LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

Week 6 Buff Bills Coaches Film Analysis Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm surprised at the middle of the road assessment for kap. Imo, kaps best plays are when kap runs from the pocket. Kap did pull the trigger 29 times but was largely unsuccessful. This is where I feel he really underperformed. The bills took away the middle of the field and kap missed many of his outside targets. He should have run more or used his check down more. I would give him a D for his performance.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by thl408:
The only way I see an improvement is if guys like DeFo and AA improve their game. I don't see some dramatic scheme change at this point. Guys like Bellore/Wilhoite/Dial/Dorsey are who they are and won't be improving much, maybe Dial.

Dial and Dorsey need to see the field more to have an impact. Dorsey saw 24% of the snaps and Dial 47%. Buckner and AA both saw over 85% of the snaps and could be blamed as being part of the problem. M.Maiocco had former 49er Dennis Brown on his podcast this week and his analysis was that these two guys were not being prepared properly to play their roles on the D.Line. That they were making mistakes in execution that are excusable in college ball but in the NFL is leading them to miss plays, take poor angles, poor leverage...ect. That they are both helped and hindered by their height and without proper execution will continue to take themselves out of plays. Coaching is a serious issue on our Defense.

I said this way back in the forums when the 49ers trained with the Broncos in training camp: "Defensive coaching was really weird. It was mostly Tarver barking out instructions. I rarely saw or heard O'neal (I'm not sure what is normal either)."

I was standing within 10 yards of O'Neil and I rarely saw him do any coaching. It was either Haley, Tarver and occassionally Azzinaro. I don't know what is normal and they were shifting players in and out quickly but I thought I would at least see O'Neil yelling at players if they messed up because the Broncos were making them look bad at the time.
Originally posted by PacTiger:
I'm surprised at the middle of the road assessment for kap. Imo, kaps best plays are when kap runs from the pocket. Kap did pull the trigger 29 times but was largely unsuccessful. This is where I feel he really underperformed. The bills took away the middle of the field and kap missed many of his outside targets. He should have run more or used his check down more. I would give him a D for his performance.

Of course you would, No surprise here.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Elephant in the room. so how did they give up 986 yards on the ground and can they fix it moving forward and how? Thx

I covered a lot of both our running game and our run defense in the last film thread - a LOT of that applies directly here as well. Same mistakes, same problems. I was hoping to be able to tackle a lot of breakdowns of the run game today but I've gotten swamped with work and then have a meeting after work for 2-3 hours. So, I won't be able to tackle that til tomorrow, if I even have time tomorrow.

That, and I'm still working on the construction of my coming baby's room :) Not that I don't love y'all, I'm more in love with my coming baby girl and want to make sure her room is perfect
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Elephant in the room. so how did they give up 986 yards on the ground and can they fix it moving forward and how? Thx

I covered a lot of both our running game and our run defense in the last film thread - a LOT of that applies directly here as well. Same mistakes, same problems. I was hoping to be able to tackle a lot of breakdowns of the run game today but I've gotten swamped with work and then have a meeting after work for 2-3 hours. So, I won't be able to tackle that til tomorrow, if I even have time tomorrow.

That, and I'm still working on the construction of my coming baby's room :) Not that I don't love y'all, I'm more in love with my coming baby girl and want to make sure her room is perfect

You're going to be a great father. And I bet your daughter will turn out to be a film junkie too. LOL
  • thl408

I felt his decision making - targeting the correct WR, justified scrambles - was good for someone with a long layoff. As examples, the overthrow to Draughn and Torrey that could have been TDs. There was also an overthrow to Kerley along the sideline that could have extended a drive in the 3rd quarter .Those were the correct decisions, but the throw was not good enough, whether due to inaccuracy or late timing, which made the passing window smaller and harder to complete.

All summer I claimed that Kap was not a good enough decision maker to operate Chip's offense. Over the past 2 seasons, he has shown to be slow, and occasionally incorrect with his targets. So I looked closely at that aspect, separating decision making from accuracy because the two are independent of one another imo. He had a good 1st half with inflated stats from the Patton sweeps that went into the boxscore as completions.

In the 3rd quarter, I only counted one 'bad decision' and it was on a non-throw where he didn't pull the trigger on a 3 step timing play, then got sacked for -1. There were a few plays where no separation resulted in incompletions, he had Torrey in the end zone on a Deep Post that was underthrown (good decision), on top of Torrey lollygagging out of his break. I didn't watch the 4th quarter because that was garbage.

Perhaps I put too much weight on decision making and not enough on timing/accuracy, since all three has to occur for a good QB play. I was just most interested in his ability to process the play and make the correct target since that was my reasoning for thinking he wouldn't succeed in this offense.

Love what you do here....but yes make sure you get that room done congrats again!

Yes, absolutely enjoy and appreciate what you do! Family comes first. Enjoy your new baby girl!
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Ryan was wearing a mike during the 49er game. He made a very interesting comment when Torrey Smith caught the touchdown pass. The quote was how the BLEEP did he get loose. BLEEP All he does is BLEEP run vertical.

Certainly indicates what he thinks about Smith and his route running.
Originally posted by valrod33:
need the gif of Torrey Smith dogging it on the underthrow in the endzone from kaep

Yeah, seems like he's built some bad habits from his time here.

Originally posted by thl408:

I felt his decision making - targeting the correct WR, justified scrambles - was good for someone with a long layoff. As examples, the overthrow to Draughn and Torrey that could have been TDs. There was also an overthrow to Kerley along the sideline that could have extended a drive in the 3rd quarter .Those were the correct decisions, but the throw was not good enough, whether due to inaccuracy or late timing, which made the passing window smaller and harder to complete.

All summer I claimed that Kap was not a good enough decision maker to operate Chip's offense. Over the past 2 seasons, he has shown to be slow, and occasionally incorrect with his targets. So I looked closely at that aspect, separating decision making from accuracy because the two are independent of one another imo. He had a good 1st half with inflated stats from the Patton sweeps that went into the boxscore as completions.

In the 3rd quarter, I only counted one 'bad decision' and it was on a non-throw where he didn't pull the trigger on a 3 step timing play, then got sacked for -1. There were a few plays where no separation resulted in incompletions, he had Torrey in the end zone on a Deep Post that was underthrown (good decision), on top of Torrey lollygagging out of his break. I didn't watch the 4th quarter because that was garbage.

Perhaps I put too much weight on decision making and not enough on timing/accuracy, since all three has to occur for a good QB play. I was just most interested in his ability to process the play and make the correct target since that was my reasoning for thinking he wouldn't succeed in this offense.

Maybe I was too harsh in grading kap for trying for tight windows instead of running. Difficult to judge when Wrs usually don't get separation or sometimes quitting on routes.
It seems like 90% of Torrey's routes are either a go route or a post route. I would like to see him run more crossing patterns since he is so fast and he can get that yac, much like his 1st completion from Kap, he hits him on a 5 yard cross and throws it out in front of him and Torrey runs another 5-6 yards across the field for the 1st down.

I know THL broke down some tape on Torrey when he first got here and in Bal, he ran a bunch of deep curl routes for completions. Idk why we don't run these, Kap prefers to throw to the outside and he has the arm strength. Not to mention most teams play man against our WR's and those work well against man. Lastly I think we should move Torrey around a little. He can't be any worse at running routes than Patton, let's get him involved more cmon chip.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
It seems like 90% of Torrey's routes are either a go route or a post route. I would like to see him run more crossing patterns since he is so fast and he can get that yac, much like his 1st completion from Kap, he hits him on a 5 yard cross and throws it out in front of him and Torrey runs another 5-6 yards across the field for the 1st down.

I know THL broke down some tape on Torrey when he first got here and in Bal, he ran a bunch of deep curl routes for completions. Idk why we don't run these, Kap prefers to throw to the outside and he has the arm strength. Not to mention most teams play man against our WR's and those work well against man. Lastly I think we should move Torrey around a little. He can't be any worse at running routes than Patton, let's get him involved more cmon chip.

I wouldn't be surprised to see streeter start in front of Patton this week.
  • thl408
Some Torrey plays. Good to see him get targeted more often.
This is a staple Chip play.
Shallow Cross (red + yellow) + Curl-Flat (orange + green) vs Quarters

The strongside C/F defender sees Torrey break inside and gives the audible "Under", which alerts his team mate (!!) that a WR is dragging underneath.

The LB matches Torrey's drag and gets into a trail position. The mistake he makes is not being further from Torrey's upfield shoulder. He is too close to Torrey and gets near parallel with Torrey. When defending a drag, it's best to stay a bit further upfield because once the WR catches the pass, the WR needs to get upfield. Being further upfield would all the defender to take a better angle and attack downhill to make the tackle.

Once Torrey makes the catch, he can turn upfield and outrun the LB. +15
  • thl408
Here's the miss on the deep post in the 1st quarter. Seems like every game this season there's a missed opportunity to hit on a splash play.

vs Cover0
Notice Torrey's plus split. How close he is to the sideline. When a CB is manned up with a WR with a plus split, he needs to use the sideline as a help defender.

The CB loses off the LoS and now has outside leverage with no help to the inside since it's Cover0.

Kap mid windup. Torrey has about a step and a half on his CB.

Kap hit as he throws. Overthrown.
Share 49ersWebzone