jamal Charles and Dwayne Bowe (when he didn't suck), and he was a massive control freak as well.

Yeah Beane intrigues me. Without knowing his long term commitments to Carolina though, makes it tough to see him as a legit candidate for us. Duke Tobin would be an awesome candidate if he could be pryed away from Cincinnati. I don't see it happening though and if it did, it wouldn't be to come work for the Yorks. Great candidate though.

Back on Ballard though. I know you had posted some info on Dave Toub earlier. It's ironic because I was doing some research on him the other day and thought he'd make a great candidate. He's not a sexy pick but is well respected within league circles. Maybe Ballard and Toub could be a realistic option/duo for us, since they are familiar with each other.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 1, 2017 at 3:55 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Ray Fatto said it best, this is a chance for Jed to set his legacy:

1. How important football truly is to him.

2. How important his ego truly is to him.

3. How important getting credit for success is to him.

4. How important avoiding blame is to him.

5. And finally, what does he really want the 49ers to be to him and his family – crown jewel or cash cow.
I hope they are better at building the offensive skill players.

I really do think Ballard would be a fantastic choice. He got credit for being the driving force behind some outstanding draft picks.

Please God no. Especially to Pioli. He reminds me of Baalke with how he assembled some decent defensive pieces in Kansas City but failed to produce much on the offensive side of the ball. He inherited Jamal Charles and Dwayne Bowe (when he didn't suck), and he was a massive control freak as well.

Yeah Beane intrigues me. Without knowing his long term commitments to Carolina though, makes it tough to see him as a legit candidate for us. Duke Tobin would be an awesome candidate if he could be pryed away from Cincinnati. I don't see it happening though and if it did, it wouldn't be to come work for the Yorks. Great candidate though.

Back on Ballard though. I know you had posted some info on Dave Toub earlier. It's ironic because I was doing some research on him the other day and thought he'd make a great candidate. He's not a sexy pick but is well respected within league circles. Maybe Ballard and Toub could be a realistic option/duo for us, since they are familiar with each other.

I wonder what kind of coaching staff Toub could hire?
Originally posted by Kuya:
Can 49ers please model off what the Golden State Warriors are doing please!

Warriors hit the jackpot when they snagged the LOGO away from LA....nothing like that is going to happen in SF.
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:05 PM ]

Louis Riddick please.
Trey Brown looks pretty skilled with that Microsoft tablet.... And he has some Patriot blood.
-wrong thread-
[ Edited by judodono on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:17 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Florio reporting Ryan Grigson more likely to be fired than Pagano.

That's a better GM job than SF.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I wonder what kind of coaching staff Toub could hire?

My guess would be a pretty good one. He's been coaching in the NFL for 15 years with the Eagles, Bears and Chiefs. He's well respected around the league and being a special teams coach, coordinators could have a certain degree of autonomy in running their sides of the football. I think talented assistants would be happy to work under a guy like that.

Overall his resume is better than that of John Harbaugh when he was hired by the Ravens and Harbaugh has continually brought in talented assistants.
Share 49ersWebzone