There are 208 users in the forums

New GM Search, Rumors, and all other points of interest

Shop Find 49ers gear online

New GM Search, Rumors, and all other points of interest

Originally posted by FL9er:
Florio reporting Ryan Grigson more likely to be fired than Pagano.

That's a better GM job than SF.

Not if the new GM gets saddled with Pagano. Indy really should clean house, that would be a premium job for both HC's and GM's.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Florio reporting Ryan Grigson more likely to be fired than Pagano.

That's a better GM job than SF.

No. Its a better coaching job because of Luck. Not sure i would say its a better GM job.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I wonder what kind of coaching staff Toub could hire?

My guess would be a pretty good one. He's been coaching in the NFL for 15 years with the Eagles, Bears and Chiefs. He's well respected around the league and being a special teams coach, coordinators could have a certain degree of autonomy in running their sides of the football. I think talented assistants would be happy to work under a guy like that.

Overall his resume is better than that of John Harbaugh when he was hired by the Ravens and Harbaugh has continually brought in talented assistants.

On a quick look, the two biggest names I see he has worked offensively with before Kansas City that are still active coaches in the NFL are Pep Hamilton and Pat Shurmur. He's never really worked with a 3-4 coordinator before Kansas City.

Your right though, I wouldn't put too much stock in that. He's arguably the best special teams coach in the league. Guys that have carved out a 15 year career for themselves in the NFL and are among the best at their craft usually have networked themselves through more than just people that they have directly worked with.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Louis Riddick please.

Easily my favorite football mind to follow from January to April. He has an eye for talent.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
On a quick look, the two biggest names I see he has worked offensively with before Kansas City that are still active coaches in the NFL are Pep Hamilton and Pat Shurmur. He's never really worked with a 3-4 coordinator before Kansas City.

Your right though, I wouldn't put too much stock in that. He's arguably the best special teams coach in the league. Guys that have carved out a 15 year career for themselves in the NFL and are among the best at their craft usually have networked themselves through more than just people that they have directly worked with.

Just look at Dan Quinn as an example and some of the guys he brought with him.

I just look at that list of top coaching candidates and Toub is the only guy that to me seems to have "WOW" potential. Kyle Shanahan seems fine and I think he could even do a good job but to me Toub is the most inspiring choice, a guy who everyone who ever worked with him or played for him seems to love, who is respected by other coaches and front office personnel alike, who has had a lot of attention as a head coaching candidate but being a special teams coordinator seems to have worked against him. If he was an OC or DC whose units routinely finished in the top 3 in the NFL for a decade, he'd long ago have been hired for a HC job.

I would hope that the 49ers at least sit down and interview him.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 1, 2017 at 4:41 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TampaBay9er:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Louis Riddick please.

Easily my favorite football mind to follow from January to April. He has an eye for talent.

Keep in mind there is a reason he is on TV and not in an NFL front office.
Game is done, come on n lets get it over wit. I wanna see Chip leavin out from the facility the way Sing did.
Time to hire the Atlanta assist Gm and offensive coordinator
I think Louis Riddick would be a great hire. Former NFL S, scout and director of pro personnel (with 'Skins and Eagles). Last 3 yrs NFL analyst on ESPN...exceptionally bright, very well spoken and the right experience.
Originally posted by TOtheGreat:
Time to hire the Atlanta assist Gm and offensive coordinator

Yeah, let's replace Baalke with a meaner, s**ttier version of Baalke.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not if the new GM gets saddled with Pagano. Indy really should clean house, that would be a premium job for both HC's and GM's.

What do you think of the report of Hue Jackson wanting to bring in a head of football ops and reports of conflict between the front office and coaching staff?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Why do you people here always think the Niners job is the worst in the NFL? You realize every other team with an opening has fan boards like this proclaiming their own opening as the worst. Same real Opus Dei s**t going on here.
What do you think of the report of Hue Jackson wanting to bring in a head of football ops and reports of conflict between the front office and coaching staff?

In Cleveland? I expect that experiment to blow up eventually. Their most credible personnel guy is a 30 year old scout with limited experience. Their GM never had a job in personnel of any kind prior to being named to that position. Long term I see that whole thing crashing down.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Keep in mind there is a reason he is on TV and not in an NFL front office.

Same could be said for guys like Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher, sometimes the reason is choice.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by okdkid:
Why do you people here always think the Niners job is the worst in the NFL? You realize every other team with an opening has fan boards like this proclaiming their own opening as the worst. Same real Opus Dei s**t going on here.

Best job imo. Work 1 year get paid for 4 years
Share 49ersWebzone